Help a "bad" player out

• So I need some help. I just cant get good at this game.

I have tried all the classes, but I just cant do much.

As a knight, I cant get in and hit people. I use my tower shield to block, but attacks still easily get around (yes I am “aiming” at their hit).

When every I hit someone, especially vanguard and MaA, they do not seem to stagger, and their weapon swings and kills me.

The “kick” seems useless to me, as it puts too great of a distance between you.

• Don’t give up! Keep practicing!

Try different weapons until you find one you like. The knight class is probably the best place to start until you start getting the hang of things.

Use the kick if they are shield blocking or parrying your attacks. If you attack and they block then counter attack, which you block, instead of attacking right away, which they are anticipating by blocking, kick instead. This will break their block then follow it up with an overhand or stab attack.

A common tactic is running at a person, newer players will instinctively swing when you start getting close, if you can judge the distance correctly stop outside their swing, then as they miss rush in and overhand or stab them.

Overhands and stab attacks do more damage then the swing attacks. It’s common for new players to want to use the swing attack the most since it is the easiest to hit with, but if you spend some time learning to land stabs and overhands you will get more kills.

Most importantly don’t give up! Watch what other players do. Imitate their tactics and try them out for yourself.

• Practice makes perfect.

After doing the tutorial, playing a few games, and starting to understand the basic mechanics of the game; you should progress to the advanced portion. Of course, it’s not the same in real combat.

Kicking can be useful, especially to knock people off cliffs or into spikes. You can also disrupt someone’s block with a kick, then go in with a stab (some weapons don’t swing fast enough to hit a good player like this though).

The best thing I can tell you is, if you want to survive more than kill recklessly, be patient. Observe your enemy and your surroundings. Make sure you won’t be fighting more than you can handle. Wait for your opponent to make the first move.

Beyond learning the mechanics of the game, it just comes down to honing in your reflexes and timing.

• @Mashuu:

So I need some help. I just cant get good at this game.

I have tried all the classes, but I just cant do much.

As a knight, I cant get in and hit people. I use my tower shield to block, but attacks still easily get around (yes I am “aiming” at their hit).

When every I hit someone, especially vanguard and MaA, they do not seem to stagger, and their weapon swings and kills me.

The “kick” seems useless to me, as it puts too great of a distance between you.

Part of the problem is the flinching mechanic not working like it should.

I have had dozens of times myself when I hit the enemy as they were winding up their attack, only to be bashed in the face anyway. Other times, I do the same thing and they flinch. It either has to do with latency or just a buggy game mechanic that works whenever it feels like. That is a bigger deal than people realize. It can make the difference between a healthy Kill to Death ratio and vice versa.

• This biggest thing I’ve noticed in this game is that you have to react. Just play passively and wait for an opportunity or something you can take advantage of. All about timing, goodluck.

• Free for all. Just rush in, make mistakes, learn from them, and keep at it.

• @gB:

Don’t give up! Keep practicing!

Try different weapons until you find one you like. The knight class is probably the best place to start until you start getting the hang of things.

Use the kick if they are shield blocking or parrying your attacks. If you attack and they block then counter attack, which you block, instead of attacking right away, which they are anticipating by blocking, kick instead. This will break their block then follow it up with an overhand or stab attack.

A common tactic is running at a person, newer players will instinctively swing when you start getting close, if you can judge the distance correctly stop outside their swing, then as they miss rush in and overhand or stab them.

Overhands and stab attacks do more damage then the swing attacks. It’s common for new players to want to use the swing attack the most since it is the easiest to hit with, but if you spend some time learning to land stabs and overhands you will get more kills.

Most importantly don’t give up! Watch what other players do. Imitate their tactics and try them out for yourself.

Problem is kicking really doesnt do much. It puts them out of range is all.

The flinch mechanic is broken. Cant count the number of times I hit a vanguard, only to have him shrug it off and swing his axe at me at lightening speed.

I mostly do do stabs. But since, for some reason, the knight has no longer range weapons, you cant “catch” people, especially vanguards. Nothing liek stabbing a vanguard 4 times with your longsword, and having him swing his and kill you.
    Thats another thing. Why do vangaurds need a nerf. 180 degree charge attack? No…. Swinging an axe when you are 1 inch away from someone? No.

Infact, I was killing more people with the shorter swords for the knight. His main ones are near useless as they have not enough range, and are too slow.

• @Mashuu:

@gB:

Use the kick if they are shield blocking or parrying your attacks. This will break their block.

It does. It breaks their block. For some weapons it does not put them out of range. For the shorter weapons, if they are up against a wall it does not put them out of range.

@Mashuu:

The flinch mechanic is broken. Cant count the number of times I hit a vanguard, only to have him shrug it off and swing his axe at me at lightening speed.

It is not broken. You have to hit them during their windup for the flinch to work.

• And yes, latency plays a part in that.

• @gB:

@Mashuu:

@gB:

Use the kick if they are shield blocking or parrying your attacks. This will break their block.

It does. It breaks their block. For some weapons it does not put them out of range. For the shorter weapons, if they are up against a wall it does not put them out of range.

@Mashuu:

It is not broken. You have to hit them during their windup for the flinch to work.

