Could we have an asset kit please?

• Hello Torn Banner and friends,

I’m here asking for an asset kit that those of us who would like to create custom content can use. Mainly sounds, meshes, and textures so that what we create can be more easily integrated into the game without breaking theme or level of quality.

It may be a lot to ask, but you could offer some assets under a non commercial creative commons. Or release them under the agreement they will be used only to create content for chivalry or for personal use.

For the sake of brevity I will leave it at that.
    Thank you both Torn Banner and friends.

EDIT: I saw and noticed that a mod kit is in the works, I’m asking for assets to use until its released

• Bump

• Free bump

• You will be able to use the assets once we release the SDK. It’s a bit tricky to release them before that, sorry.

• Could we get a confirmation from the Devs that if we want to start working on the terrain etc… we should use the july 2012 UDK version?

• I can’t 100% guarantee that you’ll be able to port it directly from July 2012 UDK to our game when the editor comes out since I’ve never tried it. But it should work.

• Thanks for the quick reply!

Well basically we should be using the same UDK version you guys used for developing the game. I started mapping for Red Orchestra 2 a year ago and the game was made on UDK as well, at first we hadn’t the SDK either but the devs told us they made the game using beta version UDK XXXX and we all started on this. Then once the SDK was released we could port our map into that version.

Just a heads up! Can’t wait for you guys to release the SDK. Plenty new maps, game modes etc… then :)

• Sweet then yea, the July 2012 UDK should work.

• Would it be possible to get some pointers on what we should prepare for when creating a map for CMW before the asset kit is released. For example I recall someone saying that CMW characters are 50% larger than regular UDK characters.

I’m new to UDK and I’ve been watching some tutorials and reading about it. One thing I’m still quite unsure of is what kinda of workflow would be best. Right now I’m planing on starting by creating the terrain using various sculpting and world generation metods and get height, color, and material masks out of that process. After that I would start blocking out buildings and larger geometry on a proxy version of the terrain in Maya. I’ve read that it is possible to basically create the whole level in a modeling software, but it’s not recomended since you cant get instanced geometry imported and a modular approach inside UDK is usually prefered. I’m thinking of making a compromise where I have larger setpieces like castles and buildings placed in their final position inside Maya and have the LOD and colision meshes prepared for them. Foliage, Trees, torches, weaponracks and other detail objects would be imported separately and placed by hand inside UDK. The terrain would have one large colormap and grayscale detail textures + normalmaps.

Does this sound like a reasonable approach?

• I think what you are trying to do can be done, but maybe check on the UDN if you can find more information: http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/Landscape.html

• @Leo:

I think what you are trying to do can be done, but maybe check on the UDN if you can find more information: http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/Landscape.html

I’m going with the approach seen in this tutorial series:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0o3bqoM0Qg

UDK specific importing:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtR-4vA6 … ure=relmfu

The landscape part doesn’t really concern me that much. It seems pretty straght forward.

• anyone used the “merge terrain” tool I havent gotten it to work yet. Also looking for tuts for Maya, i have zero idea how to get started, im almost doner with bucky’s UDK tuts

• @MLuminos:

anyone used the “merge terrain” tool I havent gotten it to work yet. Also looking for tuts for Maya, i have zero idea how to get started, im almost doner with bucky’s UDK tuts

How well do you know Maya? Are you looking for tutorials on how to use Maya in general or are you looking for tutorials on how to integrate Maya models in to Unreal?

• @MDK:

@MLuminos:

anyone used the “merge terrain” tool I havent gotten it to work yet. Also looking for tuts for Maya, i have zero idea how to get started, im almost doner with bucky’s UDK tuts

How well do you know Maya? Are you looking for tutorials on how to use Maya in general or are you looking for tutorials on how to integrate Maya models in to Unreal?

what i know about Maya?

Zip… I dont know the interface or anything. I have no experience with 3d modeling outside of what was in the UDK tut which doesnt count as its just using brushes.