Anicant Warfare Greeks,Spartans,Romans,-Theme

• Hello My Everyone i am Dimos i want to share a an idea.

I have been thinking for a while that the nature of Chivalry:Medieval Warfare is so Bloody and fun that it would be the perfect game to include a Game-Mode or a DLC for say Ancient-warriors like a Greek Macedonian Soldier or Greek City States,Spartan & Romans the fighting in that time period was just as bloody if not Moore there might not have been as many two handed weapons but i am sure there is enough weapons in that time frame to have alot of fun i for one would love to be a spartan stabbing and slicing people up close and if that’s not your thing theirs the Spartha and other Weapons not going to name them all. Basically i think this game would be perfect for an ancient warfare theme.

What do you guys think?

• I think an ancient greek dlc would be awesome, there could be levels like the battle of thermopylae the battle of marathon, the greco-persian wars were a good example of a small force standing up to a large force and winning. You could even throw in some battles from Homer’s Lliad the most famous being the siege of troy. Although i do see a problem for the classes. Greeks did not like to fight from range so i don’t know how an archer would work. But i do think they used javelins so i don’t know. Okay thank you and have a nice day.

• Or a Roman Empire Vs Gauls/celtic Confederation Mod. The Battles between those 2 Massive Superpower of the time were epic, even more than with the greeks. So much that Roman considered the Gauls, along with the Parthian, to be their most difficult adversaries.
    And the 2 cultures are so different that it would be easy to recognize them.

• Great idea

• Rome vs Barbarians YES. Would be alot of work for them to do.

• Hmmm Gaul situated in what is now Current Day France was far from a superpower it was a Group of Tribesman Gathered bye Men of various status within the community to fight the Romans.

Now The Roman army was at this time a militia and very similar to a Greek phalanx battle line, with heavy Hoplite’s in the center. They ceased using the Greek phalanx style after Gaul sacked Rome 390/387 BC. So in terms of ancient warfare i recon Spartans * Greek City states versing Romans or something would be a lot Moore fun and Different.

As for the battle between Gaul and the Roman army at the time being Moore bloody or epic i disagree again i will give my reason.
    A Greek man named Pyrrhus of Epirus dafeated the Romans Twice in 280 and 279 BC the 2nd time being at such a great a cost to the victor being Pyrrhus that the term Pyrrhic victory was born a victory at such great a cost that the detrimental consequences greatly removes ones sense of achievement or profit.

So i am sure that this battle alone would have been Moore brutal since the victor would have probably had only a few thousand men left over if not less after winning the battle so alot of men would have died & dont forget that the longer a war persists the Moore inevitable is the sinking below civilized levels of warfare . Greek army’s in this time frame where not simple Greek city state army’s they were Moore complex they incorporated elephants (horse archers)-archers’slingers & javelin armed Men because they were formed during Alexander the Greats conquests and after he died. He got these horse archers From The Persian Steppes and Archers’Slingers and Javilins he incorporated into his army from Native Greece and Elephants he captured APPROX 40 all those of Porus King Of Puruvia-(Current Day Punjab-Pakistan) that survived the Battle of the Hydaspes River & those of King Porus’s Brother APPROX 30 who aided Porus in the battle off course not all of these armies had horse archers and the lot but the Sizable ones did. And if we go a bit Moore back in History before Megas Alexandros off-course we have the Leading Spartans with the-Thespians & Thebian’s who together with the naval Athenians Embarrassed the Persians time and again the Spartans at Thermopylae was its own little Pyrrhic victory before the Term was born in the sense that the Persians Did win at the Thermopylae pass but lost a lot of men to such a small force and that off-course Xerxes I lost the Campaign to the Greek city states in the end,

And Finally im sure Ancient Rome considered Carthage a bigger Threat if you ask wy?
    Well Hannibal He came the closest to destroying Rome.

• Yes and yes and yes to everything :)

• Good post. That is true but this is a game, It does not have to be realistic. The thought of romans vs barbarians is an exciting genre. It will probably only ever be a fan made mod any ways… Greek vs rome doesn’t sound that good considering there isn’t really a way to do a phalanx formation. Every one just runs around doing what they want.

rome vs germans\gaul\other celts
    Greek vs persia
    Rome vs carthage

My idea would be having rome vs briton when they was takeing over briton.

• I smell expansion ideas lol.

