Possible EU testbed server?

• Hello,
    This is a mere question. Are there any plans to put up a single EU test server? The reason I’m asking is due to the relatively high latency (~ 120-150ms ping) that EU players get on NA servers. It would be great to test the combat in a realistic environment when all incoming and outgoing attacks are fast and snappy.

This is probably not very helpful, but I’ve found some of the combat mechanics to be a bit clunky, meaning that there is a lack of responsiveness when attacking and blocking. The current combat feeling reminds me strongly of that in Deadliest Warrior, which I did not find nearly as crisp and responsive as in vanilla Chiv. I’d be very interested in finding out if this is due solely to the high ping, or whether this is linked to the combat mechanics themselves

EDIT:
    There is one major factor that, in my experience, really set the Chiv combat apart from the combat in Deadliest. In Chivalry all attacks got straight to the point. No fancy animations or waving about with the weapon before the attack. This meant that the player and his opponent knew when to expect the attack to take place (with a bit of training). In Deadliest Warrior however, alot of weapons did not get “straight to the point” with their attacks. This occasionaly left me wondering when the actual attack would occur, as the weapon windup looked like the character was already attacking, when in reality he was only winding up his weapon for the real attack. Found it quite hard to phrase this properly, so I hope it makes at least a little bit of sense.

Heres a question to the NA folks that get good ping:
    Did you also observe a bit of “clunkyness” (for the lack of a better term), despite having good latency?

Thanks for reading.

• @SgtHannes we’ve talked about a server in EU, but I don’t think we made a final decision on it yet.

There’s an instruction set for putting up your own server in the Tester Guides section; you can try that out and see if you can get a couple of the EU admins to jump in.

If you notice any issues with the instructions, let me know and we’ll fix them up.

• Developer

The melee animation point is spot on and we already have our animator working on it.

We’ll look to get a EU server setup in 2 weeks or so I think, we’ll need to find more people to invite from Europe at that point as well

• Thanks for the replies. Good to hear.

I’d like to host a private server Reithur, but my internet is not up to par unfortunately.

• Developer

In regards to the clunkiness we definitely have a lot of things that we still need to get to that cause it to feel this way.
    Big thing with DW was the lack of polish on animations, camera movement through unpolished animations is very jarring, in the end we won’t have any of those for mirage but until the Polish phase they’ll be around to some degree.

A game in alpha is bound to be a bit rough as well but I’m sure you guys keep that in mind already.

• @Rasmus said:

In regards to the clunkiness we definitely have a lot of things that we still need to get to that cause it to feel this way.
    Big thing with DW was the lack of polish on animations, camera movement through unpolished animations is very jarring, in the end we won’t have any of those for mirage but until the Polish phase they’ll be around to some degree.

A game in alpha is bound to be a bit rough as well but I’m sure you guys keep that in mind already.

Yep, definately keeping in mind that its all in alpha. Its more of an overall observation resulting from several factors. I also realise that the issue of combat “feeling” can be quite subjective. Just thought its never too early to adress certain topics.

Cheers Rasmus.

• Developer

@SgtHannes it’s definitely not too early and feedback on it is great, just wanted to clarify a certain level of it is unavoidable at this stage.

Can’t wait to play on the eu server myself just to see how it feels!