Hey, can we all talk about FFA?

• Hey everyone. I played Chivalry on PC back a long time ago when it first came out for a couple years. Right off the bat one of the best games I have ever played. I’m very competitive and enjoy anything involving hand to hand or melee combat, warfare, battle, etc. This game I feel has come the closest out of all games to representing a melee battle field and it’s viseral/organic and kinetic nature in many ways. So much so that FFA for example, back in the early days on PC had become it’s own organism, a particular environment and feeling I could be a part of and experience truly like no other game can represent. Unfortunately, it has become an extremely watered down substitute to what it once was on most all servers I join.

I’m referring to what appears to be some kind of sense of “etiquette” that has been hard plastered to the FFA walls. On “most” servers I join you are not allowed to partake in an actual free for all, but rather you have to pair off and fight individually. If you become the 3rd man in a 2 man party you have broken some unspoken rule and you will be kicked and/or searched out and destroyed, lol! And so now I see as a result I feel of this nonsense is usually about a 3rd or a 4th of the server becoming “bros” if you will, and just standing around together doing nothing! WTH? What happened PC Chivalry? Was it all the people who couldn’t handle the naturally extreme nature of FFA crying and complaining? Did the criers win? I mean, aren’t there dueling servers for this kind of nonsense? Did the duelers take over FFA?

FFA used to be about CHAOS. And wonderfully and beautifully so. In fact, if you play Chivalry on the PS4 and I’m sure even probably the Xbox One (not 100% on the latter) you will still be able to experience FFA in the way I feel it was meant to be experienced. In fact when I came back to Chivalry late last year I decided to buy the PS4 version and give it a shot instead of going back to PC first. In my opinion, there is absolutely nothing more gratifying than being able to consistently come out on top amidst this particular chaos that Chivalry FFA creates. Just participating is enough to induce a state of mind you can’t get anywhere else. My heart RACES during a purely chaotic FFA match in Chivalry! The closest I feel I could come to experience the real thing in a video game. But not like this, not on PC, not what it has become, not with these “restraints”.

So can we talk about this? I’m not looking for a solution to a problem. I want to have a discussion with all the people out there who love Chivalry. I posted an identical topic on the Steam forum but wanted to ask here as well.

• FFA is FFA. Some people in the community who know each other and have known each other for years kinda hang out there and mess around, but you can still have your furball. Sometimes when it’s low man servers, people duel to fill it up. I personally stand around sometimes because I just like to watch people fight, but if you attack me I’ll kill you. FFA is generally still how it always has been, you just got unlucky I guess.

• Are you sure you are joining a Vanilla FFA and not duelyard? FFAing in a Duelyard sever will get your ass ganked or vote kicked out…

If you are talking about regular FFA, then I understand what you are saying:

The reason why there is less chaos is because most players despise getting backstabbed, so that’s why people tend to duel in a FFA lobby. If the match is filled up, duels are virtually impossible without someone interrupting a 1v1. So start joining large matches :P

• @Odeken said in Hey, can we all talk about FFA?:

FFA is FFA. Some people in the community who know each other and have known each other for years kinda hang out there and mess around, but you can still have your furball. Sometimes when it’s low man servers, people duel to fill it up. I personally stand around sometimes because I just like to watch people fight, but if you attack me I’ll kill you. FFA is generally still how it always has been, you just got unlucky I guess.

Same pretty much. I only attack people who make the mistake of attacking me first. ffa is just a piss take game mode now, we all know each other. I like it but new players understandably don’t. Maybe they should create under level 40 servers.

• @RadiantGonder You should see the Xbox community. All it is duels, like seriously if you wanna duel…GO TO THE GAME MODE NAMED DUEL.

• @Zemen
    Duels are more fun when you’re in the heat of battle surrounded by low level players in default red and blue making the fight more cinematic

• @General-Firefly said in Hey, can we all talk about FFA?:

@Zemen
    Duels are more fun when you’re in the heat of battle surrounded by low level players in default red and blue making the fight more cinematic

Definitely.

• @General-Firefly Keep in mind I’m not saying you can’t duel in FFA. What i’m saying is that if you get pissed because I kill because you and your opponent are bowing and doing whatever other crap. I’m just recommending go to Duel.