• [attachment=0:vg8w2hlf]220px-Greek_soldiers_of_Greco–Persian_Wars.png[/attachment:vg8w2hlf]Yes this is just a game but if your going for unrealistic ever seen the show called Deadliest Warrior were they do there best to see who would win between say a Spartan or a ninja or a Knight against a Viking Warrior.

Phalanx is a formation and the Greeks used it like a tool when it was needed.
    They had swords and stuff just like any other soldiers.

As i said before the Roman army’s that were around for the Gaulish tribes at that time in history were very similar to the Classical Greek way of fighting differences would of been in weapon length of the sword and spear javelin and shield shapes and the gear that was worn

So if i am correctly understanding you would want to see a Roman Legionary against a Gaul yes that is unrealistic however a Greek Hoplite Or Greek Macedonian Footman vs a Roman Legionary is Realistic Likewise a Roman Legionnaire vs a Germanic Tribesman would also work.

Come to think of it you could even have Spartan vs a Roman Legionary.

The Battle of Gythium sludged out in 195 BC between Sparta and the coalition of Rome, Rhodes, the Achaean League and Pergamum.

Now that would sound interesting i would much rather see a Roman Fighting a opponent with about just as much amour like a Greek Hoplite instead of a warrior From say Gaul or Germania who did not wear all that much protection at that time!

And dont forget alot of Germanic tribes allied with the Romans when Rome went to war with Gaul because the Romans offered them suitable farming land in Return for a time anyway.

• Yea i seen that show. Of course geeks had swords\axes\clubs etc. Even the phalanx formation wasn’t used nearly as much around the time Rome was formed as it used to be. They are just so close in culture id rather have Celtic or eastern vs Rome
    I love ancient warfare and id definitely be happy with a Greek vs Rome.

• What about just full-on gladiators? Spartacus style. This game seems ideal for it.

• @gmillar:

What about just full-on gladiators? Spartacus style. This game seems ideal for it.

A lot of us want something like that, this game has the base for an epic gladiator game, could be a dlc or maybe if we are lucky a full blown game, though a dlc makes a a bit more sense.

• Yea gladiators would be the best. And have different arenas with various obstacles .

• We can build up a team for creat a mod and add war roman/gaul/german

We can creat very nice stuff/mod

• Gladiator arena theme would work well yes

Gauls, Samnites, and Thraeces (Thracian From Greece.
    Were some of the early Gladiator types the all wore the native amour and used the native weapons
    they were in a way much meat for the slaughter they were very poorly amoured unlike the later Gladiator fights.

However you would have a bigger arsenal of weapons and different looking amour later in history around the time of The movie gladiator 161 to 180 CE or roughly 30 years after Jesus Died when the Colosseum was built 70 CE. The type of gladiators in this time period came from a number of backgrounds we have A number of German War slaves Similar to Crixus, we have Spartacus From Thrace in Greece,The Roman gladiator Emperors Caligula, Titus, Hadrian , Cracalla, Geta and Didius Julianus,Syrian Slaves, you also had Black slaves from the area around Carthage & much much Moore.

You wouldn’t want to set it in the early gladiatorial fights because it was quiet bland then the emperors did not spent as much money on it back then as they did after and you wouldint want it to have just say Roman and Germans no you must remember they all had there own fighting styles so it would be quiet boring & and yes its just a game but aiming for a broader experience with balance and a few different types of gladiators because there were quiet a few different types.

• @Dimos:

Hmmm Gaul situated in what is now Current Day France was far from a superpower it was a Group of Tribesman Gatherd bye Men of various status within the community to fight the Romans.

That’s just so wrong on many level. That’s the kind of theory that we belived during the 19th century, but not anymore. Modern historian have found out that they were actually quite advanced (smithing, philosophy, weaponery, crafting…). And their system could be more compared to the greek city states than a simple tribe system.
    The greeks were as much divided as the gauls, yet like the gaul they could make massive coalition in times of needs.
    Like when the Gauls invaded italy 2 times, sacking rome and imposing massive tributes on the roman. Add to that that most of the roman weaponery was first invented by gauls (chainmail…) then brought to the roman by commerce. So yeah, Gaul was a superpower when it could make a coalition of all the state/tribe, Exactly like the greeks.

So yeah, a Celt vs Roman mode would make as much sense as a greek vs roman. Exept that Celts are even more different so they would be even more visible on the field.

Better Why not a Celt vs Greek vs Roman vs Carthaginian mod?

• No Akarnir its not wrong on many levels i will give you a few reasons why.

