Feint Literacy 101 (Console Edition)

• Feinting: The act of cancelling an attack during an windup for the purpose of tricking a foe into an early parry. This can be done with slash, overhead, stab, and alternates.

Counter strategy: with practice, one can avoid being feinted by applying different strategies…

Gambling (or g0mbling): is the act of attacking through a percieved/predicted feint by your opponent, this is the most common strategy applied, but commonly leads to hittrades.

Kicking: Interrupt a feint attempt by kicking away your opponent. This is also useful for saving yourself if you fell for a feint. This is also considered a gamble strategy (see above) so hittrading is a danger here as well, kick attempts can also phase through your opponent and fail.

Prediction: If you are used to how a certain opponent fights, then you can probably tell whether or not an opponent will feint–if they are being predictable and dont change up strategy on you. This is argueably a gamble strategy (see above).

Reading: This is the pinnacle of feint-counter mastery; listen for the grunt that your opponent makes before an attack before you start parrying, watch the arm movement, and dont hold LT until the attack release. This takes much practice and may lead to tunnel-vision.

Conclusion: There is no easy, clear-cut way. It takes a mix of skill and a little luck.

Stay tuned for Feint Usage 101

Class Dismissed.

Questions? Comments? I missed something?

• @Village-Elder most forms of gambling and swinging-in are BS imo. We need mercs mod

• @village-elder

Also, the MAA can do an active parry dodge to get away from a feint

• @village-elder

Also many high level players (myself included) that fall for feint have figured out how to simply run around slashes that are dragged after a feint.

• @AK You make good points about footwork and dodging and I considered those two ideas while creating the topic but this is teaching how to confront feints head on, not to avoid.

Still i should add something about that, no? I’ll admit it was a bit misleading of me lol.

• Need to discuss double parries, maybe. Also, here’s probably the best post about feints.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/ChivalryGame/comments/3sdxkg/feint_reading_question_for_master_feint_readers/cwwsblu

To expand on double parries, if you fall for a feint early, you can create distance and attempt to parry again. I usually do this by matrixing away to create as much space as possible and spamming parry.

• @Naleaus said:

Need to discuss double parries, maybe. Also, here’s probably the best post about feints.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/ChivalryGame/comments/3sdxkg/feint_reading_question_for_master_feint_readers/cwwsblu

To expand on double parries, if you fall for a feint early, you can create distance and attempt to parry again. I usually do this by matrixing away to create as much space as possible and spamming parry.

Yeah I saw that reddit topic before but there was nothing like it in the console subforum so I wanted to briefly list some tips here. To those reading, definately click the link above.

Btw forgot about double parries TY.

• @Village-Elder
    Just as effective to do the opposite. I stead of double parrying run into their swing and crouch to maximize the parry box and get as much time out of your parry as possible. DONT crouch for overheads though

• @AK That works best for flash feints. If you fall for a normal one, chances are the wind-up will be longer than your parry.

• @Naleaus said:

@AK That works best for flash feints. If you fall for a normal one, chances are the wind-up will be longer than your parry.

Shhhhhh. Don’t tell anyone. Half the community flash feints anyways. XD.

Anyways, ya. I don’t do it everytime though… it’s a balance of every getaway from feints

• @Village-Elder Shields: Immune to feints

• Incorrect. Feint to kick, or if they’re actually decent, feint to attack can get them before parry recovery is over. Also can use the feints to keep them blocking while positioning for a side hit.

• @gregcau said:

@Village-Elder Shields: Immune to feints

Good point but this is for if you are fighting without a shield, plus what Naleaus said about the danger of feint to kick, if you are using a shield.

• Informative post.
    Personally, l don’t feint much. That half swing time and stamina could be better used to actually do damage. When I do feint, it’s all the more effective because it’s so unexpected.
    Feints are most effective when you swing from a different angle than feinted strike, especially stab.
    Feint to kick is pretty good…

• @Gnarlydude

Very true. I am the same way (most of the time, not always XD)

But when someone runs at me with three Slash feint s in a row and they are a “Comp” player I just want to cry