[MAA] Dodging

• Dodge Priority
    When you dodge while running forward you will dash forward which is great. However when you are pressing both “W” to advance the attack, and “A” or “D” to side step the dodge still prioritizes “W” and dashes forward. A simple tweak so the dodge will instead prioritize the direction of side movements over the direction of forward movement will increase MAA survivability. It would also make the dodge movements feel more natural.

Current:
    W = Forward Dash
    D = Right Dash
    A = Left Dash
    W + A = Forward Dash
    W + D = Forward Dash

Tweak:
    W = Forward Dash
    D = Right Dash
    A = Left Dash
    W + A = Left Dash
    W + D = Right Dash

"Sprint" Dodging
    The MAA is versatile because of dodging, yet when you are sprinting dodging comes as a slap to the face rather then a smooth transition. Dodging shouldn’t interrupt sprinting, that way a MAA could come at you fast and hard, dodge from your main attack and get into your guard. This is what the class is made for after all.

Thank you for taking time to read my suggestion!

• I like this, I can see how that could be frustrating to some people who are thinking “jump sideways” and end up going right into the sharp end of the enemy’s sword.

This would of course be easier to remedy using the “Press V to dodge” mechanic but for people like myself who are used to fighting games would much prefer the double-tap over any button.

I suppose for now the best thing to do is practice getting that side jump down.
    SlCRfTmBSGs

• I actually use “V” however I have rebound it to my mouse thumb button. It would still have the same effect on the survivability of the class though. In my opinion it would feel much more natural as you are trying to side step them anyway and as a class whose big sell is “agility” this tweak just seems like the proper course of action.

• I would prefer this as well, and I use a single button dodge.

• I agree with this tweak completely.

• But then I’d have to give up on my dream of diagonal dodges :(

• In a way diagonal dodges are already in the game, with this tweak anyway.

• @Ratkoon:

In a way diagonal dodges are already in the game, with this tweak anyway.

How so? With this change you would merely dodge to the side while moving diagonally, rather than dodging forward. I would like to be able to actually dodge in the direction I’m moving, including diagonally.

• I get what your saying, I guess for me it’s “close enough”.

• Not entirely relevant to this idea, but being able to disable the “double-tap” to dodge would be really nice for those of us that don’t use it. I’ve dodged accidentally way too many times due to it.

• Yes diagonal dodges would be fantastic, or just dodging where ever you are moving to have a full control dodge. It feels like I’m using a 4 directional pad with the MAA to dodge

• Diagonal dashes should always prioritise towards the direction of movement, not forwards. Couldn’t agree more. A lot of players don’t seem to get you can side strafe faster by moving diagonally whilst working the mouse and the state of maa dodge isn’t helping things.

Though the OP has me a little confused. Why do you have “s” for right dash?

• @Strudel:

Though the OP has me a little confused. Why do you have “s” for right dash?

Was a typo, fixed it. Honestly dodging should be fluid and give the MAA an upper hand to those heavier classes but yet I find the dodges are hardly ever used as they are bulky and most of them just get you killed rather then saving your life. I feel like I have no control over the dodging mechanic and honestly I don’t even use it because of this.

• I stopped using it after a while, but ever since I bound the dodge key to alt it’s been a breeze. After a long session of maa I can barely stand playing other classes as I feel insanely vulnerable without my dash ability.

• @Strudel:

I stopped using it after a while, but ever since I bound the dodge key to alt it’s been a breeze. After a long session of maa I can barely stand playing other classes as I feel insanely vulnerable without my dash ability.

I bound it to my thumb button but I still find it a hassle to use due to the dodge priority for hotkey users like us. Which is why I did the original post.

• you would still be able to dodge diagonally via the forward dodge, which is in my opinion even more intuitive.

at the moment the system is VERY counterintuitive. in EVERY game which has dodge mechanic in it (i.e. all the unreal tournament games, guild wars 2 etc.) its implemented in the way that you dodge in the direction of the button you are pressing, no matter which button you have presed BEFORE you dodged. which even sounds very logical.

another thing which i already mentioned: if you dodge 2 times in rapid succession, the second dodge makes you loose the same amount of stamina than the first one, but is moving you only a trickle amount than the first one.

thy one-dodge-button in its current state is bugged and not implemented properly and should be fixed asap imho.

• I wholeheartedly agree that dodging should be made more fluid and similar to Unreal Tournament dodging. For example, I would like to be able to dodge left while walking forward by double-tapping left while still holding the forward key.

Additionally, I think that sprint should not be interrupted by dodging (so that you continue to sprint after a dodge).

• @Alpha:

Additionally, I think that sprint should not be interrupted by dodging (so that you continue to sprint after a dodge).

I agree completely, i added this to the OP.