Parrying big weapons with small weapons

• Think about it, a crazed berserker with a massive claymore is charging in shouting “FREEEDOOOM!!!”, swings his huge heavy piece of metal toward an archer……who then completely blocks the attack with a tiny goddamn dagger with zero effort.

Is it just me or is the above scenario kinda ridiculous? Now I’m not saying 1-handers shouldn’t be able to block 2-handers at all because yea i get it, balance and stuff, but COME ON. At least make it so you feel a difference between blocking a hit from a 2-handed maul and blocking a hit from a dagger. The guy who blocks should at least be thrown back a bit, and/or lose more stamina depending on the weight of the weapon that hits him. Dunno, I’m far from an expert when it comes to game design and balancing, i just feel that something should be changed, what do you guys think?

• Yeah uhm. Everyone would play knight/vanguard due to the fact that they can ignore small one handed weapons block.

• @MinorityMats:

Yeah uhm. Everyone would play knight/vanguard due to the fact that they can ignore small one handed weapons block.

Did I say they should “ignore” the block? I believe i wrote quite the opposite, they shouldn’t ignore it. But hey if a weapon swings slower and heavier, it’s only logical it should take longer to recover from getting hit by it, don’t you think? Also Maa’s can dodge and/or use a shield and archers are supposed to get their ass handed to them in melee so what’s the problem?

• This is interesting, as I sometimes play archer and this happens.
    Is it “harder” to parry with smaller weapons? If not I think it should be against the very large weapons, especially the maul.

But remember, it is not a “block” persay. It is a parry. Although I admit it is strange parrying a maul with a dagger.

• @Mashuu:

This is interesting, as I sometimes play archer and this happens.
    Is it “harder” to parry with smaller weapons? If not I think it should be against the very large weapons, especially the maul.

But remember, it is not a “block” persay. It is a parry. Although I admit it is strange parrying a maul with a dagger.

A parry is knocking the weapon away(not blocking), doesn’t matter about the size if the attacker’s momentum is used against it, that is the thought behind it in my opinion at least.

• It is definitely more difficult to parry with a small weapon. The timing has to be more precise. The aiming with the crosshair also has to be more precise.

• Small weapons are already at a disadvantage when parrying larger ones. You still receive knockback when you parry, which helps keep a range gap, which is generally a disadvantage for the smaller weapon. Smaller weapons also lose more stamina when parrying larger ones.

• You can parry a bigger weapon with a smaller weapon in real life depending on the situation, even with your hands. Parrying with a dagger isn’t unheard of, in the middle ages some swordsmen used a “parrying dagger” in their other hand to parry and then attack with the sword. Of course it wouldn’t be as easy as clicking a button either. but as goat said they still get a disadvantage.