Gaul did not have Philosophers what they did have was druids and they resembled the philosophy of Pythagoras in several respects.

.Thucydides and The Peloponnesian War is Taught in many Military Academies Today.
    Can you say the same about Druids Writing anything being Taught today?

.When Rome was invading Gaul the Romans had a much larger supply of men from which to draw soldiers, so their casualties did less damage to their war effort than it did to Gaul so there you go that explains why Gaul was not a superpower in one aspect just one.

In ancient Greece, service to one’s polis was key to daily life. Therefore each summer, which was the best time for fighting in Greece due to environmental conditions, different polis would war against each ok. Now off course the Spartans put there natural born citizens called a Spartiate through the Agoge and had a much much harsher life which if the Spartiate survived brought out stronger soldiers.

So no Gaul was not similar to this in any way.

Ancient Greece had Moore than 230 City States Greece was not a unified country at that time all the city states vied for power and battled each other year in year out some even sided with the Persians against the Greek city states because they where mutual towards Persia or a Persian King such as Xerxes at the time this was not rare so again no Greece was much Moore divided ‘in the sense that’ they were very aggressive to each other and they fought together only against what was a common enemy to many of them the Persians and only if it benefited them in some way or another.

Gaul was not like this at all it had 65+ Tribes each with a Capital i will give you an example (Aquitani) Capital-(Bordeaux) the Celts later on had quiet a bit Moore there is also a bit of confusion weather the British tribes were called "Celts.

Roman Weaponry was not invented by Gauls as i stated in an earlier post at that time in history when the Romans where fighting the Gauls the Roman army was at that time a militia and very similar to a Greek phalanx battle line, with heavy Hoplite’'s in the center they also took some craftsmanship skills from the earlier inhabitants on mainland Italy the Etruscan s
    and some of the Greek colonies near the Italian boarder close to Greece.

.Both the Greeks and the Romans used a word called barbarian.
    .The term originates from the ancient Greek word Barbaros which literally means "whoever is not Greek is a Barbarian.
    They even called the Greek Macedonians barbarians at the time of King Philip Of Macedon Father of Alexander The Great.

.The Greeks used it mainly for the people of the Persian Empire
    sometime later, they used it for the Turks, in a clearly pejorative way.

.The Romans used the word barbarian for the Germans, Celts, Iberian s, Thracian’s, and Persians.

.Gallic groups and you could call Army’s pressure toward Greece in the southern Balkans at around
    279 BC one of the notable Gaelic Men who were responsible for this where called Brennus literally as a Title not a name because there was another Gaelic Brennus earlier in history.
    These Gauls were forced back into a full scale retreat eventually by the Greeks keep in mind this was after Alexander the Great Died during this period and after the Gauls were called Barbarians.

Also both the Greeks and Romans called the Gauls barbarians from there own mouths so i dont think it was a 19th century Theory that i or somebody else just thought up in our minds i hope i explained clearly enough why.

Finally
    As for a Gaul Or Celt being Moore visible than a Greek vising a Roman or A Roman Legionnaire i disagree again because if it was a problem then we would have seen in history soldiers killing there own periodically in ancient times we dont see this.
    Now the Greek Hoplite distinguished Himself with the horse hair plume on his helmets with vairing Colored plumes so the generals could tell who was who the Romans also adopted this.

Why not a Celt vs Greek vs Roman vs Carthaginian mod? hmm sounds cool i Guess.
    Also like the idea of a Gladiatorial DLC.

• @Dimos:

No Akarnir its not wrong on many levels i will give you a few reasons why.

Gaul did not have Philosophers what they did have was druids and they resembled the philosophy of Pythagoras in several respects.

.Thucydides and The Peloponnesian War is Taught in many Military Academies Today.
    Can you say the same about Druids Writing anything being Taught today?

.When Rome was invading Gaul the Romans had a much larger supply of men from which to draw soldiers, so their casualties did less damage to their war effort than it did to Gaul so there you go that explains why Gaul was not a superpower in one aspect just one.

In ancient Greece, service to one’s polis was key to daily life. Therefore each summer, which was the best time for fighting in Greece due to environmental conditions, different polis would war against each ok. Now off course the Spartans put there natural born citizens called a Spartiate through the Agoge and had a much much harsher life which if the Spartiate survived brought out stronger soldiers.

So no Gaul was not similar to this in any way.

