What's the future for friendly fire

• What kind of damage will magic be doing to friendly units? I think it needs to do significant damage to force players to not just spam abilities into large group of players.

Also it will help players spamming those little fireballs.

I’d hate to see this game devolve into a cluster fawk of eye cancerous spam since you aren’t punished for it.

• I completely agree with this. From the video that you guys released I noticed a lot of particle effects going everywhere and I’m afraid that spam wouldn’t disappear on public servers in the future when you have 10-15 people on each team just dishing out abilities and fireballs left and right.

And in 6v6 competetive it would defo increase the skillcap as you’d have to be wary of when you use abilities. Otherwise the alchemancer can just throw down a fireball at his team mate that’s surronded by enemies, which is cheesy and, frankly, quite dumb.

• Developer

We tried this, it is kind of a nightmare. Just way too many things hitting you that completely overwhelms your ability to react to anything. Was a very negative experience overall.

• Not to mention team damage is one of the biggest problems with CMW in terms of trolling.

If team damage was removed from melee weapons as well I wouldnt miss it at all, with just 6v6 its not like team damage would add much value. It’s absence would reduce the votekicks by 90%.

But I could be in the minority.

• @Tibberius said in What's the future for friendly fire:

We tried this, it is kind of a nightmare. Just way too many things hitting you that completely overwhelms your ability to react to anything. Was a very negative experience overall.

Wait. So you are ok with teammates not being scared to just spam abilities in a team fight? I can’t imagine people who are serious about competitve balance will like this.

If you have a proper ranking/match making system this will help noobs learn amongst each other then play properly as they get better. It’s like rewarding teammates to just chuck tons of firepots in into teammates who are fighting.

• @ChuckingIt Perhaps there are official “clan” servers, one in each region that hosts clan matches which is 100% friendly fire for both melee and ranged. Maybe you get special points for winning on those servers.

Its a big difference if you have 6 people on teamspeak really trying hard to make the team win and will carefully land their AOE skills.

But for 99% of the rest of the games I would just make 0% team damage for melee/ranged. I think the skills noobs learn (or never learn since only a tiny tiny percentage get to rank 50) are hitting and defending their opponents, if they join a clan for a real competitive match they will soon get kicked out if they cant land their fireball in the right spot.

I do think it would be cool if there was a designation of showing how many “competitive” wins you have racked up.

No idea how all that would work, but bottom line as long as the melee/ranged % team damage is adjustable at the server level shouldnt be an issue right?

I’m just thinking aloud, really not idea what competitive players want.

• @gregcau said in What's the future for friendly fire:

@ChuckingIt Perhaps there are official “clan” servers, one in each region that hosts clan matches which is 100% friendly fire for both melee and ranged. Maybe you get special points for winning on those servers.

Its a big difference if you have 6 people on teamspeak really trying hard to make the team win and will carefully land their AOE skills.

But for 99% of the rest of the games I would just make 0% team damage for melee/ranged. I think the skills noobs learn (or never learn since only a tiny tiny percentage get to rank 50) are hitting and defending their opponents, if they join a clan for a real competitive match they will soon get kicked out if they cant land their fireball in the right spot.

I do think it would be cool if there was a designation of showing how many “competitive” wins you have racked up.

No idea how all that would work, but bottom line as long as the melee/ranged % team damage is adjustable at the server level shouldnt be an issue right?

I thought this game was going to have competitve match making? If this game is really being advertised as a 6v6 competitve Multiplayer game then I think we need to keep the “spam abilities to win” out of this or else it’ll just be another silly game people buy on sale and forget about.

Players will learn to play properly and learn how not to be a noob if the game is worth getting better for. If there are actually ranks that show what tier you are in and skins you can collect and proper match making to keep you playing vs evenly skilled players then the players will practice to get better.

If you want to keep this a casual play for a short while then quit, then by all means dumb the game down. But true competitive games don’t need to hold your hand to keep players even if it’s hard as shit.

Players stay if the game gives you a reason to work hard. IE CS:GO and Mobas.

• @ChuckingIt fair enough, I hear what you are saying, I dont really play much other than CMW so I only really know pub play.

I would be fine with ranged and melee 100% damage if there was a major incentive to get through the match without hitting anyone. CMW rank has always been meaningless, I keep my rank down if it gets too high. The respawn timer is a small punishment.

Now if you could make it really bad to hit your own team, perhaps

• Significant penalty points and respawn timer addition if you TK
    • 3 strikes against the same player and you are in the penalty box for the rest of the objective.
    • Every time you are votekicked the count stays with you (like rank)
    • Major points if you complete a full round with 0% TK
    • etc I’m sure more creative options

I do agree if everyone is being very careful it will change the face of combat, boulders and fireballs just being fired randomly in the direction of some enemy will change.

I think the boulder is one of the nastiest ones for hitting your own team, if they removed the spikes and increased the mass it wouldnt hit your own team as much.

See I’m easy to convince.

• Just a thought on friendly projectiles: Is it possible to make it like that one build where all melee attacks deflected off of teammates? Make it do no team damage but for example: if a Taurant tosses a boulder and it collides with a teammates mesh, the boulder will deflect from its intended trajectory. This would mean players need proper clearance to throw their ranged abilities and not be able to use friendly bodies to hide them.

Also I believe a lot of your fears of projectile spam will be lessened once you see a proper Vigilist or pair of Vigilist coordinating their Iron Dome abilities.

• @Gauntlet well if you look at the video, the iron dome goes down with like 4-5 regular fireballs from the alchemancer, then it has like a 40 second cooldown to get back up again.

The other part is quite a good idea though.

Also considering big blast and mines have self damage, they could also deal damage to team mates, basically AoE abilities could deal damage, but things like say the phoenix or the grappling hook should just deflect onto the team mate as mentioned by gauntlet.

• @Gauntlet said in What's the future for friendly fire:

Just a thought on friendly projectiles: Is it possible to make it like that one build where all melee attacks deflected off of teammates? Make it do no team damage but for example: if a Taurant tosses a boulder and it collides with a teammates mesh, the boulder will deflect from its intended trajectory. This would mean players need proper clearance to throw their ranged abilities and not be able to use friendly bodies to hide them.

Also I believe a lot of your fears of projectile spam will be lessened once you see a proper Vigilist or pair of Vigilist coordinating their Iron Dome abilities.

I’m more concerned about abilities like that two handed mace guy ability where he flies up in the air and comes crashing down. That should do full damage to teammates other wise it’s cancerous charge attack as all over again in teamfights.

• @Gauntlet said in What's the future for friendly fire:

Just a thought on friendly projectiles: Is it possible to make it like that one build where all melee attacks deflected off of teammates? Make it do no team damage but for example: if a Taurant tosses a boulder and it collides with a teammates mesh, the boulder will deflect from its intended trajectory. This would mean players need proper clearance to throw their ranged abilities and not be able to use friendly bodies to hide them.

Boulder would certainly benefit from this, its a little too easy to throw it through your team-mate into the opponent he is engaging.