Servers reporting wrong player numbers

• Some multiplay servers have started to report the wrong numbers to the lobby server. 13/32 or 5/24 servers actually being empty. Is it a new trick to get people into the servers (it was widespread in day of defeat: Source), or has something gone wrong somewhere? :)

• There can be spectators on the server that you cant see anywhere but they are there.

• Unlikely that there are 13 spectators for more than 5 minutes on a public server.

• I’ve noticed servers reporting inaccurate player counts as well - both too high and too low, so it definitely isn’t spectators.

• I’ve also been dealing with this, multiple servers today have shown up as almost full and actually been empty.

• i want to bump this. its very annoying when i join servers where the browser says there are 14 ppl on it and in reality nobody is in that server. its not only me who got this problem, 5 of my friends have it too.

• Multiplay is a ‘notorious’ fake playercount abuser. I’ve seen them pulling this crap in other games as well.

• Just registered espcially to post this.

Don’t think it’s just Multiplay, as I tried a couple of servers without that in their name in my fruitless 20 minute quest to find people to slash at and all were barren.

Nothing will discourage me more from a multiplayer game than being unable to find anyone else to fight, and doubly so if the server list is telling me it’s full and tricks me into logging in. Is there a config file or anything that might need deleting and re-creating, or is it purely down to the servers?

• @Mallory:

Just registered espcially to post this.

Don’t think it’s just Multiplay, as I tried a couple of servers without that in their name in my fruitless 20 minute quest to find people to slash at and all were barren.

Nothing will discourage me more from a multiplayer game than being unable to find anyone else to fight, and doubly so if the server list is telling me it’s full and tricks me into logging in. Is there a config file or anything that might need deleting and re-creating, or is it purely down to the servers?

There’s no official reply to this yet, but I do think it’s just the server hosts themselves being dicks.

They all want their servers to be popular, so the easiest method of whoring as many unique connections as possible is by putting up fake player counts (because let’s face it, nobody honestly enjoys joining an empty server).

If it’s not a server browser bug (and actually server host controlled), implementing valve’s server rating system would do the trick. Upon joining a server you deduct a certain amount of points from it’s server score, and you add a point every x minutes. This way, servers with fake player counts will get bombed down to the bottom of the scoreboard.

• I would hope it’s a browser bug personally, as if it’s being done on purpose it’s incredibly daft. People, (and I am at this stage myself), will just give up and go play something else and then there’ll be a lot less numbers using their servers.

Something like this being done on purpose could really harm a game that depends on multiplayer, must be terribly frustrating for the devs.

• Damn this issue. Its making me rage quit before I get to play!

• @Nerfed:

If it’s not a server browser bug (and actually server host controlled), implementing valve’s server rating system would do the trick. Upon joining a server you deduct a certain amount of points from it’s server score, and you add a point every x minutes. This way, servers with fake player counts will get bombed down to the bottom of the scoreboard.

plz do this!

after reading everything i personally will stop playing on multiplay servers. it makes me rage so hard when i join a 13/24 server and nobody is on it. it happend like 15 times…

• @ImpaleR:

@Nerfed:

plz do this!

after reading everything i personally will stop playing on multiplay servers. it makes me rage so hard when i join a 13/24 server and nobody is on it. it happend like 15 times…

Problem being 90% of the servers I see are Multiplay…

• They need to fix this fracking issue, and fix it fast.

I wasted time joining 4 different servers with hardly any players on them.

The end result was /quitting Chivalry altogether for rest of the day and spend my time in War of the Roses instead.

I am a gamer. And as such, I have a flavor for a variety of games and when it comes to two similar games (i.e. MoH vs CoD, DayZ vs WarZ, Chivalry vs WoTR) I will always frequent the game that offers the best stability, the most fun and the most players.

Right now, Chivalry is shitting in their own face by attempting to fool their own community into joining empty servers. Is the game really this unpopular that they need to fake their player numbers to make it look attractice?

Like we won’t figure it out and get pissed after being fooled several times onto empty servers?

I’m pissed at this shit, so I am going to support WoTR until they sort the server browser and/or go crush the kneecaps of the server providers.

Until then, see you in War of the Roses.

• @Devil:

Right now, Chivalry is shitting in their own face by attempting to fool their own community into joining empty servers. Is the game really this unpopular that they need to fake their player numbers to make it look attractice?

Direct your shitstorm at Multiplay, not Torn Banner. Multiplay are the ones putting fake player counts on their servers.

There’s plenty of people trying to play, but the problem is that even if there are 500 people trying to find a good server, all of them keep hopping in and out of (Multiplay) servers because of the fake player counts, so none of the servers ever fill up properly.

• Chivalry: Medieval Warfare Gameservers now available from Multiplay Gameservers!
    By Dentist @ 10:31:42

Today we are pleased to announce that Multiplay Gameservers are the official server provider for Torn Banner Studio’s first title, Chivalry Medieval Warfare.

–--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, since they are working together they CAN do something against this.

• @ImpaleR:

Chivalry: Medieval Warfare Gameservers now available from Multiplay Gameservers!
    By Dentist @ 10:31:42

Today we are pleased to announce that Multiplay Gameservers are the official server provider for Torn Banner Studio’s first title, Chivalry Medieval Warfare.

–--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, since they are working together they CAN do something against this.

In that case, bug both of them about it.

Dear Multiplay,
    Fuck off with the fake player counts.

Dear Torn Banner Studios,
    Please tell Multiplay to fuck off with the fake player counts.

• Developer

We’re looking into this, thanks for letting us know!

• np. i love u guys for creating this game. keep up the good work. i made 10 friends to buy this game just bc its so awesome!

@nerfed: chill dude :D

• i have similar problems since some days.

i tried to join 31/32 multiplay servers and i get connected to a whole different one with only 10 players playing.

if this forwarding is from multiplay, we should need an option to refuse getting forwarded. like in the steam browser. there should be an option to automaticly join the server when there’s a slot free.