Shields should break

• Shield effectiveness varies strongly based on the weapon used against it. Most 1h axes and maces can bypass shields with their slash attack easily even when aimed directly at the front of the shield. Their wide attack pattern, fast swings and the sight reduction caused by the raised shield make it difficult to aim the block correctly.

While shields do provide more protection they require practice to be reliable and even then, there is a multitude of ways to counter them. I don’t think there is need for nerfing the shields. And they definitely should NOT brake.

• Requiring 1st person view when holding the shield up would be a start to balancing it out. If they lose sight of me and have to lower their guard to find me that gives me an opportunity, or they aren’t able to track me and I sneak behind them.

• @Alpha:

Shield effectiveness varies strongly based on the weapon used against it. Most 1h axes and maces can bypass shields with their slash attack easily even when aimed directly at the front of the shield. Their wide attack pattern, fast swings and the sight reduction caused by the raised shield make it difficult to aim the block correctly.

This is just as true for parries as it is for shields. Shields still have the clear advantage here in that despite having to aim both, you don’t have to time your shield block.

• @SlyGoat:

This is just as true for parries as it is for shields. Shields still have the clear advantage here in that despite having to aim both, you don’t have to time your shield block.

True, but it seems that parrying has the advantage of covering much larger horizontal angle around the player. Not to mention you can even parry hits to your back. Also thanks to the clear view you can track both the enemy and his weapon more easily than with a shield. Plus, don’t forget the counter combo (parry + attack). You can’t do that with a shield.

• Personally I think that instead of shields breaking, it would be good if Crossbows could punch through them. Crossbows are originally designed for this purpose and it would make them a bit more usefull.

It would also be nice if Arrows would be stuck in people, so that you need to pull them out or bleed to death.

• @Alpha:

@SlyGoat:

True, but it seems that parrying has the advantage of covering much larger horizontal angle around the player. Not to mention you can even parry hits to your back. Also thanks to the clear view you can track both the enemy and his weapon more easily than with a shield. Plus, don’t forget the counter combo (parry + attack). You can’t do that with a shield.

The parry combo only bypasses the recovery time of the parry itself. Shields drop very fast and you can attack instantly. Actually, you may even attack faster with a shield than without - I’m not sure on shield drop times, but I know parry attacks use the combo speed of the weapon instead of the normal windup, which is generally longer.

• @SlyGoat:

The parry combo only bypasses the recovery time of the parry itself. Shields drop very fast and you can attack instantly. Actually, you may even attack faster with a shield than without - I’m not sure on shield drop times, but I know parry attacks use the combo speed of the weapon instead of the normal windup, which is generally longer.

Ok, but isn’t the parry recovery animation skipped then? I’m still under the impression that the total time to do damage is lower for parry + attack combo than a normal sequence of parrying and attacking.

• I think based on many different variables such as movement/weapon angle and weapon weight, you should be able to knock a shield out of a soldiers hands; it would keep shield users on their toes to ensure they are using it correctly against the opponent(s).

In the event of a player losing his shield from the strike of another, he could pick it back up if possible.

Of course it is debatable… it could become an annoyance to some players perhaps, but equally it could become a valid tactic.

• I am for a wood shield break with 2 hand weapon
    Hitting a shield with a big hammer or axe will break it IRL.
    It’s can be very fun to break shield

• @shayologo:

I am for a wood shield break with 2 hand weapon
    Hitting a shield with a big hammer or axe will break it IRL.
    It’s can be very fun to break shield

A very large weapon and a good hit can go through a shield IIRC, but blocking correctly could offset this.

Also, if we’re talking realism a shield user should be able to:

• Attack and block at the same time
    • Attack with shield
    • Conceal an attack behind a shield until ready to strike

• @Alpha:

Shield effectiveness varies strongly based on the weapon used against it. Most 1h axes and maces can bypass shields with their slash attack easily even when aimed directly at the front of the shield. Their wide attack pattern, fast swings and the sight reduction caused by the raised shield make it difficult to aim the block correctly.

While shields do provide more protection they require practice to be reliable and even then, there is a multitude of ways to counter them. I don’t think there is need for nerfing the shields. And they definitely should NOT brake.

I have not read the other posts yet just this one.

What about MnB makes it so that they should break in that game?

It’s literally the same problem with MnB, you can block all day long. Which is why MnB has shield breaking. I refuse to use the shield because its just too cheap (and not to mention boring, but thats preference not a balance issue)

The only way to counter it is pull out your secondary (1hander) and kick shield, stab. Still that take about 3-6 kicks and stabs to kill depending on the class.

Anyway, probably need to play for another month or two to see if enough people get good enough with shield to make a shield nerf warranted. As it is most people can’t use it effectively yet but the ones who do really really dominate.

• I think they should take a note from Bronn…

Shields should always block even when they are not up, but just block if the swing hits the area the shield is covering. They should slow you down… like, a lot. Not so much movement speed but reaction time should be drastically lowered.

If you are good at blocking you can defend against two VGs and a knight with just a sword either way… I have found that shields are only useful in melee if you are working with someone (a VG, or MAA) who is using you as bait and pumping out the damage. Otherwise blocking with a sword is just as effective, if you are good at blocking. The real bonus of shields at the moment is against archers, for obvious reasons.

Letting shields block while you attack gives them an actual bonus… The downside is if you miss once, you are likely dead. This makes it more practical to have a shield, which IRL is more practical… Unless you prefer two-handers, or you are like my man Bronn and want to be really fast and skillful.

Just MHO, not looking to argue with anyone about this. These are just suggestions, take them or leave them.

• Shields should break? Lol, go ahead and try to hold a shield up now and people will get around it all day either by hitting your feet or over the top or side. Not just that you go in your backyard and pound on a metal plated shield with your sword and see how much damage you do to the shield… I’m sure you would ruin your sword.