Information on mechanics

• Hi all, first post, many questions:

I have been trying to find out more information about the deeper mechanics of the game, I have watched both combat tutorials by Sharantil and so know about mouse dragging and stuff from there.

I only found out about the chase speed on a forum post while digging…
    I’ve heard that the halberd type weapons do more damage at the axe end and less close in but get conflicting confirmation of this in game.

I think that the weapon damages seem to be % of health but do the classes have different healths? If so what?
    Do shields provide block when worn on the back? If so doesn’t a tower shield on the back make you immune from behind?
    What are the stats on shields? Do their weight slow down your running or attacking?
    Under the detailed weapon info, is it ordered swipe, overhead then stab?
    What is reach a percentage of?

I tried the wiki but it seems pretty new and not overflowing with details atm.

Thanks in advance for any answers/help…

• Shields will cover you against projectiles but not against melee attacks if you are not blocking.

• All classes have 100 health, but different armor values depending on damage type of the attack used; highly detailed damage values here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc … TZnc#gid=1

Shields block projectile attacks when worn on the back or held as well as when actively blocking, but only block melee when actively blocking.

Larger shields cover more area; supposedly they also take longer to bring up and to drop down, and cost more stamina to hold up, but I haven’t really noticed a difference myself.

Attack1, slash; attack2, overhead; attack3, stab. Of course for some weapons this is somewhat inaccurate (spears have no overhead for example, just two stabs), but it still corresponds to the same button press.

Don’t trust the percentage numbers on anything, quite frankly they aren’t a very good indicator of anything. The best way to know a weapon’s reach is to look at its visual model while attacking in third person (Press P).

• What’s up with javelin’s leaving a MAA at 2 HP? Come on devs, really?

• So there are different damage types? and armour types?
    OK, that could be communicated in game but nm, people will come here and find out.

What is the effect of dmg type and armour type, that excel is very helpful but I dont know the relevance to make decisions…
    thanks for the help

• figured it out at the right hand side :P

• @SlyGoat:

All classes have 100 health, but different armor values depending on damage type of the attack used; highly detailed damage values here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc … TZnc#gid=1

Shields block projectile attacks when worn on the back or held as well as when actively blocking, but only block melee when actively blocking.

Larger shields cover more area; supposedly they also take longer to bring up and to drop down, and cost more stamina to hold up, but I haven’t really noticed a difference myself.

Attack1, slash; attack2, overhead; attack3, stab. Of course for some weapons this is somewhat inaccurate (spears have no overhead for example, just two stabs), but it still corresponds to the same button press.

Don’t trust the percentage numbers on anything, quite frankly they aren’t a very good indicator of anything. The best way to know a weapon’s reach is to look at its visual model while attacking in third person (Press P).

This is awesome.
    Could please define windup/combo/release/recovery?
    I’m especially interested in time difference between two hits of a combo vs. one hit+small wait+another hit.
    Thanks.

• Do teammates take full damage or reduced?
    If I block, does a riposte trigger like a combo, i.e. i press attack while the block is happening? - I can’t see any difference in attack speed when I have blocked successfully.

Less serious question, why can’t team mates use stab when bunched up?

• @blueskin:

Do teammates take full damage or reduced?
    If I block, does a riposte trigger like a combo, i.e. i press attack while the block is happening? - I can’t see any difference in attack speed when I have blocked successfully.

Teammates definitely take reduced damage.
    I don’t think that parrying triggers a combo speed, it’s just a normal swing after a parry. Otherwise, no one would even swing and just parry then punish.

• @blueskin:

Teammates take 50% damage on official servers, but it’s a server side option to increase or reduce FF.

Attacking after a successful parry does indeed combo. Otherwise you would have to wait for the parry animation to end. It’s a small delay, but it’s enough that a riposte with certain weapons is unblockable - stabs with daggers and the norse sword are the ones I’m certain aren’t blockable with a riposte if you’re close enough. This will likely end up being a serious balance issue with the norse sword, which is already one of the most powerful weapons in the game, but I like the ability to make unblockable counters on daggers, considering most of the time you’ll be knocked out of range anyway. For most other weapons, though, the enemy has time to block after being parried before your counter hits them, so it isn’t especially useful.

• @SlyGoat:

@blueskin:

Teammates take 50% damage on official servers, but it’s a server side option to increase or reduce FF.

Attacking after a successful parry does indeed combo. Otherwise you would have to wait for the parry animation to end. It’s a small delay, but it’s enough that a riposte with certain weapons is unblockable - stabs with daggers and the norse sword are the ones I’m certain aren’t blockable with a riposte if you’re close enough. This will likely end up being a serious balance issue with the norse sword, which is already one of the most powerful weapons in the game, but I like the ability to make unblockable counters on daggers, considering most of the time you’ll be knocked out of range anyway. For most other weapons, though, the enemy has time to block after being parried before your counter hits them, so it isn’t especially useful.

