Why do people play as archer?

• Read more xD

1. Note I said FEW, I don’t really consider CS, Battlefield, Call of Duty “ranged combat” they are more Shooter’s, ranged is really those you consider as a “class” type, if you class them as that fine, but in general there are VERY Few First Person RANGED (not shooting) games.

2. You say they lack skill for melee combat, that is your opinion as I said, the fact is most Do Not lack melee combat, I’m just stating what I see on a daily basis and have since playing Age of Chivalry from Steam release.

3. Wouldn’t really say aiming is the only skill you need, you need to do pretty much everything a melee goes through, you’re always ganna be on your toes, just you’re more likely to be on them less than a melee xD

4. Seems I missed a bit from my post there, I’m simply saying it depends on the players playstyle, whether it is shooting from close range or short range, there is always ganna be a fear of retaliation, you get it more in close range because there is little distance between you and enemies.

At long range sure, you’re not ganna be “at risk” as much as you are, but look at melee, you can hit with the tip, you’re still using “ranged” attacks from it by not being Literally next to the person, you have different forms, so do we, I’m just simply stating that I like to shotgun (more so because it pisses people off)

5. Its not a 1 way relationship, you have allies (unless you don’t like playing with other people), You don’t have to take damage if you know how to play with a shield, as said those who are always alert and watch playstyles of others will keep their shield in the direction of archers, Shields don’t offer 100% protection no, but Feet shots don’t always work currently, the visual size of them isn’t the EXACT protection size of them.

It’s not boring if you know what you are doing, if you don’t know what you’re doing, you’ll simply think “ugh, another archer, fuck this” and then probably get killed by them or something else, some when they see archers they think “OOO easy kill”, your thought situation can change the way you act.

6. Wouldn’t say it takes 1 successful block to break a combo in the current system, as said you get punished more for blocking than repeatedly spamming, but thats your opinion so fair enough.

Intimate interactions, sure, can be fun, but you leave yourself open more, your pattern emerges and you make yourself a target, as for the “intimate” interactions for melee vs ranged, there is some, we love you away from us, and you love us when you’re up close and personal, we hate you vice versa.

Different relationships, I guess kinda try :p

7. I jump out onto rocks and use them as an advantage, or over cliffs etc and land behind you, i’m not saying peekaboo, but melee do it more than us :P

8. You didn’t really explain combat sprinting,I know different forms and different tactics that exist, hell I was one in Age of Chivalry to make a few to piss people off, so don’t be thinking I have no idea.

I should of asked you to elaborate more on it since you didn’t give any information xD

9. I jump over arrows and bolts all the time, I’m widely known for it in AoC:

Example:

Me vs Another Xbow, We both take our shots, missing, we both attempt to reload at the same time, it’s a case of whoever finishes first gets the kill, if they finish a split second I cancel, switch to sword and jump over bolt / Millisecond i switch to my sword jump to the left, switch back and fire, usually landing the kill / repeating.

When bunnyhop reload was in I did it then, when that was removed, I did the above.

I do the same thing in chivalry, just I’m able to with the bow too, So i jump over arrows quite consistently, Just as I jump over or crouch under blades, (I think I mentioned that the animation isn’t clear on it) so as the tips say, it’s a risk vs reward for jumping / crouching vs swings, (should include projectiles too)

10. I circle enemies with firing my bow or my xbow, it’s still ranged combat, melee is melee true, circling with a bow / xbow is VERY risky but can pay off xD

12. Kinda true, but I still stand by LR, SR, MR, being attack types, just to piss people off :)

13. Not archery no, but I’m responding to it because we don’t have the block on ranged weapons (Which we should), if we did, we probably could have timed blocks using it in a melee sense not ranged sense.

14. again, another that should be in but isn’t atm otherwise we could still do that to which you say we only do “2” moves, Archery is bows sure, but it’s also defined as a Ranged Class, just like your melee classes are MAA, Vanguard, Knight, so thats why i put it as a tactic :p

15. Feinting Yes, just not useful lol.

16 & 17, I should of just left these, for some reason I decided to answer them thinking class in general

18. Glad you agree xD

19. True, no choice after spawning compared to melee, maybe the arrows will be able to catch fire like AoC? who knows? I was just stating the types really, I do always forget about the damage types on different classes other than the arrow types though, mainly cause I rely on ranged more than melee :p

20. What were you referring to? backing up to heal? if so we do that too, we’re just more likely to run away than you are lol.

