Chilling, Bringing people Together

• Chilling. Its when your not playing the game, but you enjoy being in its universe. When you are with a group of friends, clan buddies or just random strangers. What happens when you chill? You stand around, chat/make jokes, or perhaps you try to see just how well a knight in armor can swim. ;)

Chilling brings people closer together and, in my opinion, keeps people playing the game longer then any gameplay aspect could ever do.

My idea is simple: Give people the ability to chill
    This could be done in a variety of ways and im sure the community could come up with more ideas.
    Some things could be very simple, like giving the players the ability to sheath their weapon, or making animations for just sitting down.

More difficult ways would be things like, letting server owners upload custom music that could be played in game (Although im not sure if this would ruin the immersion). Another way would be to make small mini games that players could do: playing some sort of dice game, a shooting range for archers, maybe a fist fighting mini-game to help train and build up reflexes. Imagine a chess game! that would be very cool :P

Chilling could be achieved in much more extravagant ways aswell, like a dancing mini game or maybe fishing! :D

You could make a mode called “freeplay mode” where players would partake in chilling. You could make this mode in such a way that nobody could hurt each other unless they agree to participate in a duel. A great way for clan leaders to teach newer players how to fight.

Now, in no way am i saying that this should be the focus of the game, for the game to be successful you need solid gameplay with minimal bugs first. I know you are a small team and probably don’t have alot of time so i suggest these things be implemented in some sort of patch or expansion pack after the game has been released.

I think chilling would be a great addition to the game and would not only boost its sales but create a great environment that everyone would enjoy.

Feel free to post more ideas and disscuss this idea.

• this concept would only be good in an MMO because of how the servers work. By having it on the “chilling” map or w/e you aren’t really advertising your server or community as something someone would want to join to play the game. No one logs on a FPS to sit around and talk, the log on to kill things and have fun. For clans, “chilling” happens in vent after/before scrims, or ever during pubbing, which could also be considered “chilling” in a way. But having people play your game to sit around and play mini-games isn’t all that appealing… the reason CS did so well is because of it’s mechanics and how well it played and how well it was balanced, not because it had mini games and stuff on the side for you.

Although this seems like a good idea to just sit around and relax with your pals on a game and do w/e, but this isn’t that kind of game, nor is it trying to be that kind of game. I think trying to add something like this would take away from the experience and you might as well go play medieval sims. But for games like this, chilling is for in vent to just sit around and talk.

• @Vox:

chilling is for in vent to just sit around and talk.

Or team speak, Or mumble, skype.

ect,ect.

• I find that chilling can work even outside of MMOs and CS was a great example. People modded it because they did feel that chilling was important enough to be implemented. As i said before, i am in no way saying this should be a focus in the game, more a side thing that people can have fun with. I know many clans that support more then one servers, and almost always one of those servers are a “chilling server”. Be it hide “n” seek, surfing or some other type of game people have been chilling in FPS games for a long time. Vent and other ViOP programs are great, but people like to interact in more ways then just with verbal language.

Perhaps the game could be made easily moddable then? Even then, the “chilling” aspects created by modders are usualy do to physics and engine properties that coincidentaly allowed certain chilling games. Im simply stating that i think it should be looked into, it would be much eaiser afterwards to find a way to have a “chill-zone” if this was looked into by the devolpers.

• As you you said, CS was modded to put this kind of gameplay in. The UDK support mutators that can mod the gameplay in a massive variety of ways, I see no reason why a mod community couldn’t do this if there was enough demand. For the time being however, I expect the dev team has for important issues on their plate. The game will be a much greater success with a fully funtional and working combat system than a slightly off kilter combat system, but with you able to sit around and “chill”

• The idea sounds good to me. I really dont think its great to have only games modes or types where your fingers hurt after 30mins and you start to get stressed from the constant pressure … then quit like i did when i bought quake 4 … dont get me wrong i enjoy it its just need to chill sometimes… just like people do on css surf maps or crysis where you can modify the speed and stuff and just mess about having lols.<br /><br />or boat wars in crysis …that was great fun…where we had groups of people on the deck of boats going having there own territory.<<<not saying we should have this in chivalry<br /><br />i think the important thing for chivalry would be to allow people with servers to customize alot if they so choose to .<br /><br />im allready thinking you could make fun puzzle maps in chivalry like css had . i hear chivalry has alot of trap like stuff … that could be fun to include in the puzzle maps XD<br /><br />so yes all id really ask …noo i beg from the dev team is server modding ability…please …<br /><br />1.downloadable custom maps right from the servers…<br />2.custom skins for players…server side.<br />3.custom weapons…server side.<br />4.speed,damage that sort of thing changeable server side.<br />5. possibly you could have a setting server side to have up to 6 teams? thats 8 players per team<br /><br />have 3 teams together so its 3 teams vs 3 teams<br /><br />imagine 6 clans going up against each other on a custom pro map all with there own little castle/guild house MAY THE BEST CLAN WIN !! XD<br /><br /><br />plzplz XD

