Patch notes - 2016-03-31 [WIP]

• Developer

wanted to prepare this well ahead of time and give the opportunity for you guys to chime in some experimental features before the build is made.

Some changes listed might not make the build, but it’s looking good right now

Pax build

• Only one ability will be available per slot
    • Entropist will not be available and will return with major changes

General

• Increased step-up height
      • this allows the character to step up on objects automatically, should help with a lot of the collision issues in Ravine specifically

Damage

• Melee deals a flat damage amount to teammates (will scale it properly if we decide to keep it)
      • removed thwacking
      • Teammates do not get interrupted
    • Certain abilities deal a slight amount of self damage on hit along with a Stagger
      • Mine, Boulder toss, Big Blast
    • All melee damage has received a boost

Parries

• Timed parries (chiv style)
    • reduced parry box size, especially it’s width
    • Standard parries added for Vypress (dodge could potentially be made an ability option)
    • in an effort to integrate the magic more into the combat/initiative system projectiles now cause the initiator of the projectile to enter the Blocked state if the projectile is parried before traveling beyond melee engagement range
      • will not apply to all projectiles in the first pass
      • This is an experiment to see if we can get ranged attacks to follow the exchange based formula in melee range
    • Active parries
      • 0.5s window that reduces blocked damage taken by 40%
      • This only applies to the vigilist as she’s the only with a held block now
      • This could be worked in with timed parries as well if the window was shortened

Still a ton of testing to be done on different versions of parries, this is just one of many tests we have done/will do.

Movement

• Sprint button has returned!
      • the experiments we attempted to remove the need for a sprint have not worked out
    • Base movement speed reduced
    • Second wind changed to only be used as the chase mechanic
    • removed movement slow on comboing

Queueing & Comboing

• Disabled queueing in active parry states
    • support for pre queueing ripostes.
      - this effectively speeds up ripostes by a tiny amount as you don’t have to wait for the parry to occur before initiating the riposte
      • an attack queued during active parry states will activate on a sucessfull parry but otherwise cleared (if you want to activate a non-riposte attack after parry you’ll have to queue it in ParryRecovery)
    • disabled queueing in all windups for the first 75% of the animation time (Queueing was possible in all windups after 0.2s or so before)
    • Melee can now be comboed into fromrelease of almost all abilities -
      • Previously queued after 75% of recovery, with an average ability recovery of 0.6s this is quite the boost to melee
      • abilities can still only queue after a set time in recovery
        • comboing into melee from abilities was feeling very sluggish before
        • makes the 2 sets of attacks feel better when used together and should encourage switching between them more.
    • Disabled comboing into certain abilities
      • Boulder toss etc
      • comboing into certain moves reduces the clarity of the animation, by not allowing it we can make sure some abilities are instantly recognizable by it’s animation
        • we can improve the blends but not a priority for the Pax build

Queueing is such sensitive and everyone plays very differently, I imagine we’ll be continuously tweaking this for a long time. The feedback on it so far has been very useful!

Animations

• Reduced windups/activation times for a lot of abilities
      • quite a few have been brought down to the range that you expect from melee
    • overhauled all melee timings including Combo and Riposte Times
      • overall it’s quicker now
    • updates to melee animations

Abilities

• made Alchemancer main attack less spammy
    • Halostab reworked (need to find a better name for this one!)
      • quick jump before dashing forwads
      • on hit perform a backflip while being granted extremely high air control - allows you to move forward into a follow up attack or backwards well out of range of the target
    • Vypress Dodge and Alchemancer Forcepush Separated from parries and put in as alternatives for the F slot
    • Big blast
      • Improved projectile movement, better at longer ranges and more intuitive to aim
      • Direct hits now interrupt and deal more damage
      • Fixed big blast not being parryable, parrying it now absorbs the damage and negates the aoe effect.
    • grapplehook
      • fixed jitter issues and changed the movement that is applied to the target
        • quicker, reduced max distance and the movement is much more consistent with every use

Projectiles

• projectile deflects
      • Shuriken can be deflected, it’ll go towards the aim of the player who parried it (deals damage and interrupts the vypress who fired it but not other teammates)
      • boulder toss get’s redirected the same way but with less force

Major bug fixes

• Fixed ParrySuccess, ParryBroken and Blocked states not recieving camera limits
      • this was causing disorienting snaps as you weren’t expecting it to go off
    • fixed bug where if you got interrupted during disperse/leapslam you would still execute the slamdown and die from fall damage

• Man these changes sound insane.
    I think I’ll love Tinker even more now.

Great job guys, feels like this patch will probably make the game feel a lot more intuitive and fun. Will happily test it with Xyl when it’s ready.

I’m starting to wonder what the chivalry vets will think after PAX. Happy to be a part of it :D

• Great work!

Oh yes, timed parries, love you.

• Mod

Timed parry’s is getting me excited.

I am a little worried about the “no flinch when hit from behind” thing. I know it’s only experimental though so It’ll be interesting to see how it pans out. I just know a fair few players coming from chiv like to use footwork to get around players parrys and hit them behind, and it may cause an annoyance if the game starts punishing good foot work.

