Torn Banner Chivalry 2 Discord Q&As

• December 5th

Q: Torn Bannermen, what is your favourite Chiv 1 map?

Alex said Stoneshill. Marc and Brady said Darkforest.

Q: Will we be able to ride horses in first person?

A: That’s the current plan.

Q: will there be third person? the more i play mordhau the more i feel that 3rd person is just an exploit tbh

A: Right now we are exploring 3rd person as an option but it’s good to hear your input on the topic!

Q: Will chivalry will have like the old maps

A: The maps we’re working on now are created with the intention of providing a fresh experience to fans of Chivalry. These new maps will drive the story forward, but you may notice some details that nod at Chiv 1

Q: Will hidden cows return as an easter egg like they were in Chivalry1?

A: Last week I found something in game that I had no idea existed. I think it’s safe to say both devs and the community will have fun finding what’s been hidden around

Q: Any plans to include weapon specific missions? Or challenges in general that will incentivize playing in specific ways, ex: Kill 20 enemies by removing their leg with the battle axe, Decapitate 5 horse riders, etc - as a way to give exp or cosmetic unlocks?

A: We have definitely thought of cool ideas similar to the above, and there should be time to focus more on that stuff before we launch (and possibly get some community suggestions like yours too) - progression in general will definitely be more interesting than in Chiv 1.

Q: Do you have any information about something in the game which you are willing to share, but no-one has already asked about?!

A: We have talked about it a little but I would say that I really think our voice lines are awesome. I’ve really been enjoying playing with them and having “conversations” with allies and enemies using the voice lines lol.

A: Each character has a few customized voice-line selections that really help their personalities shine. For example: one voice has a particular set of “insult” options unique to that voice

Q: Will there be rcon protocol ready for release?

A: We’re not planning to have any sort of rcon functionality for custom servers at launch

Q: Can you block projectiles with a sword?

A: If it’s not an arrow or bolt, you can block it. :sunglasses:

Q: Will the assets to create maps be disponible during the alpha to start to work on maps?

A: Unfortunately no, that won’t be ready in alpha as it’s just not feasible for us to do.

Q: Do all the characters have map-specific voicelines for the objectives like in chiv 1? “We need that grain!”

A: Objectives will be called out to the player by certain VO, but it’ll be different to what was done in Chivalry 1.

Q: Do you have any plans for smaller gamemodes? for example 2v2, 3v3 or 5v5

A: The main focus is on larger game mode experiences, but watch this space for more info!

• Jan 30th, 2020

Q: I heard they are removing the Messer so newbies can learn to not rely on it

A: The messer shall draw blood again, for he hath hewn many archers and earned his place in the field

Q: How are beta/alpha testers decided upon? Random? Chiv Play time?

A: The alpha testers will be first alerted via our newsletter! There will be a mix of all of the above. We’d like to have people who know there way around Chiv and those who don’t so we can get both impressions.

Q: will there be underwater levels cos fighting underwater would be sweet

A: I’m not sure people fighting in armour would get much done underwater. Seems like it might be difficult.

[Editor’s note: no]

Q: Could the game’s combat system be used to develop a game that isn’t all about combat itself, but more of a survival game on a large open world with a building system and so on? I think many people would be into a medieval rust-type game. Something like Reign of Kings, but a good combat system and optimized.

A: This isn’t the game we’re actively developing, chivalry 2 is definitely a successor to chivalry 1 in many ways. Nice concept though! I’m a fan of those types of games personally

Q: Are any of the team focused on the specific issue of unreadability for the wrong reasons? Such as slow-looking / instant hit weapon movement or unnatural body bending in a windup? Would be curious to hear if this issue has been specifically looked at and if so, what potential steps are being taken to ensure that combat retains a level of skill, whilst evading the fate of the prior titles.

A: This is 100% the primary focus for our technical animation and design. This has been talked about previously a bit. improvements to the animation system in Chiv 2 help show how every motion is cascaded through different parts of the body proportionally. Turning your character to the left turns the hips a little, the upper torso more and the arms and head even more. This makes attacks more readable because they are closer to how they would look in real life; we aren’t just reading the weapon and arms, but what our opponent’s entire body is doing.

Q: Is “King’s Landing” the only GoT reference in chiv2? I feel like GoT references will be a hit with the community!

