Shields should break

• Depending on the weapon used and the class wielding it, I think 5-10 hits should destroy a shield.

Why? Because as it is I can repeatedly block every attack. Even when someone kicks me, I have time to put the shield back up.

It’s quite overpowered imo

People have come at me with 10 strikes and I block them all like nothing.

If you don’t want shields to break, then when under 20% stamina a shield block should have a flinching effect to it. This would make it so the shield would have a longer delay before being able to place the shield back up again to block. Which would mean people could actually get an attack in once the shield user is drained of stamina.

But something needs to be done.

• mh maybe the speed could be affected but im certain shields breaking is not a clue. Well shields are not that usefull since u can go stab on their sides, or overhead them in the right position (didnt figure it 100 percent but when really close 2handers can go over it)

• They should just make it so you can actually get around the shield if you attack the unprotected parts (legs, small areas on the sides depending on how its angled). So the person wearing the shield still has to, y’know, aim it correctly to block things. It’s easier than parrying though, since it covers way more area and can be held indefinitely. But you’re also freakin’ blind while you’re holding it up so you need to put it down to assess incoming attacks.

… uh, is that the way it currently works? I honestly just kill shield people by waiting for them to do something dumb, so I don’t actually know now that I think about it.

• Shields are definitely in need of drawbacks, but being breakable would be overkill.

• Drawbacks: Blind when blocking. Can only see a little bit above the top of the shield. Also, stamina. Knights don’t notice this too much due to their “tank” passive but it still applies. Blocking drains stamina. Once stamina is depeleted, blocks will not block damage and will cause a flinch.

To counter shields: For faster classes, cut around behind them and attack their unprotected rear. For all classes: DO NOT LET UP. Keep up the pressure. Every blow you land drains his stamina and keeps yours from being depleted. Eventually the shield user runs out and you cut him down mercilessly.

This game, in general, heavily favors aggression in many cases, including people holding up a shield.

• The only problem I have with shields is the passive protection they provide when equipped. Getting around them is easy, and the user is near blind when holding them up. You can also just spam attacks from a distance and wear down their stamina.

The Buckler is fine as it is, but the Tower, Heater and Kite shield need some sort of small adjustment.

I hesitate to say this, but maybe the larger shields need some sort of weight penalty when equipped. I’m unsure how this would effect play or balance, but I don’t think it would cause any significant issues and it makes sense.

• A big no to shields breaking.

It would further encourage spamming. Players would just relentless swing at them knowing they will break. As they do in Mount and Blade.

Shields can already be hit over, under or around the sides.

They could increase the amount of stamina that is drained when blocking attacks with shields. This would probably be a better way to balance them. Although personally I think they do not need it. But it would be a better option and easy to do. As the mechanic is already there.

• @Solon64:

Drawbacks: Blind when blocking. Can only see a little bit above the top of the shield. Also, stamina. Knights don’t notice this too much due to their “tank” passive but it still applies. Blocking drains stamina. Once stamina is depeleted, blocks will not block damage and will cause a flinch.

Turning your FoV to 120 or playing in 3rd person basically eliminates the sight penalty. Even a MaA requires more stamina to block without a shield than with. The downsides to a shield are not enough given their ability to completely counter feints and provide the most solid protection against projectiles, even passively protecting you from them with no action needed on your part.

• Uh, No.

They need to be nerfed, Yes.

But breakable?

No.

• Shield effectiveness varies strongly based on the weapon used against it. Most 1h axes and maces can bypass shields with their slash attack easily even when aimed directly at the front of the shield. Their wide attack pattern, fast swings and the sight reduction caused by the raised shield make it difficult to aim the block correctly.

While shields do provide more protection they require practice to be reliable and even then, there is a multitude of ways to counter them. I don’t think there is need for nerfing the shields. And they definitely should NOT brake.

• Requiring 1st person view when holding the shield up would be a start to balancing it out. If they lose sight of me and have to lower their guard to find me that gives me an opportunity, or they aren’t able to track me and I sneak behind them.

