Crossbows/Archers

• Hi, as I have been enjoying the game, I seem to have noticed that the crossbows are a bit powerful for how fast they reload, as well as crossbow and archer spamming. I would sincerely hope that you guys will consider reducing damage or increasing draw/reload time of ranged classes. Thanks for the great game!

• I think Crossbowmen are fairly balanced because they are sitting ducks after they fired their shot making them completely oblivious to their surroundings. For bowmen their hail of arrows are compensated with mediocre damage and the need to compensate for the movement of their targets.

A common survival strategy against archers is this: Be unpredictable. That means you run in a zig zag patterns toward the archer while making unexpected turns. If done correctly the archer is wasting his arrows\bolts and the enemy team got a archer doing no damage to your team.

• Yes I would agree, but like I said, I have been witness (and victim) to crossbow men, who have fired a shot, took 3 steps back, reloaded and shot me (as a full sprinting vanguard). I have also watched some crossbowmen in spectator mode and they reload in about 1 second to 1.5 seconds. If you haven’t hit them by the time they reloaded, and you are close, it turns into a shotgun and kills you.

• Think you met the Light Crossbow :P. Slightly less damaging than the vanilla Crossbow bit have a way faster reload speed and more arcing projectiles.

• Could be possible. But both still take about half a health bar, which in my opinion is absurd for how fast it is. I would think MAYBE like 25% health taken for each hit and 50% for a head shot, rather than the normal ~90%

• @Dagger11:

Could be possible. But both still take about half a health bar, which in my opinion is absurd for how fast it is. I would think MAYBE like 25% health taken for each hit and 50% for a head shot, rather than the normal ~90%

I could see 33% and 75%. But I think crossbows are already balanced, so there’s really no need.

• Most of the projectile based weaponry is fine. Both crossbows and bows are well balanced in my opinion. They’re still annoying though. ;)

• I would have to disagree with you Hexen. I think crossbows should not take 50% health, if they have a short reload time. I don’t know where you guys are getting a “long reload time” from. Like I said before, I have watched crossbow men during spectator mode reload in less than 2 seconds. I would like to see a reduction in damage or an increase in reload time in all ranged weapons, especially crossbows. It’s the only thing in this game I have a gripe about.

• Crossbows are significantly worse than the war bow.

• There’s a simple technique to take out zig-zag runners. When you see that they keep running to the left, then to the right, then to the left, you may notice that there’s a center of their movement which you can aim at, so when he is about to change from right to left, you would fire and break his zig-zag dancing pattern straight open, after you’ve made your first shot at him, he will most likely get frustrated cause his dancing didn’t work out and go straight for you. With other words, you’ll damage him physically and mentally with your arrow ! Miss and you’re dead although :-P

• Thanks for all the techniques about how to dodge a crossbow/bow, but I didn’t really make this thread about that. I’m simply talking about damage and reload times. Many of you think its balanced. I just don’t agree. I don’t want to keep saying the same thing over and over, but its just from what I have experienced. If the archers are balanced and I’m just unluckily getting killed everytime, maybe introduce class limits on archers.

• Xbows are pretty balanced in my opinion. They are suppose to do a lot of damage, it is what they were meant to do.

Heck, the Pope supposedly wanted to BAN them because a lowly commoner could pick one up and easily dispatch an armored nobleman. (likely a myth). The Crossbow was the real armor piercing weapon of the time.

I have had a lot of success with it too. Once you understand the range. I have head-shotted the King all the way from the fountain on that one map.

Yea they can reload sort of fast…but you supposedly play a well trained Xbowman. Not like you are down a Siege crossbow that requires a winch.

• You have good points, but we have to balance it someone how. I mean, in that case you mind was well make the battleaxe swing as fast as a greatsword eh?

• @Dagger11:

You have good points, but we have to balance it someone how. I mean, in that case you mind was well make the battleaxe swing as fast as a greatsword eh?

We actually don’t have to balance it. Yes, crossbows do a lot of damage. But you’re also blind and immobile for the 2 seconds it takes to reload, and if you miss, you’re screwed. If you don’t like getting hit by arrows then don’t run straight at the archer, or use a shield. Both are options. You can keep arguing with everyone on this thread, but I don’t think you’ll have any luck.

• @SlyGoat:

Crossbows are significantly worse than the war bow.

This is too true, I haven’t used any crossbow in ages because the Warbow is much better. And the speed of the crossbow reload should be taken with a grain of salt, as you can’t see anything and are completely open to attack while reloading.