A: I know personally of one or two references :wink:

Q: Can we expect any new or different game modes beyond those found in the first game?

A: Our development focus right now is on improving some of the most popular game modes found in the first title, especially TO - which is now far more ambitious. We may explore new modes beyond that eventually, but this isn’t currently planned for launch.

Q: Will we have 17th century armors?

A: 14th/15th century are closer to our armor art inspiration. Though we aren’t locked to 100% historical realism (it’s a world we made up), the goal is more to recreate the romance of the medieval era as inspired by popular culture.

Q: Will there still be emblems within the customization on armors & shields? (Would be nice if players have the options of uploading a SVG/PNG file as their own emblem. Great for building a creative and engaging community.)

A: We aren’t planning on completely custom emblems as there is too much opportunity for inappropriate stuff (regardless of how cool it might be!), but emblems are a part of customization, yes.

Q: The description on the site says the game boasts thousands of voice lines. Any chance the voice lines vary based on character condition (like missing a limb, low stam, low HP, etc.), or are we just talking about a TON of different characters?

A: Voice lines are based upon a number of different states the character may find themselves in (like you said with missing a limb, etc) but are also heavily engrained in the manual VO system. We also feature several characters. Get your taunts ready!

Q: In the past you’ve said TO is your focus, can you give us any objective types (burn the farm) that we may see at release?

A: We don’t want to give too much away until you get to see it yourself. But yeah you’re gonna burn a bunch of stuff for sure.

Q: pretty new here, have the devs ever commented on the possibility of reverses in chiv 2?

A: Reverses are being handled the same way as the rest of our approach to the combat, which is to make every move readable and feel weighty and physical. It is still possible to pull back on the weight of your swing to some degree, but the result to your opponent won’t be as jarring of a freeze or teleport of the blade as it has more of a sense of committed weight to the strike.

Q: With 64p, how do you keep TO battles from being too cluttered?

A: Credit to our level designers for putting effort in to making sure each location has its own playstyle across multiple objectives. The areas of each objective were designed to offer a different experience, with some feeling wide open and others a mad scramble through a chokepoint. Each one makes for a great time before switching it up for the next objective.

Q: How about differences between the feel of maps? Do they have the same number of objectives or are some longer or shorter?

A: Different maps have a different number of objectives (within a reasonable range). All of our maps are thematically different with different visuals and atmosphere. We strive to add context to each fight so it feels like every battle you partake in has a purpose.

A: The TO maps are outright bigger than chiv1’s we should be clear about that, yes built for more players, but also built larger to provide a more epic journey on dramatic and sprawling environments. We’ve made a real effort to one-up the chiv TO experience as opposed to rehash it

Q: Will Chiv 2 feature both same & opposite side combos? As in Chiv 1, combos were limited to just same-side combos. Which was limiting in team-fights & 1vX scenarios. Plus makes the combat clunky/feel less fluid (for no good reason). Combos are like the glue that bind the rest together. It’s also unintuitive to input an attack, for it to perform another (e.g. If you try to cue up an Alt-Slash after performing Overhead—it performs a normal Slash regardless). I think this is one of the best ways to increase the skill ceiling of the genre, & also balance game (naturally, with no band-aids)— so not just feint/swing manipulation (break animation) meta, which is not fun.

A: Improvements to the combat toolset in terms of new combat moves, as well as the massive amount of work that has gone into making all animations far more readable and humanlike, has meant that our animation team already has a huge project on their hands that is far more ambitious than what has been seen in Chivalry and in other comparable titles. Due to the extensive amount of additional animation workload that would be involved in tackling something like this it’s not something we’re working on currently but it may be something we consider post-launch.

Q: on a scale from 1/4 how in depth is the customization in chivalry 2? 1 being 0 customization, 2 being weapons, 3 being skins, and 4 being completely in depth

A: It’s definitely in depth. Customization is focused on ensuring that everyone on the battlefield looks badass and caters towards an immersive and impression medieval environment that fulfills the battlefield fantasy. We have customizations for face, hair, weapons, armor and heraldries, and even a few more things.

Q: Will there be any new weapons introduced?

A: Chivalry 2 will have a good variety of weapons, but we’re also treating it as a bit of a sandbox. Finding things on the maps may come in handy in a pinch

• March 31st, 2020

Q: What’s the difference from Chivalry I shield mechanic and Chivalry 2 ones?

