Antipodean adventures in Mirage: General feedback from AU on build 52985

• Not sure if some of this has
    been considered before. Would also
    appreciate testers with more game time piping in to give their view.

I also realise a lot of this doesn’t address the weekly test focus on game mode - forgive us, it was our first chance to get our hands on low ping combat.

AU lads - if you feel like I’ve missed anything, or you disagree with my summary jump in!

Kick/shove for all classes and a Vigilist counter
    As it stands, the Vigilist is obnoxious. Although the shield hit box is light years ahead of shields in Chivalry (the lean back and spin was tried instinctively by almost all of us lol), the lack of a way to knock down the shield makes fighting the Vigilist an absolute pain in the ass.

Last night I was able to stand in a corner and block three people attacking at once with no change in my block aiming. I understand stamina is placeholder at the moment (successful blocks seem to make it regenerate…?) but in the view of most of the Aussie testers, all classes need some kind of kick/shove similar to Chivalry.

Our thoughts were this shouldn’t be an ability, it should be a separate bind that you can always have. It should be quite low range, force a parry/block to drop, and give a small knock back.

Besides countering Vigilists, this also gives plenty of room for shenanigans in these maps that you’ve added so much height to (excellent work on the maps, btw).

Alchemancer
    I appreciate you flagged him a being underwhelming in this update, but some feedback on the alchemancer. On the whole, people liked the reload addition. It made the whole thing less spammy.
    General consensus was also that he could benefit from having his scroll wheel attacks back to give some diversity,and provide some close combat options.

Some changes I personally have been stewing on are:

• longer windup on projectiles - currently, an unsuccessful parry of a close range projectile will lead to you copping two hits, because the second one hits so fast. I don’t think they should move any slower, but a slightly longer gap in between shots could be interesting?

• increase ammo count before reload, up to maybe six or so - just to see how it plays out, but I think this would only be worthwhile with longer windup times.

• took me ages to see where ammo was displayed - it’s just not where you’d think to look in the centre of the screen, and it doesn’t look like an ammo counter. I think the standard number in the corner like FPS games would work better. You could also have some kind of element in the character model itself - maybe a ring on each finger that glows, and when you fire it, it dims. Not sure what you can see in first person currently, however.

Taurant

Taurant trades almost made me physically ill - I realise this has been one of those extreme changes to test things, but just want to flag that I am eagerly awaiting the return of fhf (Mirage mercs when??).

It generally felt inconsistent, and felt like you weren’t getting rewarded for successfully strafing around the Taurant’s attacks.

I also think the Boulder is currently too effective at close range - face hug boulders are pretty annoying to parry, but I’m not sure how to tweak this - possible slight change to trajectory so it goes over facehug range? Not sure.

I’m definitely regretting typing this on my phone - I may add more later on when I think of it.

• Had an absolute blast playing, and generally agree with everything posted, although after playing the Alchemancer for a fair bit, it was actually really effective and only needs the slightest changes. Something very weak but actually offensive when in close combat is needed as I found myself back-pedalling and constantly parrying blows around the map just to buy enough time to use teleport or fly.

Hit trading is something that I hope is being focused on in the future (I’m perfectly fine if it was near instantaneous), but it was blindingly obvious for both parties involved and felt disgusting every time it happened. There were perfect side step stabs from the tinker into the Taurant only to eat the very end of the lmb half a second later.

The rest is quite good and everything seems to be coming along nicely. Loving the maps and the huge elevation differences, lots of shenanigans to be had with that.
    Also props to the Vypress Shadow Kick ability, being able to drag 360 and fly up to another level with a kick is absolutely great. maybe a little too good in CTF though, I managed to grab the flag in the center and shadow kick fly away to the cap point in about 2 seconds.

• @jrmftw said in Antipodean adventures in Mirage: General feedback from AU on build 52985:

Also props to the Vypress Shadow Kick ability, being able to drag 360 and fly up to another level with a kick is absolutely great. maybe a little too good in CTF though, I managed to grab the flag in the center and shadow kick fly away to the cap point in about 2 seconds.

Very good point on abilities and CTF. Maybe instead of lowering the players run speed when holding the flag, they should be locked out of using any ability that could be used for mobility. However getting the flag to the point is only half the battle, because you can’t capture it successfully if the point is contested.

• @jrmftw

Further to the shadow kick flying, that could be combined with her grappling hook thing to cover an insane amount of distance haha.

• Developer

Alchemancer

• All ammo will be displayed in the typical FPS way, probably a few builds away from being implemented though.
    • The windup is extremely sensitive on his main attack, there isn’t too much wiggle room left while keeping it in the satisfying range, will keep an eye on it going forward though.
    • We’ll be testing alchemancer without a parry next build again, replaced by a kick
      • we’re not sure if he needs to be defensive up close but he absolutely needs some kind of offensive option up close that interrupts.
      • If parry is still required on him it’ll be weakened in some ways as having him just parry you isn’t very fun for anyone involved

Taurant

• Hit trading reduced a fair bit for the next build, still just experimenting and are currently still leaning towards FHF
    • Facehug projectiles in general can be quite unreliable, will get a solid solution at some point as projectiles up close should never really be a viable strategy.

Glad you guys like the vypress movement stuff, some of my favorite abilities in the game!

• @Vesros

Awesome, glad to hear it. I definitely feel like a parry is necessary, but appreciate that you’ll want to test it.