How to beat shields with 1 hand?

• I’m having trouble beating shields with 1 hand weapon. Is that because it’s short? how come other longer weapons go over the shields no problem?

• Move left of the shield (from you’re perspective) and use overheads, or move right and use slashes.

Thats the simplest way to get around it, mix that up with kick attacks and jumping attacks.

• Easiest is side stepping and using your attacks. Stab most probably won’t work. If you are not in a position to side step, kick and overhead.

• As MaA its pretty fun to dodge to their left (unshielded side) and punish their wiffed attacks.

• Kick and move around them. Remember to sprint while you kick; it retains some forward momentum during the kick animation (presumably a bug, but a good one IMO) which means you won’t just kick them out of range. They’ll be unable to turn their shield toward your attack during the kick stun, meaning you can circle to their back and get a free hit; then combo from the other side as they’re turning into the first attack which has by now already hit them.

I actually find a good shield user almost impossible to take out with a twohander compared to a onehander. Always switch to my secondary as a VG when I see a shield.

• @SlyGoat:

Kick and move around them. Remember to sprint while you kick; it retains some forward momentum during the kick animation (presumably a bug, but a good one IMO) which means you won’t just kick them out of range. They’ll be unable to turn their shield toward your attack during the kick stun, meaning you can circle to their back and get a free hit; then combo from the other side as they’re turning into the first attack which has by now already hit them.

I actually find a good shield user almost impossible to take out with a twohander compared to a onehander. Always switch to my secondary as a VG when I see a shield.

I had no idea sprint + kick. So it kicks enemy the same distance, but you are closer to them right?

• @boomandvibe:

@SlyGoat:

Kick and move around them. Remember to sprint while you kick; it retains some forward momentum during the kick animation (presumably a bug, but a good one IMO) which means you won’t just kick them out of range. They’ll be unable to turn their shield toward your attack during the kick stun, meaning you can circle to their back and get a free hit; then combo from the other side as they’re turning into the first attack which has by now already hit them.

I had no idea sprint + kick. So it kicks enemy the same distance, but you are closer to them right?

Yes. As already mentioned, though, it’s probably a bug. I would like to see kicks not kill your forward momentum when used during sprint as a feature, personally, because otherwise they’re really only useful on long range weapons.

• Wait, why can’t I kick/shield-bash while sprinting? I have to stand still before I can kick?

• This post is deleted!

• @boomandvibe:

Wait, why can’t I kick/shield-bash while sprinting? I have to stand still before I can kick?

You can kick/shield bash while sprinting. That isn’t a bug - you’ll stop moving to kick, though.

The bug is that if you hold down W+Sprint after initiating the kick, you’ll slide forward, allowing you to kick and close the gap somewhat.

• @SlyGoat:

@boomandvibe:

Wait, why can’t I kick/shield-bash while sprinting? I have to stand still before I can kick?

You can kick/shield bash while sprinting. That isn’t a bug - you’ll stop moving to kick, though.

The bug is that if you hold down W+Sprint after initiating the kick, you’ll slide forward, allowing you to kick and close the gap somewhat.

Oh, it’s NOT W+Sprint –-> kick = moving forward?

it’s kick —> W+Sprint = moving forward?

• @POOP:

@SlyGoat:

@boomandvibe:

Oh, it’s NOT W+Sprint –-> kick = moving forward?

it’s kick —> W+Sprint = moving forward?

You initiate the kick as you start sprinting.

• Is it also a bug that you can’t sprint and dodge as the MAA? You have to be walking in order to do so

• You actually can dodge while sprinting… sometimes. I assume it’s related to the same bug(s) that causes health and stamina to regenerate while sprinting.