Magic Parrying and Dragging

• Is really cool. I love how it is integrated into the regular fighting system. I had been worried that it would feel like a gimmick or a win button slapped on top of regular melee fighting. It’s not. It feels totally integrated to me.

• I know some people who played Chivalry, who are down on the concept of this game because they wanted a melee combat game - not magic. People make comparisons between Overwatch and Mirage because they have some thing in common on the surface: traditional FPS (shooter/slasher) with special abilities 2-4 per character.

Before Overwatch came out, what people were saying they were afraid of with Mirage is EXACTLY what Overwatch turned out to be - the magical abilities in Overwatch have nothing to do with the core mechanics of the game and many of them seem like instant give-me buttons. Worse are the finishers you unlock after a minute or two that have large effects.

Mirage is not like that. The characters are magical, and they interact with the magic in a way that makes it mundane. They parry the magical attacks and can see them coming, so they play into the standard combat system very cleanly.

It is so different from Overwatch and better than what nay-sayers are fearing.

I bring it up because I think it is a great selling point if people can see what it has going for it.

• Global Moderator

The issue is with the people themself they see a game and instant compare it to an other that have slight in common mechanics but have nothing to do with each other at all. On top of that they forget a game takes usually years to develop so Mirage was proberly already in development whle no one even heard of Overwatch yet. I also love how people keep comparing games to Overwatch while that game in itself is a copy of all kind of games even the name is “stolen” from Valve’s Overwatch system in CS:GO :P.

• @Cakebread666 This is great feedback! I agree that it makes a huge difference when you can react, parry, and counter abilities. People have a lot of pre-conceptions built up, but these are mostly due to lack of details; we’ll have more opportunity show off our magic at the next PAX and in upcoming videos and trailers.

• @Reithur said in Magic Parrying and Dragging:

@Cakebread666 This is great feedback! I agree that it makes a huge difference when you can react, parry, and counter abilities. People have a lot of pre-conceptions built up, but these are mostly due to lack of details; we’ll have more opportunity show off our magic at the next PAX and in upcoming videos and trailers.

You should get someone good at the game to do a 2v1 and target switch after parrying a magic attack. That’s go a long way to showing the old school Chiv guys that their skills will transfer and magic isn’t a win button.

• @Cakebread666 Love the idea!

• @Cakebread666 2v1s in the current build are nearly impossible due to the turn cap.

• Developer

@Cakebread666

Thanks for the cool feedback. We’re definitely trying our best with future trailers and public demos to show how melee + magic come together in one system. Playing with tutorial style videos right now. We’d like to show the Chivalry community how the skills you’ve learned in Chivalry are just the first step towards the broader combat system (thanks to magic) offered in Mirage.

Looks like your connection to Torn Banner Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.