Kicking: yes it breaks their block. But they recover before you get in range. Can’t always kick people into walls. I suggest that it do what it does, but makes them fly back a lot shorter.

Flinch: Well, the knight swings to slow for that to really be effective then. Seriously, his swings are like Molasses in January. I feel that when people get “good” at this, and if competitive starts, the knight will not be used at all, as he is far to slow with his weapon swings.

its annoying when you finally get inside a vanguard, only to have him swing spam, and you have to turn 45 degrees to parry.

@b3h47pte:

And yes, latency plays a part in that.

My ping is usually <80

• It doesn’t depend on just your ping. It also depends on your opponent’s ping.

• @Mashuu:

Flinch: Well, the knight swings to slow for that to really be effective then. Seriously, his swings are like Molasses in January. I feel that when people get “good” at this, and if competitive starts, the knight will not be used at all, as he is far to slow with his weapon swings.

Don’t swing. Use the stab and overhand attacks.

People are already good at this.

Knights will definitely be used in competitive play. Some of the best players in the game use the knight class and top the charts on any server. Keep practicing.

• @gB:

@Mashuu:

Don’t swing. Use the stab and overhand attacks.

People are already good at this.

Knights will definitely be used in competitive play. Some of the best players in the game use the knight class and top the charts on any server. Keep practicing.

I do use the stab. I get some success, but still cant seem to get in range sometimes. Trying to practice, but getting swarmed by vanguards all the time makes it tough, as they have range, speed, and damage on me usually.

Knights are good, but still most teams are filled with “bad” players. I mostly see vanguards toping the scoreboard.

EDIT: anyways. WHY does the kick send people flying so far back?

• Flinch: Well, the knight swings to slow for that to really be effective then. Seriously, his swings are like Molasses in January. I feel that when people get “good” at this, and if competitive starts, the knight will not be used at all, as he is far to slow with his weapon swings.

Dont swing, STAB. They can be used very effectively stabbing enemies.

1. use the great hammer or the normal hammer
    2. hit people with the end of your swing animation all the time
    3. spam that mouse1
    4. grats you are on top of the scoreboard

• @UrkleUrkleUrkle:

Dont swing, STAB. They can be used very effectively stabbing enemies.

Yes I do use stab. But it is still pretty slow. I am not very good at “aiming” yet, and it is still pretty slow.

Do you have a weapon suggestion? I have always been a fan of the longsword (I studied longsword play for a while. Kind of disappointed there is no half sword techniques or grappling at the sword.

I have had luck using the secondary swords, but I wanted to get the Messer (my favorite RL weapon) But its stats look really bad to me.

• @Mashuu:

Do you have a weapon suggestion? I have always been a fan of the longsword (I studied longsword play for a while. Kind of disappointed there is no half sword techniques or grappling at the sword.

I have had luck using the secondary swords, but I wanted to get the Messer (my favorite RL weapon) But its stats look really bad to me.

As knight I’ve been using the Sword of war/Falchion/Kiteshield and I’ll frequently top charts with a great K/D then have a few people proclaim love or request tutelage.

The 1h warhammer is disgusting and should not be used if you’re trying to learn the game.

The first axe is really strong but the poleaxe and bearded axe are more well rounded, the former can give vanguard’s medium range a severe poking.

More than anything I’d suggest doing the in-game training mode and really pay attention to the mechanics. I’ve seen MAA with shortswords not get touched, just dashing a circle around the target and stab him to death then move on. Likewise I’ve seen my own counters for what players on the receiving end were calling “wtf MAA cheating op hacker”.

Once you learn all the basics then you’ll be ready to make good choices not only how weapons can be used in certain playstyles but how to use weapons versus other playstyles.

Also this bothers me when I see it: Use your secondary. It’s there to keep your kit balanced.

• The Messer is actually pretty good. All of the Knight swords are, which you choose mostly depends on your playstyle. The Sword of War is the best to use onehanded, the Messer is the best to use twohanded, and the Longsword is the best if you intend to switch between one and two hands. The Messer’s biggest advantage is that its attacks deal half blunt damage due to the curved blade, meaning more damage against armored enemies, while also having slightly higher damage on its overhead/slash at the cost of range, speed, and a weaker stab. Its twohanded overheads will take a knight in 2 hits if you strike their head, which no other Knight sword can do, and it can also two shot MaA/Vanguard with just slashes to the body - requiring only one head slash to kill an archer.

• @SlyGoat:

The Messer is actually pretty good. All of the Knight swords are, which you choose mostly depends on your playstyle. The Sword of War is the best to use onehanded, the Messer is the best to use twohanded, and the Longsword is the best if you intend to switch between one and two hands. The Messer’s biggest advantage is that its attacks deal half blunt damage due to the curved blade, meaning more damage against armored enemies, while also having slightly higher damage on its overhead/slash at the cost of range, speed, and a weaker stab. Its twohanded overheads will take a knight in 2 hits if you strike their head, which no other Knight sword can do, and it can also two shot MaA/Vanguard with just slashes to the body - requiring only one head slash to kill an archer.

Is there some manual or repository for this kind of information?

• @Mike_Effing_Jones:

Is there some manual or repository for this kind of information?

Blaine put together this awesome reference. I’ve got pretty much every weapon’s hits to kill down to memory by now though. I play this game too much :|