Not too colorblind friendly

• Is it just me (color blind person), or is it sometimes hard to distinguish enemies and friends on the darker maps or in shadow? I mean mainly the MaA and the Archer. I have the same problem in TF2.

• I still think adding an option to display markers over teammates heads would be more friendly to anyone having this issue, regardless of colourblindness or not. Some people just want, or need this, and it has no bearing on gameplay at all. Hopefully it will be considered.

• I don’t have that problem, but being a bit color deficient I can barely see the light blue bar on the white bar for objective timers without straining my eyes. If it was darker it would be fine.

• @Martin:

I still think adding an option to display markers over teammates heads would be more friendly to anyone having this issue, regardless of colourblindness or not. Some people just want, or need this, and it has no bearing on gameplay at all. Hopefully it will considered.

If they add this, I would like it to have the ability to be toggled like the objectives so it doesn’t ruin the immersion of the game. Otherwise, it would be great having such a tool.

• There is a variety of color blind modes available - type colorblindsim into the console to get a list of them.

• @SlyGoat:

There is a variety of color blind modes available - type colorblindsim into the console to get a list of them.

I am a bit confused as to how this one works. SO I type colorblindsim then a number?

• Yes. Just typing colorblindsim brings up all of the possible modes, depending on your particular type of color blindness.

• I think colorblind people should suffer this penalty because god obviously made them colorblind because they are sinners!!

But yeah…having a colorblind mode couldnt hurt, though I wouldnt want icons on top of head unless you can remove them.

• Well, what if your totally blind, and all you hear is “ching, ching, ching,…uuuugggghhh!!”

But I to have had the wrong person in my sights at times, I hit the tab key at times and check which team im on. All I can say is smoke some weed, maybe it’ll bring out the colors for ya. Does for me :)

• Developer

@SlyGoat:

Yes. Just typing colorblindsim brings up all of the possible modes, depending on your particular type of color blindness.

Sorry, that’s not how these options work. They’re actually used to simulate the effect of colorblindness. We implemented these so our artists could see whether the game did hold up under different types of colorblindness.

We actually did put a good amount of thought and effort into avoiding issues for colorblind users. Myself and another member of the team have the most common sort of color vision deficiency (“deuteranomaly”), where the green-detecting cells are shifted towards red. This made for a pretty annoying time in Battlefield 3 trying to tell squad members (pale green) and enemies (pale red) apart before they added colorblind mode, so I can relate ;)

Because the team colors are strongly red and blue, the only form of colorblindness that should be strongly affected by the game is total color blindness, which is very rare; other forms of colorblindness typically allow separation of red and blue, since they don’t have any significant overlap from the eye’s cones. Even then, we made sure each team has distinctive models and patterns that allow you to distinguish which is which even without any color vision at all (which is also useful for fully-sighted folks when they’re affected by the dying shader).

If there’s problems differentiating players in shadow in some maps, it’s probably not strictly colorblindess-related, and is affecting everyone else too. If the shadow is just plain too dark, a screenshot of the affected spot would be appreciated :)

• @CrustaceanSoup:

@SlyGoat:

Yes. Just typing colorblindsim brings up all of the possible modes, depending on your particular type of color blindness.

Sorry, that’s not how these options work. They’re actually used to simulate the effect of colorblindness. We implemented these so our artists could see whether the game did hold up under different types of colorblindness.

Well now I feel silly :P I assume you just forgot to disable that command for regular users then, like the potentially disastrous aoc_ commands?

• Developer

More like didn’t bother. Unlike some commands, it can’t hurt anything if someone stumbles on it ;)

• I’m not colour-blind, but I find that when I get low on health and the screen greys out, it can be extremely difficult to tell friends from enemies. It also seems like the application of the effect actually causes a drop in framerate.