Real beer.

• No budweiser rice beer allowed!

• Here we go again

• @Wingy:

Here we go again

conspiracy:

GB = Glenn Beck

• Your mix is far too hot, I hope you turn it down before you burn the malt and put the yeast in.

• @Expat:

Your mix is far too hot, I hope you turn it down before you burn the malt and put the yeast in.

Haha. Before you put the yeast in? Who puts the yeast in when you’re doing your boil? ~~You proved in one sentence you don’t know jack about brewing. Please don’t ever talk about brewing beer again.

We’ve been brewing for three years and we’ve brewed just over 200 gallons of beer. How many gallons have you brewed? Actually I don’t care. If you would even think we would put in yeast while it’s that hot you’re stupid.~~** Topic closed. Next.

**edit I’m an asshole.

• Acid Beer. :|
    Freaking junkie…

• @gB:

@Expat:

Your mix is far too hot, I hope you turn it down before you burn the malt and put the yeast in.

Haha. Before you put the yeast in? Who puts the yeast in when you’re doing your boil? You proved in one sentence you don’t know jack about brewing. Please don’t ever talk about brewing beer again.

We’ve been brewing for three years and we’ve brewed just over 200 gallons of beer. How many gallons have you brewed? Actually I don’t care. If you would even think we would put in yeast while it’s that hot you’re stupid. Topic closed. Next.

Your so mean Mr cranky pants.

• damn gB, harsh

• Yea that was way too harsh. Sorry expat. I responded to your comment poorly.

• @gB:

Yea that was way too harsh. Sorry expat. I responded to your comment poorly.

No, your responded to it like a cool guy. The type who doesn’t look at explosions.

• @gB:

Yea that was way too harsh. Sorry expat. I responded to your comment poorly.

<3

To answer your question though, I used to brew a fair bit of ale for a few years, many moons ago.

Didn’t look at your picture closely either, I thought you were stirring in a plastic fermentation bin (thus why it would be far, far too hot), looking at it again now I can see it’s a steel pot you’re cooking your mix in. ;)

P.S. It took me a few years to learn this, but don’t burn your malt too much for a rich dark porter/stout (if that’s what you’re aiming for)* and then go crazy on the hops, as sweet as that burnt malt flavour is, you get a lot of bitterness (more than you’d ever think) and I find there’s often little need to go as nuts on the hops as you would for an IPA like Goose Island for example.

• the one exception being if you’re making an Imperial-esque stout, in which case go nuts. You’ll have to lay that bad boy down for a few years anyway to get that old musty library flavour anyway, which will take the edge right off the hops.

• So what’s wrong with ordinary beer that you know… buy in the store ?

• @Dussan:

So what’s wrong with ordinary beer that you know… buy in the store ?

The last time I brewed, I equated the entire cost of brewing to about 8p a pint I recall.

I had a “cheap” pint at the pub the other night for £2.50…!

• @Expat:

@Dussan:

The last time I brewed, I equated the entire cost of brewing to about 8p a pint I recall.

I had a “cheap” pint at the pub the other night for £2.50…!

Do it like everyone else, Buy in bulk from Germany.

• @Expat:

<3

To answer your question though, I used to brew a fair bit of ale for a few years, many moons ago.

Didn’t look at your picture closely either, I thought you were stirring in a plastic fermentation bin (thus why it would be far, far too hot), looking at it again now I can see it’s a steel pot you’re cooking your mix in. ;)

Yea expat thanks for the explanation I can understand why you responded the way you did.

We’ve done a bunch of different brews. One of the craziest was last year. An imperial american honey nut brown ale. We used 2 lbs of dark brown sugar, 4 lbs of honey and 8ozs of hops. It was epic. It’s about 19% abv. (For those of you that don’t know what that means a bud light is 4.2%. So one of these is like 4 1/2 bud lights.) It really needed to age a bit before it was any more then a sipper. You put down two bottles of these and you know it. We tried to put down a six pack each and were so drunk after the fourth I think we got completely sidetracked. I still have two bottles aging. I had two at christmas and it was very good. Almost a mead. Though I’m not one for sweet beers. It’s my buddies fault there was so much honey. Our original plan was for 2 lbs. But he got carried away.

My ultimate brew I want to work on is a light ale that’s got the light yellowish color and smoothness of an american lager with the hops flavor of an ipa.

We love hops though. So our next brews are a series of IPAs. It’s fun to take one recipe and then tweak it for like four or five different batches and see the differences in taste each tweak and adjustment makes.

@Dussan:

That’s a loaded question. Depends on what store and what beer at said store.

Pretty much all mass produced american lagers are pretty low on the scale of quality beer. The reason most europeans look down on american beers are because americans have been brainwashed, primarily by the marketing campaigns of Anheuser Busch, into believing mass produced beer made from cheap adjuncts, i.e. rice, is the way beer is supposed to taste. So with that said, it’s fairly safe to say pretty much anyone who thinks budweiser really is the “king of beers” is not a connoisseur, nor have they had much if any experience with real beer.

Now with that said, there are a lot of fantastic beers you can buy at the store. You do not need to brew beer to have great beer. The secret is to DRINK LOTS OF BEER. Buy a different kind every time. Over time your palate will grow and you will learn what you like and don’t like and what other people who are considered connoisseurs like and don’t like and for what reasons.

Once you’ve had fair share of good beer you’ll realize right away what’s wrong with budweiser, miller and etc.

Another thing that is complete crap is the “born on dates” on budweiser. Great you know when it was brewed.

Here’s a good thing to know. Good beer. The longer it ages the better it gets. Just like fine wine. Shitty beer? The longer is sits the shittier it gets. Just like shitty wine.

So they came up with this whole marketing campaign to make everyone think the sooner and fresher your beer is the better. Complete fallacy.

Historically some beers were meant to sit a MINIMUM of a year before consumption. In fact IPA’s came around because they could sit and age. They would brew them in England, put them on a ship and by the time they got to india the beer was ready. And at one point that trip took about a year.

MMMM beer. Go buy a sixer from a local micro brewery. Don’t buy budweiser. Don’t buy anything in cans unless you’re floating a river, then that’s the beer to buy. Otherwise it should always be in bottles with pry off caps not the threaded twist off kind. The threads don’t completely seal and you can lose pressure, carbonation and flavor over time. It’s also a sign of convenience and mass production. Real beer is sealed in. Pry it off and smell the sweet goodness.

• Great post gB

• Long but I hope a little less assholish…

• Fantastic post very informative.

• Oh, you guys go get a room already