Increased Player count 32->32+ multiplayer

• Mainly for multiplayer experience. Many of the ol’ AoC veterans always wanted to see increased player count on servers to see what it would be like fighting 24 vs 24 or better yet 32 vs 32. Although there were people who feared imbalanced gameplay. But now since you AoC devs are making an indie by scratch i might as well make the suggestion of increase player count support in your game.
    Since this wont be the source engine (I am really hoping the Unreal Engine can handle more than 32 players) we’ll hopefully see some support for large scale battles. Almost like M&B, but a much better combat system.
    I haven’t found any threads pertaining to this subject and haven’t seen a FAQ about this also.

• Similar idea here.

Was no’ed upon because of server limits, as well as keeping the old AoC feel.

• So is it mainly server side problems and gameplay problems?
    Well at least do NOT make the maximum player count go under 32* because many people including myself wouldn’t want to play on horribly small maps with very few players, making it feel like a match of call of duty but with sword and melee play.

Also, are you devs going to make this game moddable? Because as you’ve had experienced that modding keeps a game alive so much longer than usual it would be recommended for the accessibility for modding, and maybe a hairbrained modder may be able to get 32+ player support with a good enough server to work.

• While modding may prolong the life of a game it is often found in games that are significantly lacking in one area or another. Age of chivalry is still being played today in its “Vanilla form”(unmodded) with servers that are modded with special effects having a shorter life span that regular ff on servers.

While I am among some of the vet players looking forward to 32+ servers I do not believe that the current 24 limit would be ignored by the fan base if there are maps tailored to it. I also will point out that 5v5 matches versus skilled opponents on the regular sized maps are not only challenging but also as equally enjoyable as the 12v12 matches.

Bigger servers do not always mean better game play or even more fun for the player base. Just have a look at the 250 player M&B servers they are an atrocity.

• It’s just a suggestion, since i’ve seen many games fail at making a good medieval/melee experience too many times, im just hoping that this game will not do the same.

It matters on gameplay (Game Mechanics may differ to AoC?) for the amount of players in a server. Having a certain amount of players in a server doesnt mean its going to be automatically a good or bad experience. It would be nice to see “Support” for 32+ players, but not having it in the vanilla release would be nice. Since having access to certain things is what all humans stride for even if they’re not going to ever use it.

• After 100+ Age of Chivalry scrims I’d say that we’ve found the optimal number of combatants seems to be around 8v8 for the majority of the maps. For the maximum part it also seems that 12v12 on most maps is too many. 10v10 has been a more optimal maximum number for latency and map sizes.

As a rule of thumb our team generally reschedules matches that don’t meet a minimum of 6v6.

• I believe that was the truth with AoC, however do not go into Chivalry believing its going to be the same. I’m already fairly sure its going to be more like 12 v 12 up to 15 v 15 would work really well.

Of course, this is a thing that the ‘clan council’ we were talking about earlier are going to have to discuss closer to release.

• Yea I was more just giving it for background info.

• Vox don’t spread false facts please. Tibberius clearly stated that the game will support a maximum of 32vs32 (so 64 players) supported on servers side. Maybe they will not make a map that takes advantage of it in the release but i am sure the community will test this option by making some epic maps. Personally i also prefer little game (8v8 or so) against skilled opponents but all the tastes are in the nature, i respect that and maybe to relax sometimes, a good 32v32 server could be fun. It’s not like it will change the game, it is just an added option for the one who like it, so why not? :)

• @Holy_Teal:

Vox don’t spread false facts please. Tibberius clearly stated that the game will support a maximum of 32vs32 (so 64 players) supported on servers side. Maybe they will not make a map that takes advantage of it in the release but i am sure the community will test this option by making some epic maps. Personally i also prefer little game (8v8 or so) against skilled opponents but all the tastes are in the nature, i respect that and maybe to relax sometimes, a good 32v32 server could be fun. It’s not like it will change the game, it is just an added option for the one who like it, so why not? :)

Agreed.

• @Sir:

the game will support a maximum of 32vs32 (so 64 players)

lkjgfdxdrythjdrzfxgfhjkvo
    sorry just cleaning giz of my keyboard

• I’m not spreading false facts, it was said that the max would maybe be 32v32 in that thread, but no more because of how AoC was made. Leading a team in the 5v5 dev tourny was probably some of the best matches i played, since i got to lead them :D but the 10 v 10 and 12 v 12 games agents MM, taki, and mordred were amazing. Although i wouldn’t count on seeing an more than 20 v 20 for a clan war, but for pubbing it would be really cool doing a 32 v 32, although the maps would have to be big enough because the maps for AoC were just big enough for the max of 24.

• @Vox:

I’m not spreading false facts, it was said that the max would maybe be 32v32 in that thread, but no more because of how AoC was made. Leading a team in the 5v5 dev tourny was probably some of the best matches i played, since i got to lead them :D but the 10 v 10 and 12 v 12 games agents MM, taki, and mordred were amazing. Although i wouldn’t count on seeing an more than 20 v 20 for a clan war, but for pubbing it would be really cool doing a 32 v 32, although the maps would have to be big enough because the maps for AoC were just big enough for the max of 24.

Unless I missed something, I don’t think the decision to limit the servers to 32v32 was made due to how AoC was made. To quote my post from the other thread:

@b3h47pte:

Hate to kill the discussion you guys were having but Unreal Engine 3’s officially supports up to 64 players. We plan on keeping the max player limit between 32-64.

Large scale battles are not out the picture however. IF we ever get access to Unreal’s source code we could revamp the networking code a bit to allow us to be able to support more players. But for now, I wouldn’t count on seeing 100v100 battles. Sorry :(

However, I believe that server hosts are able to set their own max player limit up to 64 - I would have to look into that though and whether or not we’re able to limit it to under that if we ever decided to do so.

• yeh but if making supa size siege maps means knocking back the release date then your right not to bother.

@b3h47pte:

IF we ever get access to Unreal’s source code we could revamp the networking code a bit to allow us to be able to support more players

get cacking :mrgreen: . hurr hurr see what I did there???..…