• @Alpha:

Shield effectiveness varies strongly based on the weapon used against it. Most 1h axes and maces can bypass shields with their slash attack easily even when aimed directly at the front of the shield. Their wide attack pattern, fast swings and the sight reduction caused by the raised shield make it difficult to aim the block correctly.

This is just as true for parries as it is for shields. Shields still have the clear advantage here in that despite having to aim both, you don’t have to time your shield block.

• @SlyGoat:

This is just as true for parries as it is for shields. Shields still have the clear advantage here in that despite having to aim both, you don’t have to time your shield block.

True, but it seems that parrying has the advantage of covering much larger horizontal angle around the player. Not to mention you can even parry hits to your back. Also thanks to the clear view you can track both the enemy and his weapon more easily than with a shield. Plus, don’t forget the counter combo (parry + attack). You can’t do that with a shield.

• Personally I think that instead of shields breaking, it would be good if Crossbows could punch through them. Crossbows are originally designed for this purpose and it would make them a bit more usefull.

It would also be nice if Arrows would be stuck in people, so that you need to pull them out or bleed to death.

• @Alpha:

@SlyGoat:

True, but it seems that parrying has the advantage of covering much larger horizontal angle around the player. Not to mention you can even parry hits to your back. Also thanks to the clear view you can track both the enemy and his weapon more easily than with a shield. Plus, don’t forget the counter combo (parry + attack). You can’t do that with a shield.

The parry combo only bypasses the recovery time of the parry itself. Shields drop very fast and you can attack instantly. Actually, you may even attack faster with a shield than without - I’m not sure on shield drop times, but I know parry attacks use the combo speed of the weapon instead of the normal windup, which is generally longer.

• @SlyGoat:

The parry combo only bypasses the recovery time of the parry itself. Shields drop very fast and you can attack instantly. Actually, you may even attack faster with a shield than without - I’m not sure on shield drop times, but I know parry attacks use the combo speed of the weapon instead of the normal windup, which is generally longer.

Ok, but isn’t the parry recovery animation skipped then? I’m still under the impression that the total time to do damage is lower for parry + attack combo than a normal sequence of parrying and attacking.

• I think based on many different variables such as movement/weapon angle and weapon weight, you should be able to knock a shield out of a soldiers hands; it would keep shield users on their toes to ensure they are using it correctly against the opponent(s).

In the event of a player losing his shield from the strike of another, he could pick it back up if possible.

Of course it is debatable… it could become an annoyance to some players perhaps, but equally it could become a valid tactic.

• I am for a wood shield break with 2 hand weapon
    Hitting a shield with a big hammer or axe will break it IRL.
    It’s can be very fun to break shield

• @shayologo:

I am for a wood shield break with 2 hand weapon
    Hitting a shield with a big hammer or axe will break it IRL.
    It’s can be very fun to break shield

A very large weapon and a good hit can go through a shield IIRC, but blocking correctly could offset this.

Also, if we’re talking realism a shield user should be able to:

• Attack and block at the same time
    • Attack with shield
    • Conceal an attack behind a shield until ready to strike

• @Alpha:

Shield effectiveness varies strongly based on the weapon used against it. Most 1h axes and maces can bypass shields with their slash attack easily even when aimed directly at the front of the shield. Their wide attack pattern, fast swings and the sight reduction caused by the raised shield make it difficult to aim the block correctly.

While shields do provide more protection they require practice to be reliable and even then, there is a multitude of ways to counter them. I don’t think there is need for nerfing the shields. And they definitely should NOT brake.

I have not read the other posts yet just this one.

What about MnB makes it so that they should break in that game?

It’s literally the same problem with MnB, you can block all day long. Which is why MnB has shield breaking. I refuse to use the shield because its just too cheap (and not to mention boring, but thats preference not a balance issue)

The only way to counter it is pull out your secondary (1hander) and kick shield, stab. Still that take about 3-6 kicks and stabs to kill depending on the class.

Anyway, probably need to play for another month or two to see if enough people get good enough with shield to make a shield nerf warranted. As it is most people can’t use it effectively yet but the ones who do really really dominate.