A: In Chivalry 2 you can hold up a shield for the duration of your stamina. If you run out of stamina, you will be disarmed. If your shield tanks too many hits, it will eventually break and be destroyed.

Q: Will there be an option to disable blood and gore?

A: There will be indeed! No more shielding your kids’ (or grandparents’) eyes as you slice through the masses

Q: Will you add any jokingly ridiculous weapons such as a stick or a kitchen knife?

A: A great benefit of treating the battlefield like a sandbox is more opportunity to do this kind of thing. One of my most memorable lives was kicking ass with a pitchfork, but the poker is my[Moonmoon] favourite

Q: How many players are you looking to have the servers max at?

A: 64-players!

Q: For Alpha testing, do the testers who provide feedback receive a response from the devs? Say, in the interest of clarity on the feedback or just for constructive discussion when it comes to working out kinks etc?

A: If we feel there needs to be clarification we may respond. Feedback that gets passed to us goes through multiple layers of people, so we can’t really give a definite answer of “yes we’ll do that” right away if we want to make a change according to the feedback. There is constructive discussion that happens depending on the feedback as well.

Q: Is Chiv 2 gonna have new classes other than the 4 you can choose between rn and if so which?

A: We are expanding on this more vertically than laterally. What I mean by that is the introduction of subclasses that can affect your playstyle or allow you to find a niche you enjoy playing within those 4 classes. We wont’ rule out the possibility of more in the future but there are currently none planned.
    There are also moments where you may play as people Other than the classes.

Q: What game modes can we expect? Would you consider something like CTF castle wars akin to Castle Wars in Runescape?

A: We have not yet communicated about game modes other than Team Objective and Team Death Match, but be sure that we have lots of ideas that we want to roll out, so anything can happen. We just need the time!

Q: What has the team learned from the alpha? Are there any glaring changes you guys are considering?

A: When we showcased the game for the first time at PAX it was a very eye-opening experience for us to see people who had varying levels of knowledge of Chivalry play in real-time. It exposed us to what players pick up easily and what things need to be more clear. We feel very confident in what we have to offer but are certainly open to tweaking things to make for the best playing experience possible.

Q: How are weapon restrictions going to work for the different classes? From the pax vids I saw on youtube there were MAAs with halberd, vanguards with gmaces etc

A: Spawning with certain weapons is restricted to which class and subclass you choose, although you’ll notice any weapon(or non-weapon) can be picked up off the battlefield by anyone.

Q: Will you guys be supporting the competitive part of your community, if yes in what ways would you plan to do so?
    A: Yes, supporting the competitive community is something that we plan to do. We plan to support both the casual and comp scenes as best we can. While we cannot specifically tailor the experience only towards the comp scene, there will likely be ways we can improve the experience for everyone as the game grows and evolves with your input.

Q: hi, will i be able to preorder the game soon ?

A: We haven’t opened pre-orders up yet, though pre-orders will be possible as we move closer to launch and should come with some perks.

Q: Are the animations final or just alpha state?

A: The animations are still in Alpha state, definitely not close to final yet. Our animation team is focused on polish for the rest of development. Our goal for Alpha state was to get gameplay representative in terms of combat mechanics, but not put time into making character animations look great until everything’s ready to be locked down - and then the quality level cranked up to a 1.0-ready state after proper testing.

Q: are there any plans for the SDK - i imagine it wont be at release ofc but is there any rough estimate on when it might start getting worked on ?

A: Mod support is something that we have in our pipeline, as we know how valuable it was to the Chivalry 1 community. However at this time I’m not able to speak on where it fits within our release roadmap, as our core focus will be on the release of the game.

Q: Will the version we played at PAX be the same as the one when launched or will you add more new things?

A: The feel will be the same but there may be adjustments to fine tune. Improving the flow of the catapults section for example, fixing bugs, and increasing to 64 players of course! (not to mention the pax version was only 2 out of 5 total stages of a much larger map)

Q: Did the COVID-19 situation affect development?

A: We are all working from home! That means that we are more productive because we don’t have to run in fear every time we see Steve walking around with a wooden sword and a smirk.

