Interruption Balance

• Hello,

First off, I’ve been very satisfied with the game so far. I find almost all mechanics in it to be satisfactory, however, there has been one growing quirk that I’ve been experiencing. I’m not quite sure if it’s working as intended, random, or what. But it has to do with weapon interruption, and why I believe it tips things the wrong way from the skill-based, brutal game this is intended to be.

If you can point me in the right direction; perhaps if I got some chart that described what weapons did what, what chance to, whether a maul or a dagger, etc, it would help for sure. I’d like to know what has a greater chance to interrupt and what doesn’t. I’d say Heavy > Light weapons, but so far it has been a gamble; I’ve had small daggers interrupt a million times in a row, and mauls too. So far it has been random.

I find this makes things more about numbers and HP pool than it does real skill. For instance:

Player A engages, 100% HP.
    Player A gets shot by a random arrow, is now at 50%.
    Player B engages, 100% HP.
    Player B swings first.
    Player A doesn’t block, just swings. Also it’s his first time.
    ~Player B does not interrupt Player A this time. Maybe next time! Either way, Player A is left with half health and B is dead because he didn’t roll his dice right. Oh, and both are using big heavy weapons, if that even matters.

You COULD say Player B shouldn’t have swung in the end there, but come on. Is that really how it’s intended to be? Completely random? I’ve seen so many cases where I could say… “If my swing was interrupted, boy I’d be dead right now!” SO, SO many. When it comes to situations like that, where the RNG nature of it kicks in, it’s really just about luck from what I’m experiencing.

I just feel like something is off about it when I can say, he or she was LUCKY, in a game all about timing, skill, movement and all sorts of strategies. Otherwise I have no complaints.

Suggestions:

If all weapons interrupted, then Speed would be OP. If all heavy weapons interrupted and light did not, or had very little chance to, it might make things more balanced. If nothing at all interrupted, knights would be more abundant than they already are.

Which is another thing: this quirk greatly benefits knights. He who has more HP will win if RNG favors his swing and doesn’t interrupt.

-turtle

• Interrupts aren’t random at all. You can only be interrupted during the windup of your attack - before the attack starts dealing damage. This is also the period of time where you can feint an attack. The player who started swinging last should’ve realized he’d take the hit and wouldn’t survive, and instead feinted his attack and blocked.

• So ONLY in the time that you CAN feint, you can be interrupted?

Does that mean a speedy hatchet user can just wait and strike only when he sees a charge-up?

And I don’t know, perhaps I’ll check it out more as it still feels random in retrospect.

• @usersname:

So ONLY in the time that you CAN feint, you can be interrupted?

Does that mean a speedy hatchet user can just wait and strike only when he sees a charge-up?

And I don’t know, perhaps I’ll check it out more as it still feels random in retrospect.

If said speedy hatchet user is waiting in hatchet range doing nothing, you should be able to just kick him back and hit him for free.

• I love my Hatchet. I manage to to 3v1 quite often with it. I’m a Vanguard and people see me with my Greatsword and are like “Bahaha, time to get this slow guy”

THen I switch, duck, dodge, twirl and hack, until 3 heads roll around me. :P

• Thanks for the responses; I have been testing this all out and this has helped me greatly. Thanks!