Money and Mercenaries

• Money: People like to feel like they have accomplished something. People like to change the cosmetics of their person (Think hats in TF2.) I propose that a monetary system be implemented that awards players gold based on their performance in game. Gold could be earned by completing achievements, accomplishing objectives, or supplying assists to your teammate.

With the gold earned, players could purchase aesthetic trinkets for their various characters like a custom tabard, insignia, or even new taunts. This would allow for more personal customization but also give players an additional goal to work towards.

Mercenaries Besides aesthetics though, gold would have a more practical purpose, mercenaries. Mercenaries would be more powerful versions of the regular classes,not too overpowered, but just enough to give the player an extra edge against the enemy. Naturally, these mercenaries would not come cheaply and if you choose to spawn as one you will have to pay a hefty amount (say, 15 games worth of gold?). Also, players would not earn any gold while accomplishing things as a mercenary.

To prevent them from being abused, players would only be able to play as a mercenary for that one spawn they pay for. Furthermore, these hired blades should have a very distinct look to them, think of a German Landsknecht in place of a regular knight (I am aware that Chivalry does not take place in real Europe, but just bare with the analogy for the sake of it.)

Thoughts, suggestions, comments?

• How about no.

• The aesthetics idea is ok, but something very similar is being implemented already, iirc. Basically, it’s your idea but with an unlock system rather than a money system, which will do the trick just as well.

Mercenary class is a bad idea though. I cannot imagine how it would be beneficial for gameplay, I can only think about how annoying it would be to see a few good players (or no-lifers, for that matter, because your idea doesn’t award skill as much as playing time) getting an artificial bonus to further unbalance the whole thing.

• I really don’t care for unlock systems. I find them more annoying than rewarding. For example, CoD’s unlock system always seemed like a time sink to make up for sub-par gameplay. I’ve yet to enjoy the concept of unlockables in multiplayer games.
    The mercenary idea seems silly. Spend a ton of your hard earned currency on playing with super powers for one round? I’d rather purchase frilly hats to wear over my fullhelm.
    I feel like these suggestions would move skill away from combat and into money managment.

• All the things said before except for the first post +1

@Faranox:

For example, CoD’s unlock system always seemed like a time sink to make up for sub-par gameplay. I’ve yet to enjoy the concept of unlockables in multiplayer games

Thats going into my sig.

• An unlock system would be better in my opinion because you could unlock achievs to gain an item, or have a random drop system like tf2. The gold system doesn’t seem that good because you would have really good players getting things quickly and lesser skilled players only being able to gain them over a long period of time.

Merc’s are a dumb idea because high skilled players would constantly abuse them to turn the tides of battle, using them only when their team is losing or when they get an advantage to abuse that advantage, whereas lesser skilled players wouldn’t know how to deal with those classes or be able to use them themselves.

• @Faranox:

I really don’t care for unlock systems. I find them more annoying than rewarding. For example, CoD’s unlock system always seemed like a time sink to make up for sub-par gameplay. I’ve yet to enjoy the concept of unlockables in multiplayer games.

I agree with you there, I was never in favor of any kind of unlockable, but I’m not really against it either - if it’s purely for aesthetics. Still, I prefer it if all aesthetic options are available to everyone.

• Money system is of little interest to me personally.

I think Mercenaries as class is a good idea, just without any type of advantage or advanced stats. Just have them as a mix of the various troops that could easily be placed between the current ones and offer a few seperate weapons exclusive to them. Doubt the devs are looking to stray much, if at all, from the theme of the two kingdoms storyline that has been created, but I feel it could be implemented without doing that if they were so inclined.

• Having aesthetics to unlock would be fine i.e instead of the normal condom lookin MAA helmet you can unlock a cool looking spiked one like from the movie Gladiator. But nothing that would improve one persons gameplay over another. Fighting should be based purely on your skill in the class you are playing, assuming the classes have balance. The mercenary idea is just saying let people buy an OP class.

• @candance9b:

Source: wow! good one Here’s some thing to make you smile: Thought for the day? : Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

I almost clicked that. Now gtfo spammer.

• @Mad:

I think Mercenaries as class is a good idea

You would, you Balion dog! :P

• Banned

This post is deleted!