A: Working remotely has certainly been a difficult challenge we’ve had to adapt to. Keeping up our high levels of internal communication has had to move to regular video calls, and we’ve had to develop some internal protocols to make sure everyone stays in the loop. Overall I think we’re managing very well. We know we are lucky that all of us can manage our jobs from home during this difficult time.

Q: Will there be gloriously inadequate Man At Arms insults again?

A: You’re damn right there will be!

Q: […] I hope Chiv2 archers are actually balanced so that they cannot get 1 shot kills from across the map from locations where they cannot be killed. […]

A: We are taking the power of archers very seriously. This goes from damage tuning on the game design side, to preventing archers to find spots where they can’t be reached in level design. We have other solutions too, like placing ammo crates in spots that force archers to expose themselves or move around for example. I will not list everything here, it would be too long. So far I think we did a good job, but we will keep doing tuning and refining until it is as close to perfection as possible while keeping archer gameplay fun.

Q: Will you ever consider adding a Battle Royale mode after release? I think with these maps and this epic combat it would be a hit among the playerbase. I can say I’d certainly enjoy it
    A: As soon as we figure out how to include a plane in a medieval setting we maybe will consider thinking about it.

Q: Will there be any more weapon focused attacks similar to the q staff drop kick?

A: Yes, weapons will have unique attacks in this fashion - there is a lot more to be seen on this front in the future.

Q: will there be more hidden cows?

A: Maybe. Maybe there will be more than just cows. Maybe not. You will have to see for yourself

Q: do the members who have developed the game have a plan to talk about their professions, the tools and knowledge used to develop the game via interviews? We don’t know much about the studio and the people who work in it.

A: We do have plans for developer blogs going forward, specifically pertaining to members of the team and also about development as a whole. Stay tuned!

[Editor: If you’re interested, check out this playlist for their “Dev Diary” series that they made for Mirage.]

Q: Can we reload xbow while moving?

A: Like in real life, no, you cannot.

Q: what went behind the decision of holding block ? isnt a reaction parry/block more skill based

A: More details coming on this later as it is part of the new combat system flow and doesn’t make sense to just think of it as Chiv1 + held block, but a good way to think of our approach to it is that held block uses stamina as a very temporary way to absorb a shot or two before coming back with your own across a variety of skill levels. You will still need to time blocks with “perfect parries” to be stamina efficient and effective at higher levels of play. However we are making sure that if you stay on top of someone turtling you still quickly overwhelm them. Anything predictable can be punished.

Q: How come the lore trailer is pure filthy Agathian propaganda?

A: We wanted the lore trailer to represent some attachable themes that can be related to at first glance; the Masons as the black-wearing scary guys, Agatha as the gallant knights in shining armor. We all know it’s a lot more complicated than good vs bad though; consider the lore trailer as a fun and flashy re-introduction to the lore that establishes the timeline and basic setting, that will be far more fleshed out in both the game and other forms.

Q: Is combat balancing being done with a more casual playerbase in mind or is there some intention for a competitive playerbase?

A: Our goal is to land somewhere in the middle. We do not want to alienate new players to the genre by overcomplicating it, and we don’t want veterans to feel like the combat has been made too simple. Our focus is to give the players a toolset that they feel they can use to adequately defend themselves and learn the mechanics, while also allowing for the opportunity to dive deep into the combat system to really see what it’s capable of.

Q: As far as customization goes will there be team based customization?

A:Yes! there will be loads of stuff for each class on each team. Its important for players to be able to distinguish classes of other players but we still want to give people the freedom to change how they look.

Q: Will each map feature it’s own music?

A: While upping the scale of the battles; we took a look at how music can compliment the gameplay to help accentuate the experience. We’re using it to highlight certain moments, to help players experience a sense of desperation or courage during the right moments. In other ways we’ve allowed the scale of the battle to fill out the stereo field, things will feel much bigger/more epic than before

Q: will you add a shovel as a weapon

A: We do have one. You won’t be able to Minecraft your way under the maps though.

Q: Can we expect the old cosmetic symbols from Chivalry 1 to come back? and will there be more?

A: We won’t be directly importing old Chivalry 1 cosmetic assets into Chivalry 2, but I think there is certainly a chance we can re-create fan favourites.

Q: Crypts return and hordetown? Or any other pve mode?

A: Those maps and/or PVE modes aren’t planned for launch nor currently in production. But we know how much fun those were in the first game, so don’t rule it out for the future.

