Customizable Classes

• What do you guys think about the idea of being able to build your own custom class? Selecting from the three different armor sets and variety of weapons, at the same time being able to see your movement speed and armor rating change. Maybe with certain restrictions like once you select plate armor the bow is no longer available as a primary weapon. Would sort of work like Mount & Blade Warband.

• I believe this is being done to a degree. You select a base class and then choose a weapon/shield, and the weapon/shield will partially determine your speed along with the base class speed. At least that’s what I gather from what I know about the class system. Not sure if you can customize armor though, that would be pretty cool.

• I always found that the rather rigid class setups of AoC was one of AoC’s strengths, to be honest. I know, customization is fun and all, but when comparing AoC to M&B, I found that M&B really got itself into a lot of issues, balance-wise, to allow for that customization. The thing is that AoC’s weaponry isn’t just balanced by the stats of the weapon, but also by the accompanying armor and movement speed, which allows for much more precise balance finetuning. Want a big fucking axe? Then you’ll have to settle with the slow movement speed of the heavy knight. M&B didn’t do this. If you had saved up some denars, you could get your Nord Huscarl a Great Long Axe (which really had some balance issues, mostly among newer players), a Huscarl’s Round Shield (one of the best shields in native multiplayer), a onehanded sword and some throwing axes, and you’d barely notice any difference in speed (encumbrance really only comes into play when you’re wearing the heaviest armours, and even then it’s only a minor malus).

Now, the thing is that M&B’s approach is actually quite realistic, armour or weapons don’t slow people down all that much. But purely from a gameplay perspective, I think AoC did it right. As SlyGoat said, Chivalry will feature a slightly altered class system, but it sounds as roughly the same as in AoC. And I’m perfectly fine with that.

• yhei think the devs got this covered, but do you mean customizable armour value for that class/armour appearence (HK had more than crusader (who also had less than sergant :P )) or just generally choose the look of armour? either way sounds epic though ^^

• @Campin:

yhei think the devs got this covered, but do you mean customizable armour value for that class/armour appearence (HK had more than crusader (who also had less than sergant :P )) or just generally choose the look of armour? either way sounds epic though ^^

I was speaking more in lines of being able to equip different armor pieces on different sections of your body. And then being able to select different melee/ranged weapons. Also having the pieces you wear affect things like movement speed, swing speed, melee damage. As well as wearing certain pieces disabling the use of certain weapons, just so you dont see a guy running around wearing a plate chest pieces and naked/leather everywhere else shrugging off damage to the chest region and still out running everything on the field. It would allow people to fully customize a class to how they prefer to play at that moment. Itd be really difficult to do though, was just semi thought out idea i had.

• determining the type of armor in certain places of the body (legs, feet, chest, arms, hand, head) and displaying it on your character model would be far more work than these guys need to put into this type of game, as well as drastically unrealistic. You wouldn’t see someone running around with only leg armor on on a battle field, you may see mixed chain mail/leather, or plate/chain mail, but that’s as far as it would go.

• i would like a customization sytem like the halo series

armor and colors that do nothing other than make u look cool or absolutley ridicoulous

i guess it would be cool to have a mason character and an agathan character to separately customize

• this is where color schemes come into play really, they would have to make it so you could still distinguish which aside the player is on as, so i doubt they be adding that in only because they would be able to make all that much of the armor color codeable since most armor is grey or brown and having pink armor is just ridiculous. Although there is a little big of talk about customizing your heraldry in other threads.

• Maybe the helmet could be customizable. Wear a heavy helmet that has better protection from killing blows but limits your field of view or wear a light helmet.