This is all sounding very good though, keep it up :D

• It looks really really promising!

I do agree with @Vesanus on this though, there is an idea that I’ve had for ages regarding flinch, i’ll just quickly scribble it down here and hope I explain it in a way people can understand. (This is mostly for how it works in chivalry atm, but I still think it may be one of the better solutions.)

Right now there’s “3 states” windup, release, and recovery. What if you turned int into 4 states instead. Windup, early release, late release, and recovery. Where you can flinch windup and early release, but you can’t flinch late release. This would prevent faster weapons to flinch slower weapons if they start the attack later than the person using the slower weapon. It would also punish people who try to gamble, as there wouldn’t be an early release hit trade; not only would it stop that, it would also make feints easier to punish, if you see someone feint and then start an attack, that person wouldn’t be able to hit trade you as you punish them.

Alternatively there could be 5 stages, turning release into 3, with the earliest stage not dealing damage which would help against backswings and early handle hits, while the last stage can’t be flinched but the middle one can.

• Xyl’s idea there is really darn good.

Timed parries have me happy in the pants.

Will play the crap out of pax build when released.

• Awesome update, loving it. Keep up the fantastic work guys!

• Everything sounds great except “no flinch when targets hit behind you”.
    Without playing it I can already see an easy exploit: Taurant wins most hit trades, might as well turn your back and take their strike while winding up your own to deliver an even harder strike back and interrupt your opponent mid-combo. You know how players in Chivalry do reverse overheads? By the time the release window ends you’re facing your opponent again by turning while striking. This would just be delayed reverses with guaranteed hit trades. Without trying to sound elitist here, if you gave the opponent your back, you probably made a huge mistake in the fight and should be punished.

• Developer

Fore sure, primarily interested in seeing if this makes any difference for lower skill levels, it’s purely out of interest in seeing the results of it.
    For the pax build interrupt rules won’t be perfect and for a brand new player this would ease some frustration.

Basically a maybe for the pax build but not beyond that, in the end interrupts should be less confusing for new players and these situations won’t be as frustrating but we’re not quite there yet.

Will be trying interrupts during certain parts of release at some point as well.

• Halostab reworked (need to find a better name for this one!)
      • quick jump before dashing forwads
      • on hit perform a backflip while being granted extremely high air control - allows you to move forward into a follow up attack or backwards well out of range of the target

It does sound quite similar to a Fleche, or “Fleche attack” in Epee.
    alt text

alt text

• This update looks extremely promising. Could maybe rename the Halostab to Dawn Dance or something like that. Just an idea.

• Developer

Build coming your way!

Build: 48734

Changes to Vesros’ above:

• Alchemancer parry removed
    • Spawn walls are now 1 way collision

PAX Maps Added:

• To-gov_Garden_P
    • To-gov_Palace_p
    • To-Ravine_Top_p

Known bugs:

• Capture points do not function in To-Ravine, To-Gov
    • Black Loading screens
    • Spawn walls block progress in To-gov_palace_p

We expect to release a new build with fixed and more PAX stuff tomorrow!

• Developer

updated the main post with some new stuff and removed a few things that didn’t make the cut

• Developer

BUILD 49008

Updates

• VO added for all classes but Tinker
    • PAX specific map customization
    • Updated pushable
    • Configured spawn walls for all PAX maps
    • Deactivated abilities are now visible and grayed out

BUG FIXES

• Frequent crash due to running out of audio memory
    • Capture points not functioning
    • Spawn walls blocking progression in PAX maps
    • Unable to jump after placing a tinker mine
    • Alchemancer big blast wind up particle not visible for caster
    • HUD and GUI not scaling
    • Many map LOD fixes in Gov and Ravine
    • Missing geo in PAX maps when viewed from certain perspectives

Known Bugs

• Black loading screen
    • Default textures on one side of spawn protection walls
    • Missing descriptions in some grayed abilities

• Haven’t played in a couple of days, so may have changed, but I was able to reverse overhead with Vigilist and Taurant - having no flinch when hit from behind is a bit of a concern for that.

• @Vesros said in Patch notes - 2016-03-31 [WIP]:

Queueing is such sensitive and everyone plays very differently, I imagine we’ll be continuously tweaking this for a long time. The feedback on it so far has been very useful!

Regarding queueing, I realize it is work in progress. The big issue I noticed immediately (and only realized what was happen much much later after being on forums and thinking about the design)

• abilities queue

I’m not against abilities queueing, but for me it was counter intuitive. The real issue was that unlike melee attacks abilities have a significant cooldown so when they fire is quite important. If you queue one up because you are already swinging your weapon there is no indicator that the ability was queued, nor any indication that you successfully pressed the button.

So at the start i was comboing and mashing the ability key wondering when it was ever going to fire.

If you want to keep the current design of queuing abilities

• I would suggest a different graphic for the button that lets you know pressing it is no longer necessary because it is “in the queue”.
    • Something that gives you the sense of ticking and it is about to fire
    • Of course if you override it or for any reason it comes out of the queue the graphic should return to normal.
    • Side note I would have the button flash or look like it was pressed down when you click Q/E/F to provide visual feedback that you actually did press the key