Chivalry: Medieval Warfare Patch 46 BETA

• Developer

@gregcau said:

Aww those Output tree holes were fun but I suppose they had to go. Invisible boats fix is nice.

I would be interested to know what the kick range was and what it is now.

The top remaining bugs I see in TO are

• Invisible trebuchet bug (which also grants invisibility)
    • Citadel bug that crashes 1/2 the server (though I doubt that will ever be found)
    • Ballistae rendered unusable bug

None come up too often so one can live with them.

As far as the artwork - very nice. The items I would still like

• An attractive open face Mason helm
    • Brandistock, sharp claw is ok but still needs some hard ass that fits the damage
    • Sling, we have nothing yet!
    • Polehammer, we have nothing yet!

Thanks for the feedback Gregcau, we’ll keep it in mind. The invisible trebuchet bug… Do you mean the invisible catapult?

We’re aware of the others but as you mentioned they aren’t that common so we’re having some trouble tracking them down.

• you can still move away from the Belmez pyres and keep progessing the objective. not being able to use the mouse while doing makes it a little trickier though.

• Speaking of maps, I frequently plays pub games, especially TO, and there’s some serious lack in balance on certain maps/objectives. Some are probably a bit too late to fix, but I made a list either way.

Hillside:

• The first objective is hard to get to for attackers, but once they’ve gotten the pyre lit there’s no way for defenders to get from spawn to the pyre itself in time, when it includes fighting enemies around it, the task becomes even harder. This is not a big problem because it’s the first stage.

• The second objective is almost too easy for attackers, it is however possible to defend. #BringBackTreb3AndRemoveTreb 4

• The third stage is close to impossible to defend, most likely because you take fall damage to get to the lower ballista, and once you’re down there there’s no quick way to get upstairs again.

Battlegrounds:

• The second stage is far too long for attackers, it’s not impossible, but it’s a bit of a marathon. In LTS for example, there’s this wooden barricade covering the mason side of the river, it’s most likely too late, but a new objective could be around there, which would later move the agatha spawn slightly closer to the final objective. Otherwise increasing the defenders respawn time slightly might help.

Stoneshill:

• The second stage is a bit too open for archers, and as an attacker it’s just anti-fun to run across the wide open terrain just to stop and heal at every sparse cover you can find. Removing access to the wall would definitely help with this; or if the part where the oil can be poured down would be the only part accesible for defenders it would also help.

• The third stage is too far of a run for attackers, instead of making them spawn outside the gates they should spawn right before the courtyard.

King’s Garden:

• The second stage is close to impossible to defend, never seen it happen. It also results in 13+ minutes for the king stage, which is usually done in 5 minutes. It might just be that the attackers gain too much time for each stage they clear, but there needs to be some balancing there.

Drunken Bazaar:

• The last stage is far too hard to defend, the objectives are far too sparse and way too easy for attackers to reach. Perhaps removing the forward spawn would balance the objective.

Cove:

• The last part of stage 2, during the actual ramming, is too open for archers on either team.

• The last stage is just annoying and cluttered, if the defenders focus on the library it’s close to impossible for the attackers.

Shore:

• It’s barely ever that the first three stages will be won by defenders.

• The last stage is almost impossible for attackers though, as you have to kill the whole enemy team twice, once with your full hp team mates, not really a problem, and once with half your team and everyone on low HP, which is annoying. It can be won, but it’s a bit too hard. Increase defenders respawn timers.

Coldfront:

• Second stage is a bit too hard to defend, but it’s msot likely because defenders are too stupid to destroy the siege weapons, maybe objective markers on them would help, like “destroy catapult/ballista”

• The third stage is stupid, and the king escape is a pita, but defenders can win by staying alive until the timer runs out.

Castle Assault:

• The second stage is a bit too long of a marathon for attackers.

Citadel and Irilla are just terrible maps, neither are well optimized or fun to play, so I won’t list the balance issues on either.

Darkforest and Outpost are fairly balanced as defenders can win on every stage, but attackers have a chance. Darkforest does havea few problems though, mostly on 32p servers, but no sane person plays with more than 24 players; it’s also the best map for comp play, so as of right now, It should probably not be touched concerning objectives.

• can you fix this spot?

https://youtu.be/Icqevq3h-Mw

• @LongSun Thanks; been wondering how people are getting up there.

• filthy swine’s as Inspector Clouseau would say hehe. What often strikes me is the veteran walk they use as if they are
    good players to boot. I was about to post mine but can’t find that screenshot amongst my many offline atm grumbles.