Q: Will I be able to set my opponents on fire?

A: Oooh yeah! And in a few different ways too! Make the battlefield smell like pork!

Q: How big of a part of combat will the abilities be, and will we see any abilities that incentivize teamwork?

A: A few do incentivize teamwork but most are offensive. We had a group of footmen block off a chock point with planted spears in a recent playtest.

Q: will there be jump kicks?

A: there ARE jump kicks.

Q: Will the development team be working with content creators for events in the future when the game has been fully released?

A: Indeed! We’ll be looking to support content creators and their interest in Chivalry 2 as much as possible. And I’ll [Jen (the CM)] be the point of contact for that! I of course always look forward to interacting with all players, casual, competitive, content creators, whoever.

Q: Will there be another wave of testing or do we just have to wait for the full game?

A: Yes, multiple Alpha waves.

Q: Can we have multiple team deathmatch like in Deadliest warrior ?

A: Not planned for launch nor in production. But we love zany fun like this, you never know post-launch.

Q: Which version of ue4 are you using?

A: 4.22 + a lot of custom stuff made by our talented coders!

Q: Are the original Chivalry 1 voices going to be available for use?

A: Yes! You will have the choice to customize each class with their Chivalry 1 voice.

Q: I probably missed it, but, are hit trades going to be a thing in Chiv 2?

A: No hit trading in general in Chiv 2 in our design currently.

Q: How will healing be handled? If I walk, will that trigger healing? Are there medkits that can be tossed or bandages?

A: After some time has passed out of combat you will regenerate a certain amount of health. If you want to restore your health fully you will be able to use bandages found around the maps. Your teammates can also throw you some if they feel generous or if they have a favor to ask you. This is something we’re still currently iterating on to make sure this mechanic feels good in gameplay.

Q: Horse maps?

A: This is something that we have toyed with and would like to do, but it may not make it in for launch because of time constraints.

Q: Will Chivalry 2 release with a healthy amount of different maps/battlefields in order for the game not to get stale to quickly? […]

A: Our intention is to ship the game with enough maps that fatigue won’t happen. After that we have plans to roll out more maps on a semi-regular basis. We know that players can get bored easily and we are decided to not let that happen!

Q: what is an already announced feature that you are really excited to show to the playerbase? I’m personally super excited for the 64 player matches.

A: We have thousands of voicelines across many different actors; including your old fan favourites from Chiv 1. Personal [Jen] favourite is Squire Boy from our Chiv 2 lineup: The Mason Archer voice option!

Q: Will I be able to cleave through multiple enemies at once?

A: Yes, heavy attacks do this. [Editor’s note: All attacks can hit multiple enemies. Heavy attack swings continue even if they are blocked, although dealing no damage to the blocker.]

Q: Will 1 v X scenarios give benefit to timed parries or will turtling in held block be the meta when attacked by multiple enemies?

A: You cannot turtle up indefinitely. If you’re parrying multiple hits, especially heavy attacks, your stamina will drain very quickly, especially if you’re not landing any hits as the defensive player. Similar to Chiv, the game favors timed parries, target switching, counters, clever movement, footwork and other offensive play will get you the win.

• April 20, 2020

Q: hows the development going? :3

A: Hey there Conzor! Admittedly it’s been a bit bumpy as we transitioned from working in studio to all working remotely, but we are staying in the loop with each other as much as possible through daily meetings so we stay on track. Hope you all are doing well during the crisis!

Q: Does kick flinch?

A: Hey there! Kick knocks back the person you’re kicking but it doesn’t currently flinch. It does however break a held or shield parry (guard break).

Q: Aside from movies like Braveheart, are there any other sources of inspiration for Chiv 2 that we might not be aware of?

A: Gladiator, Troy, Kingdom of Heaven, 300 and Paddington Bear 2

Q: Is held parry on all weapons final or open for revision?

A: We believe very strongly that held parry is the right direction, though I understand the hesitation towards it. The game is balanced with this in mind.

A: Held parry is final. We think it’s important for people to react naturally and be able hold to block, while there being some quick/serious consequence to doing so for too long. You may or may not have played yet but I’d try to not to think of it as just “chiv 1 + hold to block”

Q: Will the soundtrack ever get a release on bandcamp, spotify, or other audio platforms? Let me hear the tunes!

