Private TO matches?

• It seems like most clan wars take place in FFAs or LTS. Which is plenty fun, but there’s not as much room for varied stratagies. Half the fun of warfare is the strategy behind it. Is anyone else actually interested in some private TO matches? Not necessarily limited to clans (obviously) but I’d like to get out of the pub TO matches every once in a while.

• Tomorrow night SDS is having a Team Objective Practice. You are more then welcome.

• I’m in est. time zone. I’ll join you, if you’ll have me. Still, I really like the idea of coordinated teams going for an objective, besides “kill a bunch of stuff and stay alive”

• There’s no real strategy to TO really it’s just the side who keeps the other team respawning wins

• @Somervillage I don’t agree with that at all. You can have a team of all high ranked players and still lose in a TO against a low ranked team with good teamwork.

• @SDS-NewAgeKnight But more than 90% of the time low ranked players teaming is often very sloppy. All you really have to do is play as Vanguard and just RT through the whole thing or just get them to hit each other a bunch.

• @SDS-NewAgeKnight said in Private TO matches?:

@Somervillage I don’t agree with that at all. You can have a team of all high ranked players and still lose in a TO against a low ranked team with good teamwork.

Probably because those low rank players were level 40-50 on the xbox360 laugh
    Real low levels would never win, even with a shred of strategy. Unless you switch teams and let them.
    At least from my experience.

• Here’s the thing, the more you play with a consistent team, the easier it is to coordinate attacks and develop strategies. Two teams of players with similiar skill levels is no longer a battle of kill the other team. It becomes a battle of which team is more shady, clever, or otherwise tactically inclined. Except for certain objectives.

• I think the most successful strategies in TO are communication and (obviously) teamwork. A team of good fighters running around doing whatever they feel like isn’t as effective as a team of average players using mics and working together.
    Take battering ram, for example. Running up by yourself and getting encircled by 3 opponents while being shot at does nothing. However, a Tower Shield Knight protecting the guy swinging the ram while someone else is occupying the opposition as the catapult bombs the archers on the walls…

• Banned

@Gnarlydude I’m pretty sure a bunch of good 40s can walk through TO’s. I use to do it everyday.

• @Vade said in Private TO matches?:

@Gnarlydude I’m pretty sure a bunch of good 40s can walk through TO’s. I use to do it everyday.

True…a small team of more experienced players can wade through an army of rookies more often than not. Just as often, the experienced ones will instinctively work together and also use voice commands if not a mic.

• @Gnarlydude Ah, voice commands. But who can take an archer/man at arms seriously? “follow me!”

• Archers and MaA are usually best on their own, I think. I was thinking more along the lines of a few Knights and Vanguards.
    I always use mic, and often I pair up with someone who uses “yes, no, defend, go for objective, behind us” etc. Landshark is really good at it, among others.

• Some of the best archers I’ve seen tend to stick mid/front line. Good MAA are ninjas and there’s not much point in trying to keep up with them. I’ve spent entire games racking up kills protecting the archers from bloodthirsty players; as everyone else seems to forget about them. But, it’s not often you’ll find a lobby stacked with even half decent archers.

• Aye, I’ve stood alongside a good Archer with my Flail and really put a hurtin’ on the other team. I shield him while reloading, and by the time opponents get to us they’re bleeding.

• Honestly, the great thing about team play is that it’s hard to single out individual weakness. At the end of the day, it’s still “great job team”. It’s how you often get players to start communicating and building the community, or getting salty and making enemies. Me personally, I’m just here to play chiv.

• MAAs are good but they need to be with a knight, not a vanguard. Team damage is a real issue. MAA is a support class like archer. You are there to be annoying as possible in engagements. That means backstabbing and thanking in between enemies trying to parry a Messer to their right and your lightning fast Norse sword to their left. As long as your teammates fight with awareness a MAA should be involved in almost every kill either with an assist or a final shank to the sides of an enemy. A MAA should also almost never be leading a charge, stick to the sides and pick your fights, sometimes you will just get in the way of your team, especially vanguards.

• @AK tbh, you can play the same role as a MAA as a knight with a SOW . Works almost as effectively

• @AK said in Private TO matches?:

MAAs are good but they need to be with a knight, not a vanguard. Team damage is a real issue. MAA is a support class like archer. You are there to be annoying as possible in engagements. That means backstabbing and thanking in between enemies trying to parry a Messer to their right and your lightning fast Norse sword to their left. As long as your teammates fight with awareness a MAA should be involved in almost every kill either with an assist or a final shank to the sides of an enemy. A MAA should also almost never be leading a charge, stick to the sides and pick your fights, sometimes you will just get in the way of your team, especially vanguards.

^pro tip

• @AK If you use the Knight secondary with the kite shield of the flail you can get good speed out of a knight as well. Not my favorite to use and it’s rare to see but I have seen this combo do some damage.