Why do people play as archer?

• Some games I go on, nearly half of the people in the teams are playing as archer. I struggle to understand this. Chivalry has one of the most amazing and visceral melee combat systems I’ve ever found in any game.
    The archery on the other hand seems like something that was tacked on as an afterthought and (IMO) feels deeply unsatisfying compared to the melee.

Does anybody else feel this way?

It might just be because I played War of the Roses before this. While the melee in that is a bit of a mess, the archery is one of the few things that I feel is done better than chivalry

• In its current state, I would almost go as far as to say the game would be better off if the archer class didn’t exist at all. Almost. I personally really enjoy the shortbow, so I’d be sad to see it go. But in general, archers right now really detract from the game more than they add to it, being just an annoyance to play against (or even to play with, if your team’s archers tend to shoot you in the back of the head, as many do) and not very deep or interesting to play as.

As to why people play as archer… I most often see teams turn into a majority of archers when that team is being severely shut out in objective mode. Cannot tell you the amount of times I’ve seen the entire attacking team just give up and camp inside of their spawn as archers on the first stage of an objective map. That, or when the enemy team has a lot of archers, and people get frustrated and swap to archer themselves to try to kill the enemy archers.

Whenever I talk about archers in Chivalry I feel like I’m being extremely negative, but I can’t help it. I love practically everything else about the game, so to have this one very large aspect of it be so disappointing hits pretty hard.

• What you have to understand is that some people just enjoy archery, reguardless of what they are playing. I have a friend that is an archer in everything we play, MO, M&B, AOC, Chiv.

I dont always play it, but the reason I do I guess, is the fact that I use it irl. Archery is fun in life too. I always think that if I lived in that time I would rather use archery. Sounds silly i guess, I equate it to bringing a knife to a gun fight, lol.

Role Playing aside, archers are still good at melee in this game depending on the player skill. That adds to the fun aswell.

To each their own i guess. :)

Edit: Wanted to add one more reason as well. Some people are old like me and just cant keep up with the twitching younger people! hah. Not that I can’t hold my own in melee, but its a lot more relaxing than a constant melee fight. My 2 cents.

• Bleah i hate it! it’s so annoying to join a game and see there is more archers than the other 3 classes put together & you feel like you are the only one pushing the battering ram! :x

• I completely disagree. I find using the archer completely satisfying to use. The learning curve is pretty steep and most players can’t seem to use archers effectively.

While at the same time you also get to hold a melee weapon so you can enjoy that aspect of the game as well.

Asking why someone would play archer is about the same as asking why they would play any other class.

• So I can get a free kill.

• @Orcworm:

So I can get a free kill.

True, archers that don’t know how to play are pretty much a free kill lol. I play as an archer and often run up to the enemy archers and kill them with my melee weapon.

• @SlyGoat:

In its current state, I would almost go as far as to say the game would be better off if the archer class didn’t exist at all. Almost. I personally really enjoy the shortbow, so I’d be sad to see it go. But in general, archers right now really detract from the game more than they add to it, being just an annoyance to play against (or even to play with, if your team’s archers tend to shoot you in the back of the head, as many do) and not very deep or interesting to play as.

As to why people play as archer… I most often see teams turn into a majority of archers when that team is being severely shut out in objective mode. Cannot tell you the amount of times I’ve seen the entire attacking team just give up and camp inside of their spawn as archers on the first stage of an objective map. That, or when the enemy team has a lot of archers, and people get frustrated and swap to archer themselves to try to kill the enemy archers.

Whenever I talk about archers in Chivalry I feel like I’m being extremely negative, but I can’t help it. I love practically everything else about the game, so to have this one very large aspect of it be so disappointing hits pretty hard.

A wise answer.
    I cant tell if the archery is actually weak, or whether it seems that way in comparison to the other aspects of the game. It certainly feels underdeveloped to me.