A: Buckley says, “I am pretty sure we will release the soundtrack in some way, but we haven’t made concrete plans on how.”

Q: How will chiv 2 improve combat over chiv 1 and mordhau?

A: Everything has been overhauled from the combat in Chiv 1. We aim to create a satisfying and responsive combat system that is approachable, but also very vast for the more hardcore competitive players. It focuses on control, feedback, and readability while being cinematic and exciting. We want to let players express their creative destruction, with style! And of course this comes with us keeping close communication with you, the players, to get valuable feedback on making it even better.

Q: Could there be light and heavy shields? For instance wooden shields break easy but you can move fast, and metal shields break slowly but you move slowly

A: We currently have three tiers of shields, they don’t change movement speed but they have different durability across the three. To clarify, this is still being adjusted and iterated on

Q: Important question, in chivalry medieval warfare when you are blocking with a shield for a long period it drains your stamina and then when you have no stamina left, your character starts to breathe heavily and as long as you are holding the block bouton. So since I like to roleplay as an asthmatic knight I want to know if it is going to be possible in chiv 2.

A: Characters do have out of stamina breathing, so if you are worried that those sounds would not be available to take suggestively out of context, have no fear.

Q: How are shields differentiated from weapons in blocking?

A: Shields have the ability to block arrows, and you do not lose weapon when block is broken due to being out of stamina. Shields allow you to tank far more hits, however shields will eventually break.

Q: Can you block arrows without a shield?

A: At this time you cannot block arrows with non-shield weapons.

Q: Will there be a flail

A: Not at launch

Q: Are there any plans on decreasing archery potential, especially one hit kills?

A: The strength of archery is something that we constantly tweak. We want archers to feel fun to play but also not frustrating to play against. I can’t go into the specifics of the balance at this time as it’s constantly changing, but wanted to let you know that this is something we’re aware of and keeping an eye on.

Q: Will swing manipulation be as important as the last chivalry, or are you trying to tone it down?

A: Swing manipulation remains an important part of Chivalry 2, but we’re focused on making sure it remains realistic and reactable.

Q: Would you put more attention into archery instead of other medieval games?

A: Another archery question! Archery has always been a focus of ours. We even have a few very hardcore archer players in our development team! We aim to make it fun and satisfying, allowing you to be deadly at all ranges, and feel like a fully integrated part of medieval battle field.

Q: is combo parry a thing? ( this is not to be confused with combo feint to parry), i’m talking about attacking and then in the end of the release phase you simply right click and queue a parry ( it was used to avoid late trades or hit someone and then block someone elses attack that was coming in. most people don’t remember this mecahnic)

A: This isn’t currently present in our alpha builds. We are trying to achieve a system where there is more commitment to a strike than what combo parry allowed.

Q: will we ever get to hear the old voice lines?

A: Players will be able to customize their voices and can choose between new personalities or classic characters.

Q: Will Chiv 2 have a more limited FoV than Chiv 1? I understand everyone wants as much of an advantage as they can get, but the tunnel vision looks really ridiculous when watching streamers/tournaments.

A: Yes. We want to provide players with as much of an advantage as possible while preventing the tunnel vision you’ve described. Like all challenging things it’s a balancing act that we’re committing to find the right answer to.

• May 11, 2020

Q: Are you guys going to focus on trying to improve the negative reception of the game among the more casual mordhau community? I frequently see and hear people bashing this game despite me loving it.

A: We’re confident that anyone skeptical about Chivalry 2 will have their minds changed once they have their hands on it. We’ll be releasing more trailers/videos/gifs/screens/etc in the near future for people to chew on and get a sense of what’s coming. Ultimately we know we can stand by the experience that people will have in Beta and at launch, and judge it for themselves.

Q: As developers, what part of the game is the MOST important to you to get right? What’s the greatest emphasis being placed on, etc.

A: As a level designer it is important to me that players have many options to get to the goal they set for themselves as well as the game objective. If it feels good, interesting or smart for you to use the map to your advantage, then I know I did a good job.

Q: Would there be more emojis for discord server?

A: In case you’ve missed it we now have a #😄new-emojis-wanted channel where you guys can make and submit your own, and be given a special role if your emoji is selected to be used in the Discord.

