Teamplay not promoted by game

• Hey guys

Absolutely loving the game, especially the awesome objective mode. However, I’m getting really frustrated with other players - in over 20 hours of play I’ve seen less than 10 minutes of good team work. No matter how much I try to get people to form up as a group via chat messages, people just keep charging off in dribs and drabs. As a result, it’s very rare for attacking teams to win - the defenders all group near their spawn (and thus objective) and easily pick off the smaller groups of attacks. I’d say my winning percentage as offence is less than 1 in 5 matches.

While the incredibly low IQ of many online gamers is partly to blame, other games reward players for teamplay by giving them points for team-based actions, which in turn go towards unlocking goodies. Chivalry has no such system. As far as I can tell, doing the objectives don’t reward many (or any?) extra points, and all weapons are purely unlocked by kills.

I’m hoping the players start showing teamwork, but so far so bad. Do the developers have any plans to add features that reward teamwork? If not, I’m worried this game will remain one big deathmatch, no matter what the mode.

• Doing the objectives does reward points. You gain points for pushing, killing enemies around the pushable, burning things with torches, killing peasants, etc…

The spawn thing is being looked at. I suspect defenders might be spawning too quickly.

• @Andrew:

Doing the objectives does reward points. You gain points for pushing, killing enemies around the pushable, burning things with torches, killing peasants, etc…

The spawn thing is being looked at. I suspect defenders might be spawning too quickly.

I do think defenders are spawning too quickly. Especially on the “kill the king” part and such where they spawn right next to the target objective.

But it is a new game, and many are treating it like COD with swords. Just running head long everywhere.

No one uses a mic either, and I have not seen a proper knightly shield wall, with vanguards poking through from behind at all.

The game is pretty balanced, but a lot of people try to lone wolf. I think this is due to the only way to unlock things is to KILL things. So they ignore the objective and focus on kills.

• Teamplay only shines in 4v4 - 6v6 matches, but every server I find is always freakin 24 or 32 player TO. Anything bigger looks like a zerg-fest to me.

• Improvements for teamwork could be made but in the end there is only so much you can do. Take BF3 for example. The rewards for playing the objectives and working with your team are far greater than the rewards for just getting kills. But people still ignore objectives and do there own thing.

• Hey Gunslinger we played in a game together yesturday… your dammed good i died heaps to you almost exclusively although I havent played as many hours…

I had one game whereby we had really good teamwork, I was king and the whole team protected me, you got close to getting me once but taken out from behind :)

I think that just fighting is so much fun at the moment that is waht people are focused on rather than objectvies… it will change. Some of the attacking objectives are stupidly hard as well and the game is distinctly in favour of the defenders IMO

• It’s not the fact the teamplay isn’t promoted, but more of how it’s so new and players are fascinated by it that they tend to get distracted and slash happy. There will always be players who just can’t grasp the concept of working with other players to accomplish a goal, but hopefully they will stick to TDM or FFA.

• Defenders are not spawning too quickly, they’re spawning too close. Longer respawns aren’t fun when you can just as easily move the spawn further back and have the same effect - travel time replaces spawn time. Additionally, right now with how close a lot of the defending team spawns are, there are areas where archers are immune to melee attackers because they can camp inside of spawn while still defending objectives. The biggest offenders here are hillside treb #3 and stoneshill gate where archers have very clear shots on the objectives without any risk of being engaged in melee, forcing you to employ counter-archers. The gate on stoneshill needs to be looked at very seriously I feel. Something big needs to happen here, as the attacking team needs to be very stacked for you to ever take the gate, let alone kill the king (another huge spawn imbalance area, because defenders will constantly spawn right on top of the king)

• ^ I agree with everything you said there, except this

@SlyGoat:

Defenders are not spawning too quickly, they’re spawning too close. Longer respawns aren’t fun when you can just as easily move the spawn further back and have the same effect - travel time replaces spawn time.

I’d much rather take longer to respawn than have a longer travel time, since that means 5 seconds of boring walking is replaced with 5 seconds of watching my teammates battle, which can sometimes be fun to watch.

• @RushSecond:

^ I agree with everything you said there, except this

@SlyGoat:

Defenders are not spawning too quickly, they’re spawning too close. Longer respawns aren’t fun when you can just as easily move the spawn further back and have the same effect - travel time replaces spawn time.

I’d much rather take longer to respawn than have a longer travel time, since that means 5 seconds of boring walking is replaced with 5 seconds of watching my teammates battle, which can sometimes be fun to watch.

But longer distances from spawn to objective also promote diverging routes, flanking, backstabbing, scouting, etc.

• I don’t know how they would make it a longer travel distance for the defenders on the King objective, they spawn right under in the corner. For that, they would have to make it be a longer spawn time, unless they wanted to add to the map.

• One of the harder parts of offence is that people don’t group up to push. Instead there’s a constant stream of attackers that get cut down as soon as they reach the front line. I’d suggest moving the attacker spawn closer to the objective, but lengthening the spawn time. This way the average time it takes to respawn and reach the objective is the same, but now team mates are grouped together.

• Yeah, that one would just require longer spawns.

• I actually saw people using team work last night. Staying in packs, using knights to protect the massed archers or the king, using spearmen to hold off the chokepoints. I think once everyone settles down a bit and is actually playing to win they will start to learn what tactics to use. You also can’t really expect your average gamer to think there is anything more to it than rushing in swinging. They apparently forgot about the scene in Gladiator where they came up with a strategy before fighting the chariots.

• I think wave respawn could fix some of these problems.

• Interesting - I’ve personally made several objectives and never noticed any reward for doing so. A slightly longer respawn time could help form bigger groups…

• Well first off, I think its impossible to get most people to care about random game #335664454 happening at the time, and you’ll always have people who want to get in and flail around randomly.

There could be some more encouragement for the points though, possibly adding more UI bells and whistles for it. I think right now, at least, I don’t really notice when I’m getting team points. I think bringing a message up or something when you do get them might help.

One thing that might help is a ‘defense/offense’ point bonus when you kill someone near an objective. Even put an icon up next to their name in kill spam like

[shield icon] Defender_name [sword] Attacker_name

Another thing might be a “Guard Duty” tick for some points for just standing around near the cart, hell maybe make it some ridiculous achievement with a battered rusty helm as a reward, stand guard on the cart for 50 hours.

Any kind of indication that you got points for doing a TO thing might help. I know some ctf games have done higher objective point splits too, like 10 for a kill 100 for a flag capture, that sort of thing.

• @RushSecond:

^ I agree with everything you said there, except this

@SlyGoat:

agreed, id much rather be looking at the battlefield, taking screenshots, whatever than running from a spawn

and yeah they give you points for the objectives but its nothing in comparison to just killing. Really though theres no purpose to getting ranks or whatever. Thats how games used to be and people used to just play to win. You didnt need freaking 342432 CoD adhd things popping up everytime you did something