8 v 8 Feedback

• Hi all,

Our NA playtest today had an 8v8; we’d love to hear what you thought about playing with that many people!

• Pretty crazy. I noticed a lot of skipping at some points but i’m assuming that’s just the server acting up with so many people in it. Had a blast though, combat was smooth, graphics were nice, and everyone seemed to have a blast while playing it. Keep up the good work!

• I think it worked well on the gamemode with the capture points, but when there was a cart to push I think it got too crowded and chaotic.

• Fun but just to much going on especially with the alchemancer class. Really I dont like the class much in general i think its to hard to balance properly and no one likes dieing to a long range attack. Also the taurent needs some work the accelerates combined with the range are not balanced.

• Absolute madness. Great fun, but again, with the smaller TO maps it’s nearly impossible to play. Not to mention frame skipping, frame loss, lag, and the occasional crash.

• Was incredibly fun, despite the lag I just enjoyed seeing a bunch of shit going on. However, one thing I noticed is that the rat class (Alchemancer) kind of turned into the chiv archer. With all the shit that was going on, I almost never was able to keep track and parry his rat attacks. So I decided to go rat myself, and I felt almost invincible. Barrage was able to deal a shit load of damage in chokepoints and phoenix having a low cooldown felt good. No one was able to kill me except when the majority of my team died.

I think lag aside, it was pretty damn fun.

• I vote to kill the rat meme

• Global Moderator

Loved it. I could see this as like a “Funday” server thing where it’s not designed around a balanced game, but where people get together and just have fun. Basically a Moolander server type thing.
    However, I didn’t feel that the classes and engine were balanced around that many players. In the past when I’ve played in 4v4’s my framerate ranged from 120 at the best to 70 at the worst. With the 8v9 my framerate out the gate was sub 90 and in the high 40s in open environment. Also, it felt that at higher numbers the classes that shined the most were the Terrence, Alcomancer, and the Vigglest because they synergize so well. But that’s also the damned point as the Vigglest and Terrence are front-liners whilest the Alcohomancer assists. Though, one terrence dropping into a massive fight who blows his entire ability load will usually clear a point if not contested.
    To reiterate: 1) not balanced around 8v8 or more. 2) Terrence came out like a wrecking ball. 3) Pls gib com hither.

Insincerely,
    Papsikins Heironomous Boschnlaumb Tyrannathesaurus Rex [B]uttman the 1st of Wellington

CPU: i7-5820k
    RAM: 32 Giggers of Dance Dance Revolution Four
    GPU: nVIDIUR GTX 970 4 Gigglebiggles
    Because why not.

• @Papsi said in 8 v 8 Feedback:

Loved it. I could see this as like a “Funday” server thing where it’s not designed around a balanced game, but where people get together and just have fun. Basically a Moolander server type thing.
    However, I didn’t feel that the classes and engine were balanced around that many players. In the past when I’ve played in 4v4’s my framerate ranged from 120 at the best to 70 at the worst. With the 8v9 my framerate out the gate was sub 90 and in the high 40s in open environment. Also, it felt that at higher numbers the classes that shined the most were the Terrence, Alcomancer, and the Vigglest because they synergize so well. But that’s also the damned point as the Vigglest and Terrence are front-liners whilest the Alcohomancer assists. Though, one terrence dropping into a massive fight who blows his entire ability load will usually clear a point if not contested.
    To reiterate: 1) not balanced around 8v8 or more. 2) Terrence came out like a wrecking ball. 3) Pls gib com hither.

Insincerely,
    Papsikins Heironomous Boschnlaumb Tyrannathesaurus Rex [B]uttman the 1st of Wellington

CPU: i7-5820k
    RAM: 32 Giggers of Dance Dance Revolution Four
    GPU: nVIDIUR GTX 970 4 Gigglebiggles
    Because why not.

This post wins teh internets today.

• I thought it was pretty fun. Even though the game has been designed for a 6 v 6 format, I think it could easily accommodate more players, maybe even going as high as 12 v 12.

• It was a ton of fun going way over the player limit. Technical issues aside like lag, desync, and framerate; the gameplay holds up pretty well and there are some very exciting moments to be had (like a 3 or 4 person multihit with taurant boulder).

