Gender locked?

• Title. Will this game gender lock certain classes, or will we be given the option. According to the game play footage, for instance, if you want to dual wield, you will have to be a female. Any news on this yet?

• The Vypress, Vig, and Tinker are female and the Taurant, Alch, and Ent are male. I think it’s safe to assume that you won’t be able to change genders.

Maybe in a few years when they release alt character skins.

• Yes the genders are locked to the class, so the vypress is only a female, the Taurant only male. This is for a number of reasons, some concerning VO, some concerning art. However, we will allow a wide range of customization in other areas such as skin color, clothing color and more.

• Any plans on having a dual wielding male character? Personal aesthetic choice obviously. Having both dual wielding characters female is a point of particular annoyance.

• @scy22
    It shouldn’t matter what the character’s gender is. You don’t see female chivalry players bitching that all the classes are men. The devs made the new characters how they thought would be most appropriate.

• @General-Firefly

But… but… but… my Taurant identifies as a heteroflexible agendered non-normative otherkin… Please stop triggering me with things like “art budget” and “release timelines”…

• @The-Science
    You’re gonna give my brain a virus if I try and compute that. laugh

• @General-Firefly said in Gender locked?:

@scy22
    It shouldn’t matter what the character’s gender is. You don’t see female chivalry players bitching that all the classes are men. The devs made the new characters how they thought would be most appropriate.

Perhaps they should be.

• @The-Science… said in Gender locked?:

@General-Firefly

But… but… but… my Taurant identifies as a heteroflexible agendered non-normative otherkin… Please stop triggering me with things like “art budget” and “release timelines”…

Believe it or not, being able to identify with a character in a video game is important to a lot of people. I can appreciate how it might not be for you, and you are completely entitled to not care either way. Gender locking is a silly concept nowadays, especially in games that boast customization. It seems to me the most important step in customizing a character should start with gender.

• And an important part of making different genders for different classes is this thing called a “budget.”

Considering all of the different classes appear to have completely different animations from the others, it’d be a huge deal to make all of the classes able to be both sexes.

• @General-Firefly said in Gender locked?:

@scy22
    You don’t see female chivalry players bitching that all the classes are men.

Yes you do.

• @scy22 said in Gender locked?:

Believe it or not, being able to identify with a character in a video game is important to a lot of people.

I dont disagree with that as a general principle, but for a game like Chiv/Mirage, its much more difficult and costly. Why? Because in an MMO, it doesnt matter if animations miss by a mile, and combat isn’t largely dependent on animations. With Chiv/Mirage, people are VERY sensitive to janky and imprecise animations. To have a second character model and re-do all the animations and test them would require considerable work effort.

I would far prefer that the devs make crisp, clean animations for a single character model per class, rather than try to please everyone regarding gendered character models. I think the 3/3 split of male/female is fine. I think a fun, engaging, dynamic combat system is what Chiv/Mirage are going for (I know thats what I want), if you are looking for character identification, you might be looking at the wrong game.

Maybe they’ll do a Chiv/Mirage RPG in the future, but this ain’t it.

• @General-Firefly Actually they do bitch about all male characters as well as some players who feel it is a bit homo for Chiv but the forums are mostly dead so that is why there is not a ton of posts about it. But yeah I agree with original post that gender should be optional and not locked into classes since this option has been available in many games for decades. But nothing like forcing PC bullshit down your throat right?

• @ToLazy4Name said in Gender locked?:

And an important part of making different genders for different classes is this thing called a “budget.”

Considering all of the different classes appear to have completely different animations from the others, it’d be a huge deal to make all of the classes able to be both sexes.

Exactly, it’s not worth the effort.

also don’t forget about voice acting.

• @Retsnom-The-Great said in Gender locked?:

@General-Firefly Actually they do bitch about all male characters as well as some players who feel it is a bit homo for Chiv but the forums are mostly dead so that is why there is not a ton of posts about it. But yeah I agree with original post that gender should be optional and not locked into classes since this option has been available in many games for decades. But nothing like forcing PC bullshit down your throat right?

Retsnom, bud, i’m one of the most anti-PC people I know of, but i’ve got to say that you’re goin’ a bit off the deep end.

Making you play as a male in Chivalry wasn’t “sexist bullshit” in the same way that now making you play as a female character isn’t “PC bullshit.”

It’s called artistic freedom. The only possible way i’d dislike being forced to play as a female character is if it were obvious that TBS were being forced into doing so by a third party, I.E. a bunch of whiny SJWs saying “y rnt there any gurls :^(((”

Considering nothing like that has happened to my knowledge, no one should have any real grievances with this. Sure, it’s fully understandable to not WANT to play as a female, but you should be saying “this is my personal opinion” not “TBS is forcing PC bullshit down our throats.”

• @ToLazy4Name do you have a choice in gender per class? …and the answer is no. Thus one is forced to do so if they want to play the class. Of course it was sexist bullshit with Chiv as female players were forced into misogyny not having an option at all. Now all genders are forced to play a gender they may not feel comfortable with. See how all this PC bullshit has caused? You are going to have every justice warrior and everyone in F/C all triggered for gender equality bathrooms in Mirage. I understand what they did and why. But this is the difference between a real game company and an indy game with limited time and budgets along with the persuasive PC agenda creeping it’s ugly transexual head into gaming.

But at the end of the day, I really don’t care as the game is not appealing to me in any way, this just adds to the disinterest.

• @Retsnom-The-Great
    Torn Banner can do whatever they want; it’s their game.
    Boohoo, Im not going to play portal or tomb raider cause I don’t wanna be a girl. C’mon guys. Who cares? It’s 2016, lets be real here. laugh

• @General-Firefly Please… it isnt about that. The games you mentioned and I will even add Alien Isolation, you are playing single player storyline based games where that is what and who the game is about. In a multiplayer game where they actually sell DLC content and customization to allow individualism and identity, Gender is equally important to that customization.

• @Retsnom-The-Great
    I don’t think 10 people complaining will justify a gender selection update. Even if there’s a 1000 people pissed off, they’re doing a good job keeping their mouths shut. TB’s not obligated to do anything if nobody’s saying shit.
    If all the classes in chivalry were girls, I’d like to think we would still play. Be the Taurant if it’s that important to be a dude. Or don’t buy mirage. laugh

• On that note. Im not against videogame gender selection. I just don’t think it matters as much as you think it does.