Titles

• random thought
    I played W.A.R for a while and that had a titles feature where if you completed certain achievments you got a fancy title that was shown underneath your name and you could choose one from all of your achievments
    -was pretty fun eg killing 15 chaos chosen gave you the title “The Chosen”, killing 15 sorceserors made you “the wise” earning one gold gave you “the hoarder”
    I can see phsyco alex being called the archer hater or sumtin mebs?
    any comments?

• id rather see a skill rating system based off of k/d and win percentages

• sorry but are you saying no too my ideaand explaining “i’d rather die” or sumtin
    or is that some idea you had and were putting forth?? :?

• Not a bad idea, though I’d rather reward titles for winning or participating in official events (duel tournaments, clan tournaments, etc), so a title is rare and each title unique. Of course, the two could be combined: you get generic titles for completing achievements and unique titles for ending first in a tournament. However, I personally wouldn’t really care all that much about titles gained by completing achievements. No reason not to implement it, though.

@Unnamed:

id rather see a skill rating system based off of k/d and win percentages

No offense, but I’d fucking detest that. I am strongly against systems that constantly track your performance in games, as that encourages an unhealthy form of competitiveness. I don’t want to be forced by my games to constantly perform as well as I can, sometimes I just want to fuck about with friends or experiment with the combat system. It’s blatantly wrong if the game would actually punish me for that behaviour by lowering my ranking.

I’m not against competitiveness, but there’s a time and place for everything. And the time and place for competitiveness is when you join a competition, such as a clan war or a tournament. I do not wish to compete with the rest of the world when I join a random public server to blow off some steam after a few hours of studying.

• I actually do like this idea, I’m not sure about whats the best way to implement it or whatever, but as a general idea, it gets the thumbs up from me.

• TheNarrator sums up my feelings in his post.

• Aye, TheNarrator sums it up well.

Maybe there could be specific server titles as well? As in the admins of the server can give any player a title and they will always have it on that server, but not others. It would allow for good, fun titles, but will also increase the variation of these titles throughout servers and such. And, of course, the player could toggle those titles if they perhaps related back to an embarrassing event on the server or something.

• Vq.| Vox, with his nifty hat
    <vanquisher>

TheNarrator speaks for most of the people who get the point of this thread though, having titles for tournaments as well as having them for certain achievments keeping them unique, something for people to customize and fun.</vanquisher>

• yeh i agree, although now we may need to make a forum for suggestions :jsmirk:

• @TheNarrator:

Not a bad idea, though I’d rather reward titles for winning or participating in official events (duel tournaments, clan tournaments, etc), so a title is rare and each title unique. Of course, the two could be combined: you get generic titles for completing achievements and unique titles for ending first in a tournament. However, I personally wouldn’t really care all that much about titles gained by completing achievements. No reason not to implement it, though.

@Unnamed:

id rather see a skill rating system based off of k/d and win percentages

No offense, but I’d fucking detest that. I am strongly against systems that constantly track your performance in games, as that encourages an unhealthy form of competitiveness. I don’t want to be forced by my games to constantly perform as well as I can, sometimes I just want to fuck about with friends or experiment with the combat system. It’s blatantly wrong if the game would actually punish me for that behaviour by lowering my ranking.

I’m not against competitiveness, but there’s a time and place for everything. And the time and place for competitiveness is when you join a competition, such as a clan war or a tournament. I do not wish to compete with the rest of the world when I join a random public server to blow off some steam after a few hours of studying.

No offense taken. Was just an idea. I agree with you though, there would be times i wouldn’t want my performance to contribute…tired, drunk, etc. Maybe there could be an option to join ranked/non ranked games or have it an option that you can turn on and off in your own settings. Although i see that being pretty exploitable. Anyway there could be both forms of titles so the person that chooses to not care about the k/d title could just display his make over 1000 heads roll title.

• @Campin:

yeh i agree, although now we may need to make a forum for suggestions :jsmirk:

/second
    (/avoidsrepetition)

• @TheNarrator:

This.

Back in the old days I could spend 4-6 hours a day playing age of chiv, every day. You cant stay competitive every single minute you play, nor is it fun. Trying new stuff would lower your stats, trying to master a new class would lower your stats, fucking around punching people in the face would lower your stats. Not fun IMO.

• @Wingy:

@TheNarrator:

This.

Back in the old days I could spend 4-6 hours a day playing age of chiv, every day. You cant stay competitive every single minute you play, nor is it fun. Trying new stuff would lower your stats, trying to master a new class would lower your stats, fucking around punching people in the face would lower your stats. Not fun IMO.

Exactly my thoughts. I dont care how high my “skillrating” is, but if something like that is implemented, it makes me care. Any game is more fun without anything like that. Fun should be the focus….and trying hard to keep my skillrating as high as possible is not fun (imho).

• I really like the idea of administrators being able to assign titles to players. It would allow for funny moments to be remembered and silliness to be had, especially if the player can’t choose to hide their title! (if you don’t like how the admins title you[or not title you] you can always play somewhere else)

• :D how bout title of “a god among men” the devs and something like “the chosen one” for admins?