Lore Speculation Thread

• All we know about the Chiv 2 lore so far is that it takes place 20 years after the events of Chiv 1. This confirms that Chiv 2 is not simply a reboot of Chiv 1, but a continuation of Chiv 1’s story. Indeed, the trailer shows that the factions are the same Agatha Knights and Mason Order.

This raises the question of what happens in the 20 year interim. If you recall my 2013 Chivalry Timeline theory (and you probably don’t, which is understandable), I concluded that not all the maps of Chivalry could coexist on the same linear timeline. Importantly, we see the potential deaths of both Feydrid (the de facto leader of Agatha) and Malric (the de jure leader of the Order). Even if they both survive their respective TB maps, one of them is guaranteed to die at Belmez.

In addition, many important cities (i.e. Irilla, the capital, and ruins) were already besieged in Chiv 1, so how can a war still be in progress after 20 years?

For some reason I have it in my mind that the war of Chiv 1 took place over only a couple of years. I must have gotten that number from back when I was looking into the Chiv lore.

Tldr: Chiv 1 showed massive damage all over the Agathian continent, so something must have happened in between Chiv 1 and 2 to explain how the war is still going on.

• Cows are aliens, they rule the chivalry world

• So, IIRC from the game’s online manual, the maps weren’t all existing at the same time. It was something like Battlegrounds Agatha win -> Hillside Mason win -> Dark Forest Mason win -> Stoneshill Agatha win -> Citadel ???. Belmez, Irilla etc. were just community maps so they weren’t “cannon” to the story.

• @SOC
    Doesn’t Hillside have to be first chronologically since it shows Agatha landing back on the continent for the first time?

As for the community maps, I thought it was said at the end of the map contest that the accepted maps were added into the official cannon, but I could easily be wrong about that. I guess I know what I’ll be spamming the devs about next time we get a slow day in #questions.

• I’m going to assume that since the Mason Order is still around 20 years after the fact, Malric did NOT die in Citadel. The Masons likely carved out a piece of the Agathian territory for themselves and the conflicts revolve around the 2 factions fighting over dominance for the continent.

The Masons likely made some land grabs after repelling the Agathian attack on Citadel, but were halted once Agatha was able to recover. I’m sure there were small lulls in the fighting between then, but the factions are still hostile to each other.

I wouldn’t count any community made maps as canon imo.

• @Knifelegs Or Malric DID die, and he just had a good second-in-command take over once he was gone?

• @Bandit-Hadron That actually seems likely to me. Malric was already a seasoned general by Chiv 1. I doubt, even if he didn’t die in Chiv 1, that the extra 20 years would leave him with enough strength to accomplish much.

• I feel like since the Mason Order was basically in its infancy, killing its king who had a cult like following and occupying his castle would pretty much stomp out the rebellion. I guess I could see a few Mason loyalists laying low after that and re-establishing The Order 20 years later, but I find it unlikely tbh.

IIRC the in game lore depicts Malric as a master tactician. Being old wouldn’t really affect his ability to rule as long as he can still strategize.

• Developer

How do you guys think we should convey the lore?

• @Killer-Crabs Similar to how the first game was done. You guys had a game manual that had the backstory in it an and website that was dedicated to it. Make sure the maps reflect the story.

Here’s the old stuff just for reference.

Lore book
    http://liveweb.archive.org/web/20130108194022/http://www.chivalrythegame.com/lore.htm

Game manual
    https://web.archive.org/web/20121202070231/http://www.chivalrythegame.com/files/manual_v5.pdf

• @Killer-Crabs Definitely through gameplay and map design. Let the game tell the story naturally - Chiv 1 was pretty good for it. Especially if you set map rotation on official servers to follow an official chronology of some sort.

• @Bandit-Hadron said in Lore Speculation Thread:

@Killer-Crabs Definitely through gameplay and map design. Let the game tell the story naturally - Chiv 1 was pretty good for it. Especially if you set map rotation on official servers to follow an official chronology of some sort.

Aye. This one. Major plot elements should be told directly to at least make the motives clear, but the majority of lore details should be shown through map design.

It’s really not even worth saying though; we already know Torn Banner are masters at this.

• Well perhaps the new lot could be the siblings come of age trying to forge their own kingdoms or taking over each others
    far in the future they could even be false’d to make an alliance in the event of a new sinister faction invading the kingdoms of both aye.

• @Killer-Crabs said in Lore Speculation Thread:

How do you guys think we should convey the lore?

How about a little intro with cinematics or animated comics? Or unlockable “scrolls” which you can read in the main menu. The more you play the more of the story you get.