Thread on Archery

• So far in this game I’ve found archery to be a bit lackluster in comparison to the melee combat. I used to love archery in AoC, but in this game it seems to simply lack some meat.

The poll is about a feature that AoC had that I really liked that this doesn’t have. I honestly don’t understand the decision to add crosshairs at all, especially when the devs put a lot of effort into keeping the game as low HUD as possible, and adding as much immersion as possible.

For those who don’t know, in Age of Chivalry the source mod, the longbow and crossbow didn’t have crosshairs, instead the arrow-tip or bolt-tip was what you used to estimate the initial trajectory of the arrow/bolt. I found that system to be immersive and more skill based since your view was blocked by the bow/crossbow. Same goes for thrown weapons, for thrown weapons I’d prefer just a dot in the middle of the screen over the immersion breaking crosshairs.

I used to use the longbow all the time in AoC, but in C:MW I just get tired of it, even a little bored sometimes. Maybe the arrow speed and ballistics don’t feel very good, or maybe the damage is a little off, something about it simply makes me wish I was a different class.

I’d like to hear more from people that play archer primarily but I feel like there is some specific feedback that should be given on this class, so here’s a thread to give archer specific feedback and suggestions.

• Definitely miss aiming from the arrow. I wouldn’t mind crosshairs if you could still do this, but right now I feel forced to use them because there’s no reliable frame of reference unless I want to stick a dot on my screen.

• I kinda miss aoc’s aiming with the arrow tip, but this one is easily enough (not too far up from tip)

as for the xbow, without the crosshair currently, there isn’t an aiming mechanism you can really rely on, if someone would help on that front as to where it is, would be helpful, but I did prefer AoC’s aiming anyhow, Aim just needs to be more like AoC in general, brings back some skill :)

• gimme a dot or CS 1.6 style crosshairs. I think they can balance archer by giving you faster draw strength with shortbow and letting you change weapons out of any animation. Currently if you are running with your arrow drawn you need to: un-knock your arrow, let go of your aim, stop sprinting, then take out your melee. In that order. Player control is just way too clunky with switching weapons. Warbow also needs a better scaling on headshots so you can 1-shot knights, it currently isn’t THAT much different from the longbow. Another problem I found is hit stun depends on your hit or their animation or something, so sometimes you can start swinging at the same time as the enemy does with a claymore and hit him first with your shortsword, but he will swing right through it and kill you still. This seems to happen only with the archer’s light weapons.

• Been giving archery a try, never played AoC so I can’t make too many comparisons.

Arrows move too slowly.
    It’s absurd that a guy that’s about 50 feet away has time to raise his shield after the arrow is already in the air. That means I shoot, he sees the release/arrow, .18-.25 seconds of reflexes, shield raising animation, block. There’s some imbalance with the slowness of arrows for the archer.

The shortbow is essentially only useful for stealing kills, the draw speed doesn’t seem to be much faster than the longbow and the damage feels abysmal to top it off. I’d be ok with the damage if I could draw it slightly quicker.

Also I’m noticing a bug where if you can hit while you’re drawing the animation starts again and you can’t Q(cancel) out of it unless you push LMB+Q. Switching weapons is still viable but that takes time and I’d rather be able to sprint away when I am getting flanked.

Haven’t gotten to the warbow yet, I just think that with there is going to be some insanely slow draw to it that will leave me feeling like I’m wasting my clicks.

• warbow and longbow there isn’t much of a difference. What they should do is make it so that the long and war bows do more damage long range and the shortbow does more damage close range. That way they would at least have their roles.

• They need to revamp this class really really badly. It’s pretty obvious that archers were an afterthought to the base melee fps game. Bolts/Arrows move just insanely slow, have very noticeable trails, unrealistic damage and damage traits (5 arrows in leg with short bow = LOL STILL TRUCKIN FULL SPEED), and to top it off you really can’t run away from heavy classes once you are charged from a decently short distance……as a class wearing trivial amounts of armor. Another comment I will agree on is the bows themselves. I just got done trying the short bow and I cannot believe they even let this go live. It takes 3-5 shots mid chest to take someone out with the short bow.

