Momentum

• Does the game register momentum in the current version? What I mean is, when I land an overhead blow while jumping, does it do more damage than usual?

I like to jump from small hills/heights to land one of these whenever I get the chance. I can’t tell if damage is actually multiplied but I think it could be an interesting improvement, it would provide another high risk/high reward option, much like crouching to dodge a horizontal swing.

Plus it looks cool :D

• No unfortunately, M&B had this and it would be awesome if they could, would like to know if its possible in the engine, and if so if the devs would think about adding it maybe in a later patch.

I find it silly that if im so much as touched by the tip of someones blade as soon as he begins swinging it, it hits me for full damage.

• Uh, it does have it.

Over-head hits for more. If you jump slash, it can by-pass block and does extra damage.

• @Mkilbride:

Uh, it does have it.

Over-head hits for more. If you jump slash, it can by-pass block and does extra damage.

That isn’t momentum, though.

Overhead strikes dealing more damage is a binary matter - scrolling your mouse down deals more damage than left clicking or scrolling it up. Jump slash/stab/overhead bypassing shields/blocks is just a matter of your angle of attack. Neither of these has anything to do with momentum - that is, your kinetic motion, whether through falling or sprinting forward, giving your attack more weight, and thus more “damage.”

• This would be great. many times i find myself pretending there is momentum when there is not because it looks and feels cool.

• there are 3 reasons why momentum doenst work with this game

1st: how would you balance this with the maa dodge-ability? dodges are VERY fast.

2nd: balance issues. the weapons are balanced in a way that they deal a certain amount of damage dependent on the class, the bodypart and the attack you are using.

which leads to

3rd: competitively its very important that you KNOW this damage values by heart. its an important skill which advanced players have.

you have to KNOW that a norse sword kills a VG in 2 bodystabs, but a knight in 4. (after 3 bodystabs the knight is at 1hp, so you should try to hit the head once)

if you implement momentum, this system obviously isnt gonna work anymore.

• 1st: Maa dodge, have a cap on how much damage you can do with the speed. For example what is the highest speed you could go besides maa dodge? Take that speed\damage and make it the same max extra damage you could do or receive from momentum when doing a dodge.

2nd: whys this matter? All classes would have momentum there for its just an extra factor.

3rd: its just an extra factor you add in. Why does it have to be “norse sword kills a VG in 2 bodystabs, but a knight in 4”? Why can there not be variables like there would be in real life?

Adding in momentum IS adding in an extra factor. Yes there would have to be some tweaking and balancing done of course…

This is a nice feature but I wouldn’t ruin the game by adding it, if it would.
    -If you didn’t want to do a full blown momentum system you could always just add extra damage when you jump and attack!-