Parry/Attack timings

• So I’ve been noticing this quite a few times. I will be MAA, let’s say, have a sabre equipped. Parry a knight with a longsword, and then do a stab. By the time I do the stab and hit them, they’ve already had their weapon wound up for attack. My stab hits, I see their blow come and start smashing the M2 button, but I can’t parry because it’s currently going through the stab animation still.

Re-cap: I parry a longsword, sequential stab and hit, see their attack coming and can not parry it.

Does this sound right? I find it good that I get to punish the person for getting parried, and find it aggravating that they themselves get to punish me for going in for an attack after a parry. I’m not fond of trading blows in this manner. It just doesn’t feel right to have a one-hander, do a parry attack and still get hit for it because of animation times. Anyone else notice this?

• /agreed

you don’t gain a significant enough advantage after a parry/block. in fact, it many cases, if the above doesn’t happen, then can swing for their 2nd attack after being blocked, faster than you can block-counter.

doesn’t make sense - and lets to LMB mashing.

• The flinch system is very odd. But the MaA is actually one of the more powerful classes cause of his speed. Instead of mashing M2, just hop backwards. It costs very little stamina, and it recharges really fast.

• I have to agree. Attack, get parried, parry, feint them but still get parried, break the habit and get punished and trade with your opponent.

• I agree the penalty for deflection is…non existant. In AoC a parried attack meant an free counter-attack in most cases but it is not the case anymore.

• A knight using his class traits to his advantage? What is the issue here?

• @Mashuu:

The flinch system is very odd. But the MaA is actually one of the more powerful classes cause of his speed. Instead of mashing M2, just hop backwards. It costs very little stamina, and it recharges really fast.

I don’t believe you can break animations with dashes. This is just an issue with animation timings, you’re stuck in animation while an opponent is swinging a two-handed after you’ve parried him and gone in for the quickest riposte, which is the stab. Just seems a little counter-intuitive with the parrying system is all.

What I believe should be the case is: once you riposte, if they go for an attack immediately, they should be struck in the windup cancelling their attack. Not struck in their swing animation so they get a free hit. This gives them the opportunity to parry your attack or reposition themselves, but does not reward them for getting parried.

• I get tore up by MaA who come in close with a mace or hatchet and just spam side swing combos. Unless I can get a parry, make them miss so I can start a swing or kick them off of me they are going to kill me in 3 hits. You probably need a quicker weapon if you want to get in close and finish them off before they can get off a swing.

• @DirtyHoudini:

@Mashuu:

The flinch system is very odd. But the MaA is actually one of the more powerful classes cause of his speed. Instead of mashing M2, just hop backwards. It costs very little stamina, and it recharges really fast.

I don’t believe you can break animations with dashes.

Oh! I get what you mean. I have a problem with it too. But instead of parry adn attack, parry, dodge to a side and attack him from there.

• Parrying as it is does not pose much problem to me, but I think it’d be a great addition to had “perfect parry” (same kind of perfect guard in 2d frames-based fighting game) which would leave the parried player a little more open to a counterattack.

To be a little more technical, I don’t know if there is actually a “windup” in the parry animation, but let’s assume there isn’t. A perfect parry would be launching the parry in a tight set time window (numbers up to the devs) just before the hit connects with our hitbox. The result wouldn’t be any kind of loss of control for the parried player, but just a slower recovering animation, leaving them more open to a counter.

2 birds with 1 stone, both fun and high skill floor. Don’t you agree?

• Two-handed weapons need more recover time but faster swings. Based on weapon weight.

One-handed war hammer needs nerf. I know it is off-topic. But seriously guys.

• @DirtyHoudini:

So I’ve been noticing this quite a few times. I will be MAA, let’s say, have a sabre equipped. Parry a knight with a longsword, and then do a stab. By the time I do the stab and hit them, they’ve already had their weapon wound up for attack. My stab hits, I see their blow come and start smashing the M2 button, but I can’t parry because it’s currently going through the stab animation still.

Re-cap: I parry a longsword, sequential stab and hit, see their attack coming and can not parry it.

Does this sound right? I find it good that I get to punish the person for getting parried, and find it aggravating that they themselves get to punish me for going in for an attack after a parry. I’m not fond of trading blows in this manner. It just doesn’t feel right to have a one-hander, do a parry attack and still get hit for it because of animation times. Anyone else notice this?

If you hit someone, it’s generally best to block the next incoming attack or both of you will get hit. The only way to hit someone second time is using combo and to use combo, you have to click before the first hit finishes. If you don’t do combo, you will get hit.

• @frozenknife:

Two-handed weapons need more recover time but faster swings. Based on weapon weight.

I think the system is already pretty good right now.

Have you used warhammer? That thing has ridiculously short range and slower than 1-hand sword. If you are getting owned by warhammer, you are not playing your best. I laugh at warhammer shield players because it’s so easy to just run out of the range.

• @boomandvibe:

@frozenknife:

Two-handed weapons need more recover time but faster swings. Based on weapon weight.

I think the system is already pretty good right now.

Have you used warhammer? That thing has ridiculously short range and slower than 1-hand sword. If you are getting owned by warhammer, you are not playing your best. I laugh at warhammer shield players because it’s so easy to just run out of the range.

Have you played AoC, it had a pretty neat system when it came to weapons, stamina and parrying. I don’t know why they left so many things that made that game complete.

One-handed warhammer is pretty easy to defeat with a polearm. Otherwise it is a nightmare. Because you 2-shot everything with fairly fast swings that has pretty devastating and precise overheads. I played both with warhammer and against it.

It shouldn’t 2-shot things. Two-handed weapons are there for 2 and one shot kills, not a one-hand hammer.

• @frozenknife:

Have you played AoC, it had a pretty neat system when it came to weapons, stamina and parrying. I don’t know why they left so many things that made that game complete.

One-handed warhammer is pretty easy to defeat with a polearm. Otherwise it is a nightmare. Because you 2-shot everything with fairly fast swings that has pretty devastating and precise overheads. I played both with warhammer and against it.

It shouldn’t 2-shot things. Two-handed weapons are there for 2 and one shot kills, not a one-hand hammer.

I’ve played AoC but it was so long ago that I can’t remember what they left out. Could you elaborate?

Any weapon can block 100% of the time. If you are blocking warhammer, it’s your fault.

• @boomandvibe:

I’ve played AoC but it was so long ago that I can’t remember what they left out. Could you elaborate?

Any weapon can block 100% of the time. If you are blocking warhammer, it’s your fault.

Attacks and parrying were more stamina taxing. Jumping costed stamina as well as running if you didn’t have full stamina.

Parrying bigger weapons than yours still damaged you and stamina cost was depended on how big the weapon is. There were a lot of 1-hit kill combinations, it felt rewarding and punishing for your successes and mistakes. Bigger weapons costed significant stamina to swing and you actually run out of stamina unlike C:MW if you weren’t careful.

It is the game’s first week and i’ll give them time of course. However this game feels like a unfinished product in it’s current state. Is it enjoyable? Hell yes. Does it have problems? Lots of them. I didn’t even mention bugs.

AoC’s combat felt better even considering it’s grievous bugs. It rewarded skill, thinking ahead as well as timing. Not this who will get around the enemy to hit them game like this is.

Make no mistake i still top the boards when i play melee classes, it just doesn’t feel right to me anymore, not after i played AoC. I am just playing ranged classes now.