Improvements to the combat system

• What always got me angry in the original was that whenever a fast class went into combat with a slower one, the faster class lost it’s speed advantage completely because of a poor design choice. With the very heavy classes, you couldn’t dodge anymore and you certainly couldn’t parry. You needed about 4 hits to kill them, and if they used an overhead swing you’d be dead, you couldn’t parry or run away fast enough to avoid it. Can we remove the movement restrictions in combat, please?

• Developer

If you are referring to the “toe-to-toe” system in aoc, (which made it so that you were slowed after being hit), then I can tell you it will not be in place in chivalry. The toe-to-toe system was a band-aid solution for a movement system that all around was terrible for a melee based game. You will not feel the same restrictions in chivalry.

• The toe-to-toe system certainly did NOT remove mobility advantage in combat. It actually just made it so classes like the Heavy Knight had a chance against fast classes who could otherwise just sprint around them and kill them without the heavy knight ever having a chance to make a swing. If you think sprint speed is the only mobility advantage classes like Man-at-Arms had in AoC, think again. Their normal walking speed was considerably faster than slow classes, very noticeably so.

• You should get some penalty for getting hit in combat.

You cant get hit and continue moving around slashing people…

The meaning of combat is to hit the other while not getting hitted. I hope there is some way to prevent the tank hits in chivalry, what I mean is that you just leave your opponent to attack you and then you smash his head, thats wrong :P

• I vote for the AoC pushback/slowdown when hit, it works well.

• Shields should have 1 more drawback. Currently in AoC they’re usually better than no-shield fighting.

• No momentum dependent damage increase, we need to be running TOWARDS the enemy archers, not away from those k/d whores.

On another note, I hope C:ME will also get an “oldAoC” mod which is basically a graphically updated/unbugged AoC (with the old movement system)

• @dragonfury:

On another note, I hope C:ME will also get an “oldAoC” mod which is basically a graphically updated/unbugged AoC (with the old movement system)

+1

• @dragonfury:

Sounds like something that’s on the community to produce, rather than the devs.

• I agree with slygoat. As for improvements to the combat system well its a different engine all together so instead of thinking about game play mechanics that needed fixing on the old engine lets think about game play elements overall that we would like to see improved.

Personally I liked how stamina worked in the old game but hated how classes such as the Heavy knight could tank a Hit and then deliver a full power blow straight after. Alot of the time this will irritate the player fighting them as they are risking everything to get a hit in against a heavy knight all to be rewarded with instant death. Heavy knights should have to parry more and think consciously about which attack they used.

It would be nice to see a knock back system put into play so that in the immediate time after taking a hit to say the head the heavy knight is unable to deliver a 100% hit.

• Well, Tibberius, the toe-to-toe system is not forced to be related to the old engine to see it as a good feature. It added depth and tension to the fights because you knew that a mistake could cost your life by slowing you and making your chance to counterattack decreases significantly, it was realistic and gameplay valuable at the same time. When facing a good opponent you experienced the fear to make the first move, resulting often in two good opponents staring at each others before making a move. The tension was tangible and it added really something to the game. So keep it. :D

• Developer

I don’t regret putting T2T in age of chivalry, it was the right move at the time. But, if we had a properly designed movement system, there wouldn’t have been a need to implement something so crude to try and fix it.

• Yeah, I loved and hated the Toe-to-Toe addition. It managed to balance out some issues and detriment a lot of game play at the same time.

• Yeah I agree with slygoat. Alot of the past issues where made worse but as with all versions of aoc the gameplay evolved to compensate for this which is what I loved most about the game.

• The big question is the following.

How will we mortals kill speeding maa’s without T2T system ?

If they can shield block as in AOC and there is no T2T system everything weights quite heavily towards “dancing”.

• @Dussan:

The big question is the following.

How will we mortals kill speeding maa’s without T2T system ?

If they can shield block as in AOC and there is no T2T system everything weights quite heavily towards “dancing”.

T2T was not needed to kill a Man at arms speaking as player who played man at arms for the majority of my time playing aoc.

Yes the speed was the most dynamic part of the class but we could not kill in one hit and had to get within range to kill players. Alot of the time knights and other players would let a maa draw close before dispatching them with a parry then an overhand. It was all about reading the path of the man at arms, where they where attacking from and which direction they would run away. If you knew this you could kill one easily. Toe to toe handicapped all players and made tanking an extremely viable and easy tactic for any of the heavy classes to use because entering into combat was a risk and potentially fatal for any of the light classes.