High ping on a server with a large number of players

• Good afternoon. There is a problem on a dedicated server. Even with a small number of players ping is higher than on the servers of other games on the same host.
    I’m 40, and other games on the servers 25. Ping is doubled at 30 players. I’m afraid to imagine what will be at 64 players. Port 1 Gbit / s without restrictions
    What settings do I need to specify for optimal performance 64 people? Help please.

And another question is a little off topic. Not working for me bind a console command to a key. I write to the consolesetbind v say test. It does not work. I also tried to edit Documents\My Games\Chivalry Medieval Warfare\UDKGame\Config\UDKInput.ini. Adds a string```
    Bindings=(Name=“V”,Command=“say test”)

• Ping in-game is determine by not only by the network but also by server performance. The longer the frame time, the higher the pings will be – so most likely it’s your CPU not being able to keep up. What CPU is your dedicated server running?

Our official servers and our own dedicated are using E3-1270’s and handle 32 players at 30FPS fine.
    It is not able to handle 64 players at 30FPS… the only processor I know for sure that can handle 64 players atm is the i7-39##k that MDK posted in his thread.

• I am using Xeon E3-1220. With 30 players server consumes only 25%. Where can I see FPS server?

• @b3h47pte:

the only processor I know for sure that can handle 64 players atm is the i7-39##k that MDK posted in his thread.

4x3,4Ghz (mentioned Xeon) are not enough to properly host a 64 slot server for your game?!

Where’s the optimization at all in your game?!

I wonder what you people have been doing all day. I mean, it’s not so important if it runs like crap, we still got the singleplayer. Oh, wait…It’s a multiplayer game in the first place!

Servers with these CPUs (i7-39##k) cost 100+ EUR/month here and are usually able to host a ton of gameservers or atleast more than one single 64 slot server - even for demanding games.

To be honest, I don’t really believe you with that. I managed to host a 16 slot server on a virtual server with 1x2Ghz and 1GB RAM. You are really telling me that a 64 slot server needs the mentioned CPU?! Holy crap…

• And another question is a little off topic. Not working for me bind a console command to a key. I write to the consolesetbind v say test. It does not work. I also tried to edit Documents\My Games\Chivalry Medieval Warfare\UDKGame\Config\UDKInput.ini. Adds a string```
    Bindings=(Name=“V”,Command=“say test”)

A small correction. On the server works bind, the main menu does not work. I want to make a hot key for the server.```
    Setbind L open ip:port

• x2cp - you realize this is an independent developer, using the unreal development kit, right? The limitations imposed are, to my knowledge, set in place moreso by Epic than Torn Banner.

Furthermore, they don’t even suggest using more than 32 players on their map rotations. I understand if you’re wanting to run a 64 man server, but your expectations should be realistic; I don’t buy a mini cooper and gripe when it can’t fit the entirety of my extended family.

• @Han:

Furthermore, they don’t even suggest using more than 32 players on their map rotations. I understand if you’re wanting to run a 64 man server, but your expectations should be realistic; I don’t buy a mini cooper and gripe when it can’t fit the entirety of my extended family.

Sorry, you’re right. How could I even think of running one 64 slot server on a low-end 3,4Ghz quad core. It’s not like such servers host a shitload of slots for other games - even 64 slot servers. People should rather calculate with 8-cores at 5Ghz atleast.

Silly me.

I know that your extended family might not fit in a mini cooper. So in Chivalry’s case, you’d take atleast a Boing 747 to take them all with you.

• Developer

As far as settings, see: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=3725

• x2cp - you missed my point. I never said your 3.4ghz quad-core was lowly, nor did I imply that it was, only that you’re running the game outside of its designed limitations. The maps that were included at launch have suggested sizes, and this is one of the reasons; shit happens when you introduce variables that the game was not designed to support.

I’ve been running four servers in addition to the normal load on my colocated box, two 14 slot dueling servers, a 24 man team objective, and a private clan server, and haven’t had any issues.

I can only speculate since I’m not part of the team, but it makes sense that the server might have issues rendering 30fps for each of the 64 players regardless of which way you look at it. It’s a lot of data to crunch.

tl;dr you’re trying to do something no one said would be possible in the first place, YMMV.

• I thought Arma 2 was bad in terms of optimizations, but this engine takes the cake. For every player above 30 my server gets +10 ping. It’s a 1230 (3.2Ghz) and it’s only running one server, so I know its due to the engine/software rather than hardware. If this doesn’t get optimized, don’t expect people to be renting servers. This is just insane how un-optimized this is.

• @rinaun:

I thought Arma 2 was bad in terms of optimizations, but this engine takes the cake. For every player above 30 my server gets +10 ping. It’s a 1230 (3.2Ghz) and it’s only running one server, so I know its due to the engine/software rather than hardware. If this doesn’t get optimized, don’t expect people to be renting servers. This is just insane how un-optimized this is.

I had to laugh, because I also thought about ArmA 2 and DayZ when I heard of the optimization here. :P

• Developer

@CrustaceanSoup:

As far as settings, see: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=3725

• i agree chiv needs some major optimizing, we are renting 3 servers, a 40 slot, a 32 slot and a 10. the 40 at capacity is just about unplayable, pings for all rise well above 100, the 32 does well and the 10 naturally runs perfect.

• Developer

@dirtyjob:

i agree chiv needs some major optimizing, we are renting 3 servers, a 40 slot, a 32 slot and a 10. the 40 at capacity is just about unplayable, pings for all rise well above 100, the 32 does well and the 10 naturally runs perfect.

Do you have any of the settings from that thread I just linked to twice enabled? Servers with greater than 32 slots will probably need at least one of them flipped on.

• yes