Overall, this release has really unimpressed me. I’m hoping the patch fixes things but it shouldn’t of been released in this condition :|

• Watch out knaves, here comes the archer

Just shot another archer 3 times with the shortbow and bodkin points, still alive.

Warbow is definitely more powerful but I’ll need a bit to test it out, doubt it’s going to be any more viable than the others.

• @rinaun:

They need to revamp this class really really badly. It’s pretty obvious that archers were an afterthought to the base melee fps game. Bolts/Arrows move just insanely slow, have very noticeable trails, unrealistic damage and damage traits (5 arrows in leg with short bow = LOL STILL TRUCKIN FULL SPEED), and to top it off you really can’t run away from heavy classes once you are charged from a decently short distance……as a class wearing trivial amounts of armor. Another comment I will agree on is the bows themselves. I just got done trying the short bow and I cannot believe they even let this go live. It takes 3-5 shots mid chest to take someone out with the short bow.

Overall, this release has really unimpressed me. I’m hoping the patch fixes things but it shouldn’t of been released in this condition :|

You can beat any class with just your dagger. Sure its a disadvantage, but as long as I get my hunting knife out in time, I am fine.

• Just wanted to pop in to let all the shortbow haters know that I top the scoreboard when I use the shorty. Stop being afraid to melee and realize you’ve essentially got 30 beefed up throwing knives to soften people up with before you stab their eyes out/cudgel their brains out. The warbow is only better because it’s overpowered.

• but there is little difference between the shortbow and the other bows in anything other than damage. The only noticeable thing is you run faster with your arrow drawn which isn’t very helpful. The boost in time it takes to unleash an arrow is so small that you’ll almost never end up shooting one where you couldn’t with any other bow. There is absolutely no reason to use it because you can kite people just as well with a longbow or a warbow as with a shortbow. Also, if you are using a melee weapon as an archer you’re doing it wrong.

• @NeoRussia:

but there is little difference between the shortbow and the other bows in anything other than damage. The only noticeable thing is you run faster with your arrow drawn which isn’t very helpful. The boost in time it takes to unleash an arrow is so small that you’ll almost never end up shooting one where you couldn’t with any other bow. There is absolutely no reason to use it because you can kite people just as well with a longbow or a warbow as with a shortbow. Also, if you are using a melee weapon as an archer you’re doing it wrong.

Tell that to everyone I drop two arrows into and then stab to death. Here is a brief guide: :archb: :stab:

• @SlyGoat:

Tell that to everyone I drop two arrows into and then stab to death. Here is a brief guide: :archb: :stab:

Or you could drop 2 arrows in them. And then they die. or 1 if headshot. They can’t kill you anyway, because they’d have to go through your team to.

• I don’t know, I saw some good suggestions like the damage modifiers for range…short bow more damage close, warbow more damage from afar…ect. Right now the archer just pales in comparison. Unless you can land headshots and never miss, then the archer isn’t very reliable.

Also, anyone else notice that when a team starts to lose, most of the team goes archer? So they can just stand back and pluck arrows out, they always end up losing because of that.

• It always makes me smile playing the archer class when a member of the opposite team will run past about five of my own teammates to try and get an easy kill, even if he’s inevitably cut down before or after. You can tell even when he’s half the map away that you are his target and he just will not stop, come hell or high water.

I guess it’s the same sort of thing with snipers in other, more modern-based games; there’s something inherent about it.

• I really missed the the AOC style of aiming the first two days I played Chivalry. It felt off compared to the polished melee system, especially the javelin thrower. However, I’m beginning to adapt to the new crosshair system. I played exclusively as the Archer class yesterday and have begun to master the bow and crossbows. There’s a part of me that misses the immersion of AOC, but I can live with the crosshairs.

• @NeoRussia:

@SlyGoat:

Or you could drop 2 arrows in them. And then they die. or 1 if headshot. They can’t kill you anyway, because they’d have to go through your team to.

Which is exactly what archers shouldn’t be, and why they have to be underpowered by design for the game’s melee to not suck.