Old Chivalry vs New Chivalry

• [Disclaimer: I think both players/youtubers are really good, this is not to hate or critique but to show a shift in playstyle over time]

Old Chivalry: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWQMGRIueik 2014

• Low FOV
    • Players face each other 90% of the time
    • Riposte wars
    • Matrixes utilized against frontal assaults

New Chivalry (Present): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6G0rp6_bafw 2015

• High FOV
    • Matrixes are more prevalent
    • Players can be seen ROHing (reverse overhead/rainbow)
    • Backswings
    • Extreme drags
    • Waterfall/Footdrags
    • Lmb whirlwind (horizontal rainbow)

Similarities:

• FTP (feint to parry) used by both
    • Common tactic is to attempt a drag attack followed by an accelerated attack
    • Feints utilized sparingly
    • Body feints are common
    • Battling at face hug range is common.

• Oh hey, I’m the first two deaths in that first video. The first my attack literally goes through him and does nothing, the second I flinched him but it still made part of a tracer and killed me. Well made game.

• On topic though, high FoV had been used earlier, just wasn’t as widespread. Crushed had been using 140/150 forever.

I think part of the reason it spread was due to the camera change. They put the camera back a bit so that if you used 120 FoV it didn’t clip into your shoulders as bad.

Also, feints were used in EU a lot more. NA went through a dumb no feint in duel phase. The first video also had an immense bubble preventing players from getting super close, which nerfed reverses AND footwork. We also just weren’t as good at em back then.

• @Naleaus said in Old Chivalry vs New Chivalry:

Oh hey, I’m the first two deaths in that first video. The first my attack literally goes through him and does nothing, the second I flinched him but it still made part of a tracer and killed me. Well made game.

Srry man I wasn’t paying attention to who was getting killed.

• @Naleaus said in Old Chivalry vs New Chivalry:

On topic though, high FoV had been used earlier, just wasn’t as widespread. Crushed had been using 140/150 forever.

I think part of the reason it spread was due to the camera change. They put the camera back a bit so that if you used 120 FoV it didn’t clip into your shoulders as bad.

Also, feints were used in EU a lot more. NA went through a dumb no feint in duel phase. The first video also had an immense bubble preventing players from getting super close, which nerfed reverses AND footwork. We also just weren’t as good at em back then.

I never heard of chivalry until very late 2014/early 2015 so I wouldn’t know who was using high FOV way back when–but yeah I should have factored the unique few using it.

I also didn’t factor in EU vs NA which I should have X(

Its weird how it took one year for widespread playstyle to change so radically (at least on the NA side)

• @Hoplite-x-Viz
    Balance and mechanic changes were still ongoing then. I’d have to look up dates but I believe the first video had recovery parry instead of cftp. Those types of changes force a meta to shift instead of having one naturally occur. They also usually piss off a good portion of the playerbase (looking at you June patch.)

• Oh and I don’t care I’m in the video. Just that this game is buggy as shit and always has been.

Looks like your connection to Torn Banner Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.