• Developer

@Xylvion
    Thanks for this list Xylvion. At this point we aren’t planning on making any changes to the maps aside from bug fixes. If there are specific things within the maps that you feel are bugs or exploits that make the objectives harder/easier than they should be let us know and we’ll see what we can do about them.

• @Xylvion said:
    but no sane person plays with more than 24 players; it’s also the best map for comp play, so as of right now, It should probably not be touched concerning objectives.

I like to think of myself as a semi-sane person, and I play 32p for the sole reason of less arrows per capita. Not full 24p server where enemy team has 5 melee and 4 archers makes my already bad cancer even worse.

• @Killer-Crabs said:

@Xylvion
    Thanks for this list Xylvion. At this point we aren’t planning on making any changes to the maps aside from bug fixes. If there are specific things within the maps that you feel are bugs or exploits that make the objectives harder/easier than they should be let us know and we’ll see what we can do about them.

Every round of Castle Assault now is:
    Agatha: Kick the peasant to the house behind village
    Mason: Jump the king

I guess at least the first one can count as an exploit.

Also defending archers stay behind to shoot people at spawns on Drunkenbazaar all the time, at the last objective the can shoot spawning Masons from 2 meters, while Masons can’t do anything about it because of blockade.

On Hideout’s last objective people also stay back and shoot the Agatha spawn with ballista. Usually they’re archers or MAAs, so good luck trying to catch them.

• I don’t see any mention of this, but it appears that teleporting after block stagger has been fixed or mitigated. Am I the only one to notice this?

• @Reithur I’ll try, I crash perhaps 30% of the time when half the server crashes, and its perhaps 1 in 5 games that it does it - so given the map rotation its maybe once every 2 months for me. Usually when the slaves are freed (if I remember correctly).

• @Killer-Crabs Yes the invisible catapult, you walk into it and your character screams for a while but you can keep walking - back to the map and you are invisible. As lemon described in one post, some people can see you, some cant which is pretty interesting. Strangely this seems to be much more common in the last few months.

• @Xylvion In general almost all maps have a decent balance of wins and losses. I’m not too concerned about individual stages as long as overall the map balances out. The “balance” issue only becomes more apparent when you have a weaker team on one side. But I dont see that level of fine tuning is really needed.

Exceptions:

Shore, yes the last objective is very challenging for attackers, but when someone does get away in the boat (which is possible to achieve with sneakiness and good timing) its a lot of fun.

Coldfront is probably the most frustrating, if defenders lose the first objective (which they will unless strong team) they will lose the map 98% of the time. I think if the trebuchet and ballista respawn time after being destroyed was increased by say 30% that would help a lot and make destroying them more worthwhile. Also the longer you defend the castle, the shorter the time the king has to get away. Doubling the kings health would help a lot considering how close the attackers spawn near the king.

• @PFTMP I always kick the peasant behind the house (and shout Defend The Peasident) but nowadays someone always finds him, because most people know about it.

• @loin said:

filthy swine’s as Inspector Clouseau would say hehe. What often strikes me is the veteran walk they use as if they are
    good players to boot. I was about to post mine but can’t find that screenshot amongst my many offline atm grumbles.

this guy is rank 59. he should know better tbh.

• @gregcau said:

@Killer-Crabs Yes the invisible catapult, you walk into it and your character screams for a while but you can keep walking - back to the map and you are invisible. As lemon described in one post, some people can see you, some cant which is pretty interesting. Strangely this seems to be much more common in the last few months.

you’re invisible to anyone else who is experiencing the invisible cata bug i think. another once you turn invisible you can only attack or parry once then nothing else works

• @playerhayter While I think bouncing on heads is hilarious, people are now using it for exploits. When you are the king in Castle Assault I saw someone today use the stairs to jump onto someone’s head, then get into agatha’s spawn, therefore making the king unkillable.

• @Enigma said:

@playerhayter While I think bouncing on heads is hilarious, people are now using it for exploits. When you are the king in Castle Assault I saw someone today use the stairs to jump onto someone’s head, then get into agatha’s spawn, therefore making the king unkillable.

I’ve never seen that, maybe the new meta? I think people might vote the king out at that stage.

• @Enigma thanks for the tip; we’ll add that one to the list.

• sometimes I have bounced on people’s heads and died from crush damage or been left unable to attack, parry or kick. very strange bugs.