Dear Mr. SlyGoat.

Could you please answer this one? This is in regard to the excel document you posted.

Could please define windup/combo/release/recovery?
    I’m especially interested in time difference between two hits of a combo vs. one hit+small wait+another hit.

Thanks.

• Can someone confirm or deny that the halberd/spear weapons do less damage up close when in overhead or slash? i.e. getting hit with the wood not the blade?

I keep seeing (mis)information regarding this.

thanks

• Windup - the period of time when you first start an attack. During this time the attack deals no damage, and if you take damage you will be flinched.

Release - the period wherein your attack is dealing damage. During this time your turn rate is capped.

Recovery - the period after your attack is finished and you return to idle stance. You cannot do anything during this period. Initiating a combo skips recovery as you don’t return to idle.

Combo - I believe this functions the same as windup, but is only applied for combo swings. Thus the difference in speed between an attack in a combo and an attack returning to idle is combo - (windup + recovery).

@blueskin:

Can someone confirm or deny that the halberd/spear weapons do less damage up close when in overhead or slash? i.e. getting hit with the wood not the blade?

thanks

Completely false.

• @SlyGoat:

Windup - the period of time when you first start an attack. During this time the attack deals no damage, and if you take damage you will be flinched.

Release - the period wherein your attack is dealing damage. During this time your turn rate is capped.

Recovery - the period after your attack is finished and you return to idle stance. You cannot do anything during this period. Initiating a combo skips recovery as you don’t return to idle.

Combo - I believe this functions the same as windup, but is only applied for combo swings. Thus the difference in speed between an attack in a combo and an attack returning to idle is combo - (windup + recovery).

@blueskin:

Can someone confirm or deny that the halberd/spear weapons do less damage up close when in overhead or slash? i.e. getting hit with the wood not the blade?

thanks

Completely false.

Does recovery also count when Im interrupted after being hit or when I miss? I’m trying to figure out exactly what it does. Do I combo slower? Attack slower? I’m currently playing MAA a lot and im trying to decide how much of an offensive advantage I get by not using the shield but I’m not really understanding it.

• Being interrupted flinches you for 0.4 seconds, during this period, you can parry but cannot start an attack. Any attack that does not go into a combo will always end with a recovery, including attacks at the end of a combo chain.

The spreadsheet in my signature also now contains almost all animation times with the exception of Javelins, which I’m still trying to get my head around. I used to be able to view individual animations in the Editor, but I can only go by names now, so it’s a little bit of guesswork.

Also combos wind up slower (with one minor exception as of this message, the Brandistock main stab. It’s not a gamebreaking issue by any means, but the issue is there, you can stab faster with it if you combo it from the lower damaging stab rather than doing it from idle) because there is no recovery period involved, but comboing is always faster than returning to idle because if you do, you have to factor in a recovery time as well as a completely new windup time.

The shield right now is a little bit easy. You are completely impervious to incoming feints so that’s a major part of gameplay you don’t need to worry about. On top of that, you can block attacks for as long, if not, longer than a normal parry.

• @Martin:

Being interrupted flinches you for 0.4 seconds, during this period, you can parry but cannot start an attack. Any attack that does not go into a combo will always end with a recovery, including attacks at the end of a combo chain.

The spreadsheet in my signature also now contains almost all animation times with the exception of Javelins, which I’m still trying to get my head around. I used to be able to view individual animations in the Editor, but I can only go by names now, so it’s a little bit of guesswork.

Also combos wind up slower (with one minor exception as of this message, the Brandistock main stab. It’s not a gamebreaking issue by any means, but the issue is there, you can stab faster with it if you combo it from the lower damaging stab rather than doing it from idle) because there is no recovery period involved, but comboing is always faster than returning to idle because if you do, you have to factor in a recovery time as well as a completely new windup time.

The shield right now is a little bit easy. You are completely impervious to incoming feints so that’s a major part of gameplay you don’t need to worry about. On top of that, you can block attacks for as long, if not, longer than a normal parry.

Is this correct?
    Two attacks in a combo: windup-release-combo-release-recovery.
    Two attacks not in a combo: windup-release-recovery-windup-release-recovery.

• Perfect!

• Thanks for the reply. That’s a little disappointing. I wish there were more of an advantage other than a faster recover if I just so happen not to combo. I don’t think a fire pot or throwing knives quite make up for the advantage a shield gives.

• I would like to see AoC’s system in Chivalry. It gave shields a big advantage to be able to both parry and constantly block, but in Chivalry the speed of combat is much faster, so shields would only be able to counterattack by parrying if they had the lengthy drop time they had in AoC, which would make them somewhat vulnerable to feints.