The melee is a complex and exciting system involving blocks, feints, multiple attacks , ducking under swings, need for footwork etc.
    The archery is just aim the crosshair over something (maybe adjust for distance a bit) , click. It almost feels like some kind of mini game.

• 2 reasons I play archer: because it makes idiots mad and because it takes skill. But mostly to make noobs mad. Many sweet ragequits to be had from people who don’t know what cover is or that running in open ground against a good archer without a shield is a death sentence. Otherwise there is the footwork, ducking under swings, prefiring, using teammates, and high ground that makes archery so complex. Throw away that spam hammer, no need to play that silly reflex block and slash minigame. You are an archer now. A master of all forms of combat. Only the greatest will live to see your dagger, the rest shall fall out of the server with arrows stuck in their backs and their sword sheathed, an honourless death, befitting of their ability and mental fortitude.

• I’ve never lost against a team that started stacking archers, especially if they are the attackers on a TO

• It takes skill and, like fists, if you miss you’re pretty much dead.

If you know what you’re doing you can win against a team stacked with archers easily, and if you’re getting owned by a particular archer then really, you have to credit them for being good rather than anything else, just with any of the other three. I enjoy the class a lot; sometimes I’m great and sometimes I’m awful (and I love the heavy bow and crossbow) but I certainly think it’s valid and should stay as is.

• I don’t have any problem with the archers. Regardless of if it is fun to play as an archer (I haven’t found the fun yet), I enjoy playing on a team with, or against them. They definitely pose their own challenges in dealing with them. They add to the complexity of a medieval battlefield.

• But if they were no archers, we would not have the satisfaction lopping there heads off! Or getting behind them, unawares, and sticking you weapon of choice right up there #@/£]?. It’s jolly good fun. :P

On a serious note tho. I dislike it when any class becomes more prominent on a server. Be it archer, knight or whatever. It just makes the game boring.

• 4kills there end 8-)

• I find it extremely satisfying whenever I land a shot. I think that’s the only reason I play archers, they aren’t very good.

• You can’t remove the archer class, there would be no carnage when you sneak behind the main lines and go ballistic with a sword.

• @SlyGoat:

In its current state, I would almost go as far as to say the game would be better off if the archer class didn’t exist at all. Almost. I personally really enjoy the shortbow, so I’d be sad to see it go. But in general, archers right now really detract from the game more than they add to it, being just an annoyance to play against (or even to play with, if your team’s archers tend to shoot you in the back of the head, as many do) and not very deep or interesting to play as.

I agree with you! It is espcially bad trying to go kill the king when there are 8 archers shooting a ton of arrows at you! Or battlegrounds becomes and archer fest and it is annoying. IDK what can be done about it, maybe limited number of archers per team? Or maybe certain phases(like in the throne room) can’t have archers?

Realistically, archers in Medieval times wouldn’t fire when the two armies were engaged in sword combat, because they didn’t want kill friendlies. So it would be more realistic to ditch the archer! Or ditch them in certain phases of maps.

• More importantly, what is so fun about playing a player versus player game where the majority of the time your “opponents” are ignoring you?

• I personally think that archers bring a certain essence to the battlefield, they can provide cover as you’re advancing, especially on Hillside. I actually love playing with the javelin, it’s one of my favorite weapons on the game, I just feel like a Spartan, kill two guys with stabs and bashes then turn around and BOOM! a javelin to another Mason’s head!

• @SlyGoat:

In its current state, I would almost go as far as to say the game would be better off if the archer class didn’t exist at all. Almost.

I couldnt agree more. You have people in game that will say ‘well I have x amount of kills this game and ive been an archer the entire time’. Im sorry but if you were any of the melee classes you would have many more kills and assists if you played at a comparable level.

I dont really know what they should do. The archers suck and are boring and people still want to play them too much. What happens when they make archers better? 2/3rd of your attacking team spawns as archers then?

Shooting anything is like by far the least unique point of this game. The melee combat is what makes it different and gives it a lot of potential. If you wanna shoot stuff there are much better games to play for that.