More complex combat please

• Hello, I love this game but I’m a little bit disappointed how simple the core mechanics are in combat. I think making the basics a little more complex will make the more advanced plays (like the ones from the advanced combat tutorial videos) even more awesome.

When you cover with a weapon, you should be able to choose if you want to deflect horizontal/vertical strikes. (maybe one even for stabs)

The hitbox when you defend is too big, it’s too easy to defend strikes. It would be better if you had to look directly at the weapon. Right now it’s too hard to swing at feet, from the side etc.

When you swing, you should be able to choose if you want to strike from the left or from the right. I don’t always want to swing from the right on my first swing. What if I want to flank quickly to the left?

This is maybe nitpicking, but I also think most weapons/classes slashes too wide. It’s not cool when you’re basically behind someone and he’s just spamming slashes and kills you instantly because the slash begins almost behind him.

Well these are my opinions, thoughts?
    I’m sorry if it’s hard to understand, please ask if you don’t. I’m kinda struggling with english.

• I agree with a way to start swinging from the left on your first swing, but the rest I don’t see as an issue. It can already be very difficult to block a player with a quick weapon up close. This game is more about timing, anticipation and reflex than about muscle memory mechanics such as using X block against X swing and Y block against Y swing.

• You already have to look directly at the weapon.

• @SlyGoat:

I agree with a way to start swinging from the left on your first swing, but the rest I don’t see as an issue. It can already be very difficult to block a player with a quick weapon up close. This game is more about timing, anticipation and reflex than about muscle memory mechanics such as using X block against X swing and Y block against Y swing.

I agree with you that the game basic mechanics shouldn’t be too complex, but I’m sure defending hor/vert would feel very natural for everyone, and you can even learn it by instinct easily.

“Oh he’s striking from above, I must defend from above!”
    “Oh he’s slashing from the side, I must defend from the side!”

• @GamingShyGuy:

@SlyGoat:

I agree with a way to start swinging from the left on your first swing, but the rest I don’t see as an issue. It can already be very difficult to block a player with a quick weapon up close. This game is more about timing, anticipation and reflex than about muscle memory mechanics such as using X block against X swing and Y block against Y swing.

I agree with you that the game basic mechanics shouldn’t be too complex, but I’m sure defending hor/vert would feel very natural for everyone, and you can even learn it by instinct easily.

“Oh he’s striking from above, I must defend from above!”
    “Oh he’s slashing from the side, I must defend from the side!”

But you already have to do that.

• One thing I would like to see is the size of the weapon should play a role in parrying. Maybe it’s just me but I don’t feel a difference when I block with a 2 handed weapon versus when I’m blocking with a dagger. The dagger should theoretically require me to be more precise and should have a harder time blocking bigger weapons.

• @stew514:

One thing I would like to see is the size of the weapon should play a role in parrying. Maybe it’s just me but I don’t feel a difference when I block with a 2 handed weapon versus when I’m blocking with a dagger. The dagger should theoretically require me to be more precise and should have a harder time blocking bigger weapons.

I agree.

• how can you say that sly? this isnt true at all

the only time you have to adjust your block direction is when an maa or an archer is upclose to you or when someone jumps at you with an overhead-strike and even then its most often not necessary. its very true that in 95% of the times its simply enough to press the parry button.
    i dont understand how you can deny that.

• @Vyy:

how can you say that sly? this isnt true at all

the only time you have to adjust your block direction is when an maa or an archer is upclose to you or when someone jumps at you with an overhead-strike and even then its most often not necessary. its very true that in 95% of the times its simply enough to press the parry button.

Because it isn’t true. You have to aim your crosshair directly at their weapon to parry or you will fail to.

• @Vyy:

how can you say that sly? this isnt true at all

I hit people who don’t aim their parries every time. Every single time.

Alright, not every single time. Sometimes parries randomly parry attacks directly to your back :?

• In my opinion, the combat in this game already has a high skill-cap. It might seem simple on the surface, but I think it’s pretty in depth and difficult to master. There are many things you can incorporate in a duel:

• Parry timing/aiming
    • Faking (“Q”)
    • Crouching, jumping
    • Sprint
    • Slash, stab, overhead
    • Kicking
    • Combos
    • Voice commands/yells (in some situations)

If you are able to actually use these all effectively in a duel, you are an opponent to be reckoned with.