21. No no, I’m on about fighting with my bow, all within a short distance of me, was a case of evading hits and taking shots, as I referred to earlier risk vs reward and a ton of luck :)

23. Guess not at ranged, again more of a Class in general thing ( kinda seem to answer with something even if I knew it wasn’t) lol.

24. Jump Attacks, you didn’t specify what type, you can jump and shoot over shields though, just as you can jump from high up and shoot someone right below you (hill side fun), so yes at ranged xD

25. I know you were referring to that, I miss my shot on purpose to force them to slow down by using their shield yeah, I generally don’t miss it on the person behind him though, so it’s still more of a tactic for multiple opponents, you’re lowering 1 to give you a better chance than taking them both on full hp. xD

26. I have a good knowledge of the combat system, so do my friends and clan mates lol, I’ve played all classes, I may think Melee is boring, you obviously do not, that’s your opinion yeah, I’ll play it when its required, I’m not a “pro” at it but I’m decent, I just do better at Ranged and I have more fun at it (especially pissing people off who want them removed)

I say the beta fighting system because that is what it feels like, it lacks in some aspects to what AoC did well in and possibly some of those things will come into Chivalry in time, just like AoC could of taken some features from chivalry to make it better, a game will never be perfect, it’s just my view on the system currently xD

Ranged is relaxing most of the time I have to agree :)

I don’t mean to sound offensive in any of my responses but unless you’ve played with me in both AoC and Chivalry (or know my mind / thoughts) then you have little rights to say what I have no idea in.

We choose Archer because we want to, whether a player lacks skills or not in melee is of no value to this, I could think that the only reason you play melee is cause you suck at ranged, but the real reason is most likely because you enjoy being up close and personal.

Just a difference of opinion, not an actual fact xD

Edit:

Off to bed so i’ll probably correct myself in some things later, I can’t be bothered to read through my post :P

• As with War of the Roses, there’s a very proven rule: If a team consists heavily of archers, they will loose an objective game.
    Happens every time.
    They just hang back too much, then run like big assed birds if someone comes near them. Now, considering I do archery in real life this might seem odd, but I find the mindset of the player who shoots from afar, then attempts to sprint away to avoid any melee, well, extremely gutless and cowardly, tbh.

I came across an archer today I ran up on, and the player, like a true man, drew his steel and we fought. He was well skilled at hitting fast and getting inside range, and won the day. I gave him a very repectful gf comment.

I would not see archery removed from the game, but I sure would like to see a way to obligate them to be more committed to the battle, rather than just hovering around like parasitic mosquitos.
    Actuallly, I’ll try to play more as archer next games so as not to be biased, but as it stands I dont remember them being this annoying in the Chiv mod. They seemed to be less accurate, which led to more rewarding melee duels without an arrow from nowhere ruining everything.

• I like archery because it is a different type of challenge.
    It needs to be buffed though. As someone else said, as long as you have equal skill level, being another class is almost always more useful and will net you more kills/damage.

• @Saraski:

Man, you just don’t get my point. I’m not talking about the archer class. I’m talking about ranged combat as a game mechanic. I’m saying that there are very few moves that you can use in ranged combat compared to melee. To illustrate I gave the examples, to which you reply that you can do them with an archer, mainly by going into melee. But then it’s just that - melee combat, not ranged.

And trust me, I know all about exploiting bugs in AoC (jumping to avoid damage), I’ve got nearly 800 hours clocked and that’s only since they introduced stats on Steam. We are not talking about AoC here.

Further example of my main point below.

Ranged combat example:
    (vs melee)
    shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot, backpedal, shoot, backpedal, shoot, go into melee
    (vs ranged)
    shoot, strafe, shoot, strafe, shoot, jump, shoot, strafe, strafe, shoot, strafe…

Melee combat exmple:
    swing, block, strafe, jump and overhead, block, circle enemy, stab the side, block, feint, stab, dodge, sprint, overhead, block, miss + combo swing, backpedal, sprint in, overhead…

Which is more complex?

• @Alpha:

@Saraski:

Man, you just don’t get my point. I’m not talking about the archer class. I’m talking about ranged combat as a game mechanic. I’m saying that there are very few moves that you can use in ranged combat compared to melee. To illustrate I gave the examples, to which you reply that you can do them with an archer, mainly by going into melee. But then it’s just that - melee combat, not ranged.

And trust me, I know all about exploiting bugs in AoC (jumping to avoid damage), I’ve got nearly 800 hours clocked and that’s only since they introduced stats on Steam. We are not talking about AoC here.