However in any format greater than just a few players, and even with just a few players, there exists a huge issue with Alchemancer who is just too difficult to deal with while trying to focus on a melee fight.
    I find Alchemancer even more frustrating than a Chiv archer, at least the chiv archer had some down time between shots where after he missed I knew I had breathing room.

• Alchemancer has no down time, his reload isn’t very long and he gets to fire 5 fireballs which he can control their trajectory. They deal enough damage to be significant, very consistently will hit (they’re not hard to aim with dragging which means headshots abound), and often in the melee fight you have no idea where you’re being hit from.
    • His damaging abilities are actually the least of the issue, it’s really just the constant stream of fireballs that makes him hard to deal with. Should you manage to locate the alchemancer, he’s often very close to his friends and will easily flee with one of his escape maneuvers, forcing you to retreat (while taking more fireballs to the back for daring to go after the alchemancer).
    • He can’t be one shot killed by anything, making punishing an alchemancer brutally difficult if not impossible

Imo if this character class is to be a fun addition for everyone and not just the person playing Alchemancer, the fireball default attacks need to go, and he needs to be given a small dagger as his primary. Offload more of his ranged damage into his abilities, even give him access to some kind of avatar form where he can start spamming those fireballs, but it shouldn’t be all the time. This way he has a preference towards ranged attacks, but there exists times where it’s on cooldown and he needs to engage in a melee fight with a less than optimal weapon.

• @Gauntlet
    The Alchemancer issue is something I’ve been mentioning quite a lot, so this might be a bit repetetive.

If you’re in a 1v1 against an alchemancer, you can easily parry his fireballs one after another. However, if he has someone else with him, you end up being stuck in parry, as you not only have to parry the alchemancer, you have to deal with the other person as well; this is obviously a major issue gameplay wise.
    The issue was never his infinite amount of shots, and a reload was never really required, and still isn’t. The issue has and always will be the speed of which he can fire off his projectiles at.
    There are a few solutions to this issue, some of which I’ve advocated for in the past:

• Moving the projectile to stab, having a slightly longer windup on it and no possible option to combo one projectile into another.
      The longer windup coped with non-combo options would significantly lower the spam of the projectile.
    • Add a flinch when someone parries the projectile.
      I’m not sure if this happens when someone parries your wardstrike now, but a few patches ago when it happened, you yourself would get flinched. This would prevent spam while also rewarding the opponent who just parried the projectile.
    • As Gauntlet mentioned, just remove it as a main attack and move it to an ability slot.
      This way you could have a max of 2-3 fireballs stored up with a longer cooldown until you regain them - preferably 2 with a 10 second recharge time. I think this is the optimal solution to the alchemancer issue and I think that he’s better off with a rapier or a longer dagger/shortsword of some sort; heck even an ethereal weapon would look pretty neat on him.

Sidenote: I know this is off topic, but as Gauntlet brought up the alchemancer issue, I figured it would be a good idea to discuss it.

• Last night we managed to get quite a few testers on for another large scale battle (roughly 8v8). We focused on to_Bazaar, and switched sides after each round.

What I noticed was this:
    We played a total of three matches in to_Bazaar. Every defending team was able to DNF the other on first objective. Here are some bullet pointed problems with the first objective being too difficult.

• Bashran spawn is too close to the objective
    • The capture points take too long before control switches
    • Capture points are too close together

If one of these is changed, it will likely resolve the issue. A faster capture means that you can successfully sneak one objective while the enemy team is busy at the other. Currently because of the close distance between capture points, long time to capture, and mobility of players, you’ll be swarmed in moments before you can capture the point. A player who is respawning and sees the objective being captured has enough time to get to A or B site before the full capture is done.

• Co-signed on everything Gauntlet said. We did see some strategies begin to emerge as the matches progressed, so it may be a matter of just gittin’ gud, but I would agree that the capture points take a bit too long to neutralize and change hands.

• @Gauntlet @Exile

I also had some initial concerns about the speed at which you can defend the objective, but as Exile said we might see some strategies emerge.

Also curious to see how it continues to play out in less coordinated environments vs more coordinated environments.

Will definitely address this in internal testing.

Looks like your connection to Torn Banner Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.