"Fake News"

• @Patriotize said in "Fake News":

@jessomaticz said in "Fake News":

If 14/15 year olds are being manipulated by the media than maybe they should spend less time on Facebook and Twitter and more time reading a legitimate news source about what is really happening in the world.

Exactly my point. But who’s to stop them? With society nowadays, you can’t even control what your kid is reading without looking like some stuck up asshole who hates all gays and wants to watch the world burn or something. Everyone is a snowflake. Just how it is with this generation.

That’s fair, and I’ll admit I’m ignorant as to what it would be like to raise a child in a society like this. I imagine if I were, I would just try to teach them the difference and educate them as best I can.

• @jessomaticz
    I have a 21 month old. I don’t want to indoctrinate her into thinking the same way as I do, as I want her to think for herself, but I also want to make sure she will understand how to sieve truth from falsehood or opinion. There’s a fine balance I think. Not looking forward to it :(

• @jessomaticz do you think that there are legit mainstream news outlets? If so, what are they and why?

• @hit-trade I wouldn’t be the one to say what is legitimate to some and to others, I live in Canada so my news outlets are different from yours. I think there are many media websites that are more like blogs than news, not denying that either. I’m not denying the existence of fake or biased news, some may be more biased than others and some may be more fake than others, my only point is that good journalism is necessary. Donald Trump calls the media “the enemy of the American people”, but I just don’t agree with that viewpoint.

• @hit-trade just because some outlets are bad does not mean they all are, and does not mean they are your enemy. They call journalists “the fourth estate” because they are supposed to keep politicians in check.

• @jessomaticz oh, alright. I didn’t know you were Canadian. That explains a lot lol. I agree with your sentiment. The press is very crucial in a modern society, and it must be very objective, so that our public is informed enough to make decisions about voting for people who will change public policy.

The criticisms of Trump, from what I’ve seen and heard, are not based around his policies, they’re about misrepresenting him, which I feel isn’t right.

• @hit-trade
    I typically read multiple sites versions and compare. Knowing one is left leaning and the other is right allows you to get a bit better idea.

Also, I typically like the AP, BBC, and Reuters. Nothing is ever 100% from bias though.

• @Naleaus yeah, it’s unavoidable. I find those sites to be pretty good as well.

• @hit-trade said in "Fake News":

The criticisms of Trump, from what I’ve seen and heard, are not based around his policies, they’re about misrepresenting him, which I feel isn’t right.

This is a extremely common tactic called an ad hominem and has been used against every President. Obama was called Muslim and accused of not being American, Bush’s intelligence/letting other members of his cabinet run things, Clinton’s extramarital affair, etc. It’s unfortunately how politics are and will continue to be as long as they sway opinions.

• @hit-trade it would be very difficult to support someone when everyone is constantly very critical of them. Especially when no one takes the time to consider other viewpoints. Whether or not I agree with Donald Trump, I respect the fact that people do and have their reasons, and those reasons are just as valid as those who dont support him.
    Many people are focusing their hate on one guy, but if people had more open discussions with one another about opposing viewpoints, I think a lot more people would find common ground. Politics are so polarizing these days in general

• @Naleaus very true.

• @jessomaticz that is how things should be, but unfortunately it doesn’t happen that way

• Everybody in this topic: braincell +1

• @hit-trade said in "Fake News":

@Hoplite-x-Viz the reason Trump supporters are crying wolf(?) is because the criticism of Trump from the mainstream media is simply wrong and skewed. I support Trump, and I am willing to discuss why and learn legitimate criticisms, and have a decent discussion, but the liberal media doesn’t want that! I’m a white-supremacist racist because I support Trump, according to liberal media.

I’m left leaning and have never have been so ideologically opposed to any president till Trump came (I was too young and politically unaware in Bush’s day)

That being said, you should be allowed to vote for whoever you want to without fear + judgement. Even if it is Trump.

I guess I just don’t understand why some people blindly follow him. He says fake news, his voters respond fake news…even without being informed.

• @Hoplite-x-Viz that’s just the nature of politics, honestly

• @hit-trade
    It’s an issue with the two party system I think. It leads to a definite ideological schism, us vs them. More choices could help, but it’s not in the interests of the current parties, and so much money is involved now that it limits a lot of grassroots movements.

• @Naleaus said in "Fake News":

@hit-trade
    It’s an issue with the two party system I think. It leads to a definite ideological schism, us vs them. More choices could help, but it’s not in the interests of the current parties, and so much money is involved now that it limits a lot of grassroots movements.

A centuries old battle it seems. Democrats vs. Republicans is merely an incarnation of the Federalists vs the Anti-Federalists. George Washington himself said political parties was a bad idea in fact.

• Speaking of political parties, psych studies say that it can be difficult to convert an individual from one party to another cause the side they associate with often compliments the person’s thought process and personality.