Further example of my main point below.

Ranged combat example:
    (vs melee)
    shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot, backpedal, shoot, backpedal, shoot, go into melee
    (vs ranged)
    shoot, strafe, shoot, strafe, shoot, jump, shoot, strafe, strafe, shoot, strafe…

Melee combat exmple:
    swing, block, strafe, jump and overhead, block, circle enemy, stab the side, block, feint, stab, dodge, sprint, overhead, block, miss + combo swing, backpedal, sprint in, overhead…

Which is more complex?

You forgot melee vs. ranged:
    Sprint, sprint, sprint, sprint, die.

• @Alpha:

@Saraski:

Ranged combat example:
    (vs melee)
    (vs ranged)

Melee combat exmple:

Which is more complex?

Well… if that’s how you describe ranged combat, of course it seems less complex. You could describe melee combat as “swing, swing, swing, swing” as well…

Your discriptions here completely fails to take into account that you have to aim a tiny dot, to hit the enemy, while melee combat deals with a huge arc. You also tend to be closer, and thus have a bigger target.

Not to mention that in ranged combat with slow-moving projectiles you have to anticipate your opponents movements to a greater extent than in melee.

Last but not least, playing as an archer (in this case), you have to be a bit more mindful of positioning yourself strategically, which is less present playing melee (run towards enemy, hack at enemy).

So to be honest… I think the question of the comparative complexity of these playstyles is a bit more complicated than you make it out to be.

• So in conclusion, archery is a totally different type of challenge. Deal with it 8-)

• @Sultanofswing:

So in conclusion, archery is a totally different type of challenge. Deal with it 8-)

Calling archery a challenge is utterly laughable.

I don’t even play the class often, but I do pick it on occasion when our team needs help taking out siege weapon users. It is not hard at all to get kills with. Not even the slightest. You just spend your entire time shooting unaware people in the back. That is all there is to archery in this game - just shooting people who cannot fight back. I say this as a victim of the bow and someone who has used the bow. Heck, once you’re good at using the dagger/shortsword not even a knight can stop you once he closes the gap (with 2 arrows sticking out of his chest first).

It is not a skillful class and it punishes those who are skillful on the battlefield.

Don’t even get me started on the archers that stand in the spawn-exit, back-shooting enemies and contributing nothing to their team.

• I can understand why people question the archery in this game since it focuses so much on melee combat and being up close and personal.

I feel it’s a little too late now but I’ve always though that perhaps instead of an actual Archer class being up for selection, that the (cross)bows be an option in the 3rd list of items to bring with you into battle.

I mean think…while it does make sense that the Archer be it’s own separate character since they did indeed have them in medieval times.
    It’d also change gameplay and how people start battles. Imagine it actually being a 3rd place item in exchange of throwing weapons (Which would then need a buff) and shields and the oil/smoke pots. You’d have some people charging straight into battle while half of each team pulled out their (Cross)bow and fired off at each other. Filling the sky with volleys of arrows. Actually making players NEED to crouch, look up, raise their shield and hope for the best.

Hell it could even adjust to each class
    Men at arms drawing the quickest since they’re the fastest but their shots being slightly weaker.
    Vanguards drawing normally and having normal damage along with normal arrow drop
    Knights drawing the slowest but with their strength pulling it back farther to increase damage and arrow drop

Of course giving everyone the chance to use arrows would probably mean a lower count of arrows instead of the usual 30/25. In addition to a change to what would be the 4th class. A huge problem that really makes this whole idea rather pointless.

• I’d like to add my quick two cents and mention that I really like using an Archer for their melee capabilities. Playing an Archer with the mindset of being right up there with your teammates (as in being 10-15 feet away from the fighting) and being ready to bring out your dagger to backstab an enemy has been a blast for me. I figure that 50% backstab damage bonus for Archers has to be for something, so usually if I miss with a crossbow and a friendly is losing a battle with an enemy, I help out with a good backstab or two.

That’s why Archers are more like a neat Rogue class to me, and being in the thick of battle with them seems more rewarding than camping back where it’s safe, especially since it’s more helpful for your teammates (such as if you’re playing King of the Hill or have to push a cart of whatever), and the large majority of players who hate Archers can have a better chance to kill you.

With the added challenge of most weapons being able to one-shot you, I think they’ve really created a class that requires some skill to pull off successfully (not to say that the other ones don’t, but being an Archer has a unique challenge of its own). Plus, backstabbing someone to death has something horribly satisfying about it.