Thoughts from a 2.5k hour comp chiv vet

• So far I’m enjoying the testing and see a good deal of competitive potential in Mirage, lot’s of welcome changes from chivalry including first hit flinch and health drops on kill which is great to see. Below are my early impressions; I wont really touch on the spells/abilities as I’ve nowhere near come to grips with them just yet, I agree with some of the other posters that certain abilities need a reduction on cooldown, 30 seconds seems too long for any ability that isn’t a highly damaging AOE spell (I want to spam magic carpet more, basically).

Feints: I was reading a fair few of the scary minotaur overhead feints so it’s nice to know some of the chiv skill is transferring here, however the return from the cancelled attack animation to the non-attacking stance leading to the follow up attack is very janky. It’s very reminiscent of a chivalry desync and is bound to make people panic parry even if they read the first feint.

LMB attacks: Right now there doesn’t seem to be any purpose in lmbing your opponent. This had partially been the case in chivalry in competitive duels due to the slow speed of the lmb attack though in team fights it gave you the opportunity to strike multiple opponents in a single swing, due to the long release time and large horizontal path. However in Mirage both the release time and arc of all the weapons are tiny in comparison to chiv’s lmbs. Right now the most effective strategy in team fights is to target switch with overheads or stabs as lmbs are not scary in terms of attack speed and don’t offer much more in terms of horizontal control. Longsword when?

Footspeed: IMO a sprint button is essential for a melee game, it really adds impact and let’s you move with the urgency that certain timed objectives create. However I can see the reason for ditching this mechanic to lean towards a more thoughtful footwork approach that encourages awareness of surroundings similar to the original Halo games. If that’s the case then the footspeed is in dire need of an increase as all the classes right now feel sluggish and I find my pinky finger constantly trying to pick up the pace with shift.

The mage class: The default attack isn’t as satisfying as hitting an enemy with an arrow feels in chiv. I wouldn’t actually know if I had landed my shot if it wasn’t for the hitmarker as the projectile just sort of slaps your opponent. I also feel that not giving this class a melee weapon is a mistake as it encourages ranged classes to just sit back and spam as they mostly did in Chiv as well with the shortbow/light cross bow. This doesn’t feel satisfying for me to play or to play against. A solution I’d suggest would be to give the class a low damage melee weapon and make the magic projectile spear a 5~ second cool down so that the class is still ranged focus. This would also solve the issue regarding the hit satisfaction as impaling feels good.

Other stuff: The default feint to parry keybind and ability slot probably shouldn’t both share Q, I found myself accidentally parrying trying to spam an ability mid strike.

Whilst it made me smile hearing the “rustling my jimmies” line, it felt a little bit forced. This might be just me but I think there’s a fine line with the silly voices that Chivalry toed perfectly, including meme lines like this could be off putting in the long run. The lines should be funny enough that they’re still quotable after years of playing on their own merit rather than relying on existing catch phrases.

Regarding the TO objectives: Please don’t make them all cart pushes. I can’t think of any other comp title where casters are excitedly discussing the number of peasants killed in the first push and that’s part of what made Chivalry’s TO so amazing. It would be great to see similar diversity in Mirage.

Overall; the game is shaping up great and I’m excited to see the finished product.

• Magic carpet spam would be a terrible idea, it’s very anti-fun for the opposition, I actually think magic carpet is pretty good how it is atm.

• I can see where people are coming with the lower cooldown idea, but they really need to stay as-is. Killing one person lowers the CD on every ability by 5 seconds when you pick up the blue orb, something people often forget. Spamming carpet, although that would be super fun for a while, would be really shitty. I feel like abilities are at a really good spot right now, and it’s more the melee that needs tinkering, no pun intended.

The animations are really shit atm and I don’t like how they look at all when feinting, I definitely have those moments where I read the feint, but my muscle memory kicks in because of shitter animations and I end up parrying anyway.

Footspeed is fine to me, I’ve been playing for a few months now so I may just be use to it, I don’t really think it needs a change. Technically sprint is still here, it’s just on auto sprint :)

LMBs are probably not as great because, at the moment, there is no weapon diversity. On Taurant I feel LMBs are actually quite nice, but when I try to LMB on a Vypress I feel like I’m LMBing with a dagger, absolutely no range at all.

I’ve brought up the TO variety thing before, it’s pretty early right now, eventually they’ll have more diverse maps (I hope).

+1

• @Stouty said in Thoughts from a 2.5k hour comp chiv vet:

Regarding the TO objectives: Please don’t make them all cart pushes. I can’t think of any other comp title where casters are excitedly discussing the number of peasants killed in the first push and that’s part of what made Chivalry’s TO so amazing. It would be great to see similar diversity in Mirage.

pls

• @wizardish I wasn’t aware about the CD on kill, that’s very nice and yeah I’m really unfamiliar with all the abilities so don’t take me too seriously on the calls for perma carpet

Technically sprint is still here, it’s just on auto sprint

Except that the “spring speed” is about the same as normal speed on Chivalry and seems to lack any kind of “rushing” feeling that chiv provided nicely. Maybe I’ll get used to it too but right now it’s painful, all the characters need to stop skipping cardio day.

Weapon diversity is a must, though I must say I don’t really like the duel wielding as it’s confusing as to which weapon I’m actually going to hit with - though the “lmb dagger” effect means that it doesn’t really make a difference in regards to the accuracy.

• @Stouty

I agree with that, I thought at first that the alt key would allow you to choose the weapon but it doesn’t seem to be that way.

• @Stouty said in Thoughts from a 2.5k hour comp chiv vet:

Footspeed: IMO a sprint button is essential for a melee game, it really adds impact and let’s you move with the urgency that certain timed objectives create. However I can see the reason for ditching this mechanic to lean towards a more thoughtful footwork approach that encourages awareness of surroundings similar to the original Halo games. If that’s the case then the footspeed is in dire need of an increase as all the classes right now feel sluggish and I find my pinky finger constantly trying to pick up the pace with shift.

At first I thought the same, but after playing for a while and seeing all the different abilities, I don’t think a sprint button is really neccessary. There are a variety of movement skills which can be used to escape and keep the pace up. I think it’s in a very good spot now.

I second this :) Bazar is a fun TO map, but more diversity in map goals would be great! Then again, I’ve only seen one TO map now, so let’s see what awaits us in the future

• After talking with Stouty, we discovered he’d been holding the Shift key; this build of Mirage has Autosprint enabled, which means that holding Shift makes you Walk.

Our options menu will have a toggle for Autosprint for next build.

• @Reithur bit of a misunderstanding there my mistake, I found myself pressing it occasionally but I wasn’t perma walking everywhere.

• said in Thoughts from a 2.5k hour comp chiv vet:

I also feel that not giving this class a melee weapon is a mistake as it encourages ranged classes to just sit back and spam as they mostly did in Chiv as well with the shortbow/light cross bow.

I absolutely agree, and I’ve thought this since I saw the first gameplay of him with no defensive capabilities. And, even more annoying than Chivalry archers, they can teleport/fly away when people get close which makes them worse than Chiv archers IMO.

But then again, you can parry projectiles now, so I guess them being OP at running away balances out a bit. I feel like I’m going to be doing a lot of hunting as the Vypress against Alchemancers.

• Maybe we can give the alchemancer a ability to summon a knife for 10 seconds to defend himself.