Ancient Greece had Moore than 230 City States Greece was not a unified country at that time all the city states vied for power and battled each other year in year out some even sided with the Persians against the Greek city states because they where mutual towards Persia or a Persian King such as Xerxes at the time this was not rare so again no Greece was much Moore divided ‘in the sense that’ they were very aggressive to each other and they fought together only against what was a common enemy to many of them the Persians and only if it benefited them in some way or another.

Gaul was not like this at all it had 65+ Tribes each with a Capital i will give you an example (Aquitani) Capital-(Bordeaux) the Celts later on had quiet a bit Moore there is also a bit of confusion weather the British tribes were called "Celts.

Roman Weaponry was not invented by Gauls as i stated in an earlier post at that time in history when the Romans where fighting the Gauls the Roman army was at that time a militia and very similar to a Greek phalanx battle line, with heavy Hoplite’'s in the center they also took some craftsmanship skills from the earlier inhabitants on mainland Italy the Etruscan s
    and some of the Greek colonies near the Italian boarder close to Greece.

.Both the Greeks and the Romans used a word called barbarian.
    .The term originates from the ancient Greek word Barbaros which literally means "whoever is not Greek is a Barbarian.
    They even called the Greek Macedonians barbarians at the time of King Philip Of Macedon Father of Alexander The Great.

.The Greeks used it mainly for the people of the Persian Empire
    sometime later, they used it for the Turks, in a clearly pejorative way.

.The Romans used the word barbarian for the Germans, Celts, Iberian s, Thracian’s, and Persians.

.Gallic groups and you could call Army’s pressure toward Greece in the southern Balkans at around
    279 BC one of the notable Gaelic Men who were responsible for this where called Brennus literally as a Title not a name because there was another Gaelic Brennus earlier in history.
    These Gauls were forced back into a full scale retreat eventually by the Greeks keep in mind this was after Alexander the Great Died during this period and after the Gauls were called Barbarians.

Also both the Greeks and Romans called the Gauls barbarians from there own mouths so i dont think it was a 19th century Theory that i or somebody else just thought up in our minds i hope i explained clearly enough why.

Finally
    As for a Gaul Or Celt being Moore visible than a Greek vising a Roman or A Roman Legionnaire i disagree again because if it was a problem then we would have seen in history soldiers killing there own periodically in ancient times we dont see this now the Greek Hoplite distinguished themselves with the horse hair plumes on there helmets with vairing Colored plumes so the generals could tell who was who the Romans also adopted this.

Why not a Celt vs Greek vs Roman vs Carthaginian mod? hmm sounds cool i Guess.
    Also like the idea of a Gladiatorial DLC.

You are right on some part, but off topic.
    But Here are some facts that you can check for yourself (google it) :
    -Celts had a very complex juridicial system + administrative system. There was a village assembly, then a region aseembly, then a state senate (with senators and all that stuff).

• When figting together (forgetting their difference/war), they could anihilate rome + etruscean and pose a serious treat to the greeks.
      -They had the best armors + weapons in the antiquity. Each soldier had to buy/make his own equipment, so that made up a great array of diversity in their ranks (which fits perfectly with the game mecanism). The rich had big armors+sword, the poor had bows+lance (and light armor).
      -They had huge fortress, with walls that were understructible but easy to climb (good balance for the game by the way). And were higly capable architect. The main issue is that most of their buildings were completely destroyed by the romans, which makes it difficult to analyse them. For quite some time we thought that they live in small huts, but in the past years, technology has allowed historians to dig out big buildings and roads (since it’s very recent, it’s not very known).

• Druids were great philosoph and scientist : BUT they refused to write down anything, for philosophical reason (they knew how to write, they just didnt wanted too). Since their order was destroyed, their teachings/knowledge disapeared, that is why we don’t teach druidic knowledge.
      -Gallic cities were HUGE (up to 140 000 inhabitants), and they had complexe commerce/social life.
      -There was complex diplomacy between the 65+ states, and each battled for power and commercial dominance.
      -Romans chain mail + helmet + swords derivate from the gauls.

• I do agree that there was a clear distinction between greeks and roman, that is why I propose a

GREEKS vs ROMANS vs CELTS vs CARTHAGINIAN mode. Each of them hated each other, and were fighting for dominance over the inland and sea commerce around west mediteranea. Each of them is clearly different from the other, each of them were very powerful at the time.

So it would be an ANTIQUITY BRAWL mod.

• DELETED (DOUBLE POST BUG)