• Developer

We definitely want to allow the community to help create content for the game and expand its versatility, so while I can’t say we’ve looked into the specifics of anything yet I can say that we do plan to allow for and support mods and server configs. As for doing things like this ourselves… its unlikely. There are a million great ideas we’d love to do but with a small team we have to be very efficient in the features we select and I can’t claim this would be a key feature for most people.

• thank you thats good to hear :)

i have a question about the editor

is this game going to be dx11? as the lastest unreal 3 editor supports that?

also are there any thoughts to have the game 3d ready?

just wondering these cause im learning about the editor and want to make sure i learn in dx11

• wait a minute forgive me if I’m wrong but is this suggesting I (and apparently loads of other ppl) could buy a game for £25 or whatever which has awsome medieval true-to-life etc features and other epic stuff and then use it to sit around and talk+play computerised chess?

Sorry mate but I thought of 2 cheap solutions to your needs;
    1. get otuside more often
    2. http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dvideogames&field-keywords=chess

• @Campin:

wait a minute forgive me if I’m wrong but is this suggesting I (and apparently loads of other ppl) could buy a game for £25 or whatever which has awsome medieval true-to-life etc features and other epic stuff and then use it to sit around and talk+play computerised chess?

Sorry mate but I thought of 2 cheap solutions to your needs;
    1. get otuside more often
    2. http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dvideogames&field-keywords=chess

1. i dont think its right you telling someone how to live there life…
    2.its not a cheap solution ether it would be a extra £6 on top of the game plus… delivery
    3. in the chess screenshots i see no medeval avatar sitting there… no table… no other objects. …
    its about it being seemless and being able to go do other stuff.

i dont think you realize but game are ever more going to include mini games… just look at any tech

mobile phone… no longer just for calling
    tv no longer just for tele …you have radio,internet

wouldnt suprise me if 10 years from now we all just own gta 10 and can do everthing in that :P

racing,horror games in the game its self,fps shooters,story , plane stimulator,heli stimulator ect

• chilling and modding, imo, are completely different. Modders mod the game to create different experiences. If you look at Starcraft 2 then you can see modding a game is amazing, it can change how the game is played, make the maps more in depth and more challenging for high skill levels. Same with minecraft, the things people have moded into that game are outstanding. I’m all for modding, but chilling is something else imo, it’s just kindah sitting around and chatting.

• chilling and modding are diffrent …. yes :P

cause chilling means relaxing or a relaxed atmosphere

and modding means making modifications

so were talking about making modifications in the game and to create a laid back and relaxed experience.

they can very much be related

• Perhaps i wasn’t clear enough in my original post, i have said twice that i do not think this should be a focus of the game. The only reason people bothered to Mod CS was because the game itself was good. In my original post i said that this would most likely needed to be implemented after the game was released in a patch or expansion. I realize this is a small team and needs to focus on core gameplay. The only reason i bring this idea early is because at the time the community is still small. If the game does become solid and gets alot of attention, getting ideas like this in may be more difficult simply because there will be alot more ideas. The game itself is already different and there isn’t really anything like it at the moment, its bringing somthing new, and because im so confident in it i post somthing else that i havn’t seen in an FPS.

Kendo-fun had a great point, you stop playing the game after awhile. You have to take a break from the constant rush, but you can chill while still playing the same game. Lots of gamers do that, after playing alot of CS you may get tired of the constant fighting. You may get off to play poker or somthing simpler…or you may just go on a surf server. Chilling keeps people playing the game.

Im very happy to see that the modding support will be looked into, thank you for taking the time to read my post Tibberius. :D

• I am pro-chilling.
    Generally I chill by taking on an archaic dialect, wearing minimum armor and singling out any nearby quadrupeds in my crusade for bipedal dominance. I don’t need no fancy game mechanics.

• @Faranox:

singling out any nearby quadrupeds in my crusade for bipedal dominance. I don’t need no fancy game mechanics

DOMINATE THE CHICKENS

• Are you going for the idea of like Chat Channels or Lobbies like the ones you can find on Battle.net for blizzard games?

• @b3h47pte:

Are you going for the idea of like Chat Channels or Lobbies like the ones you can find on Battle.net for blizzard games?

Lol, if a codie is asking that question, isn’t it already the answer? >:O You sneaky sneaky person.