Briefly why I didn't enjoy the first 30 minutes of the alpha but a couple hours later couldn't stop playing

• I’ll start off by saying I have a fair amount of hours in Chiv and understand the combat flow. I think that for any game, the first 30 minutes is incredibly important as it often decides if a player keeps playing the game or ditches it. My views are my opinions and what I noticed for my playthrough and it’s not necessarily what all players will be thinking.

• Even coming off of chiv, sword combat wasn’t super intuitive for me. It didn’t take me forever to get the hang of it, but I felt like it took too long to understand. I think part of this was that attack animations from my opponent didn’t feel right. For example the ‘heavy’ guy with the hammer was swinging that thing like there was no tomorrow and when anticipating the strike to come, it felt too quick. I got used to this and adjusted to it but maybe animations could be changed to portray the weight and timing better so players don’t have to ‘get used to it’. Again, I’m talking about my thoughts on the first 30 minutes.

• Not sure if anything can be done about this as it just comes with the genre, but I’ll list it anyways. I felt a bit overwhelmed with all of the different classes and tons of abilities happening everywhere. I don’t think that the current system is bad, but new players will feel overwhelmed by it all. Again, I know this comes with the genre. If you figure out a way to improve on this, it would be huge.

• And the big one: Getting rekt. This ties into the last point more than anything for me. There was so much going on and I didn’t know how to properly use abilities and form combos out of the different abilities and whatnot so I just got destroyed without really know why. It also doesn’t help that I was a couple days late to the alpha. My proposed change for the actual release of the game is to setup beginner only servers or a matchmaking system that is heavily encouraged so that new players will play other new players and you all can suck together. This will give players time to experiment with the different mechanics while not feeling as overwhelmed.

This was how my first ~30 minutes felt. It didn’t take me too long to get into the groove and start really loving the game, but as you guys are probably aware, the majority of players just wont play if it feels overwhelming or hard. If they can’t have fun early on then they will put the game down and be done with it forever.

So I hope that this information is useful because I know as developers you guys are completely stripped of knowing what it’s like to play the game for the first time and you have been playing it so much over the dev cycle that it can be pretty hard to step back and see the game like new players would. I look forward to see where this game goes because I think it’s really something special! Any additional questions just ask below.

• @cking116 I have moved this to the Closed Alpha section; as per your NDA, do not post feedback outside of the Closed Alpha Section.

We absolutely intend to have Matchmaking implemented and are working on a tutorial, but neither are ready at the moment.

• Developer

Really appreciate the feedback! The new player experience is something we’ve wrestled with for a while, and it’s a hard balance to strike, so we really appreciate your input.

• Developer

Great feedback- alot of the confusion I hope to sort out with audio- audio is post production and tends to lag behind the game a bit, but as the sound guy I can say that we are working hard to help the sound catch up and help cue the player as to what is going on.

• @cking116 said

• Not sure if anything can be done about this as it just comes with the genre, but I’ll list it anyways. I felt a bit overwhelmed with all of the different classes and tons of abilities happening everywhere. I don’t think that the current system is bad, but new players will feel overwhelmed by it all. Again, I know this comes with the genre. If you figure out a way to improve on this, it would be huge.

Small prediction: By release, all except the first row of abilities are going to be locked, so that newer players only have to deal with 3 of them at first. That’s what they did with Chivalry’s vast arsenal of weapons.

• Not sure if this is related to what your mentioning - but I always have that feel that the attacks are slow and very readable, but then suddenly hit unexpectedly. I feel this is probably mostly to do with animations and windup/release times. In Chiv, although windup and release vary, obviously, almost all weapons feel really smooth IMO. In this game it goes from feeling like you’re just cruising say 50-60 miles and suddenly you’re going 100 mph or something ridiculous. I’ve had this feeling from day 1, and still have it now after almost 100 hours. The timings or animations in this game just aren’t smooth, to be blunt. I don’t really know how else to describe this feeling, it’s kind of just moderate to super fast.

• @wizardish said in Briefly why I didn't enjoy the first 30 minutes of the alpha but a couple hours later couldn't stop playing:

Not sure if this is related to what your mentioning - but I always have that feel that the attacks are slow and very readable, but then suddenly hit unexpectedly.

+1