Q: Have you guys (the developers) done a big LAN brawl between yourselves yet or no?

A: We all brawl at least twice a week. And sometimes in Chivalry II too.

Q: Easter Eggs?

A: We spent easter in isolation this year, but still threw some eggs in

Q: Will AoC voices be returning? YEHEHES HAHAHAA

A: From Age of Chivalry? Not the exact files, but the same actor will be 2 Knights!

Q: will be interactive items on the maps, like a sword to pick up?

A: Yes, there will be lots of things to pick up on the maps. Weapons, tools, books, rocks and many other things, some even stinky…

Q: will the vanguard still scream like a lunatic

A: You bet!

Q: What is the purpose of swing manipulation in a game that has held parry?

A: It is essential to use swing manipulation and footwork in order to beat your opponent to the strike when both are attacking. Additionally, it is still possible, especially in combination with feints to get around the side of your enemies parry. It’s also just an essential part of what makes you feel in control of your swing during the animation, its the FPS part of the game that allows for precision to counter your opponents footwork.

Q: What is it like to spam your own voice via the voice overs? (Buckley in particular)

A: [From Buckley] A: It feels fantastic. I get to choose from my two moods, fun loving and giddy or annoyed and elitist! Such a rare opportunity too. I particularly enjoyed being the only person able to spam my voice during Alpha.

Q: As developers, what part of the game is the MOST important to you to get right? What’s the greatest emphasis being placed on, etc.

A: FUN! The greatest challenge and accomplishment of any dev team is how the whole product comes together to create excitement and a unique experience for the player. The most important thing is that we give players something that feels new and significant and for us that is a mix of capturing the romance of the medieval era, with all of its iconic moments which of course center around mastery of the sword and becoming immortal as the greatest warrior the world has ever known. Or, just having a laugh and screaming battlecries from the outhouse, up to you.

Q: Will the old maps from the AOC like Monastery, the Shore, Siege?

A: Not for launch, but maybe one day? There is no plan yet, but revisiting maps from AoC and Chiv I is something that we would like to do if time allows.

Q: Will there be proximity voice chat?

A: No plans for this right now, it’s just a little too hard to moderate and we’ve chosen to focus on other things.

Q: Will there be specific graphical settings for people with lower end specs? For example, if I were to play this game at a good fps but not compromise graphics too much, I would think the ability to change the resolution scale would be useful.

A: Yes, we’re thinking a lot about lower-end hardware. There are a bunch of video options. Resolution scale is an option, and it’s an option we would consider useful for anyone who wants a performance boost, especially if they’re playing at very high resolutions. Temporal upsampling is in use and improves the quality of resolution scaling a lot.

Q: Will we get a chance to play with our great devs?

A: The devs actively play during the alpha testing, and we are very keen to keep being involved throughout the alpha and into the beta period as well. I think it’s pretty likely you’ll run into someone from the team at some point!

Q: Are you guys planning content for after release?

A: Yes we are! We are already thinking about what more we want to add in the future. We aim to keep supporting the game alive for a very long time, which includes adding new content.

Q: Will modders have have access to the scripts (anything that isn’t Native code at least) or will we just have access to blueprints?

A: The SDK for Chiv 2 is something that I can’t speak to quite yet as to when it’ll happen, but it is something that we are planning on. There is no non-Blueprint scripting in Chivalry 2 currently, so there would be no issues with SDK not having access to blueprints.

Q: Is the balance going to radically change every build? I really liked how consistent, even if not perfect, the balance was in chiv 1 and weapons didnt randomly shoot up to OP from one build to the next, then back again the next one.

A: In alpha, balance is bound to change as we gather more feedback, same with beta. As game releases balancing should be more refined during updates but are subject to changes as we see fit

Q: How much torso movement is there when you look up and down? Can it still be used for dodging attacks effectively?

A: Dodging is still effective yes. In terms of the actual torso movement, as with all animation, our aim is to keep it readable and reactable. Instead of the torso moving specifically on its own, the movement actually cascades throughout the body to make more sense visually.

• Here’s a compilation of the answers from today’s Q&A session. If you want more accurate sources, just search one of the questions in the #questions channel in the Chiv 2 Discord.

Q: When does the NDA expire, on game release?

A: Hey there! The alpha NDA only lasts for the length of the closed alpha. Relatively soon we will get into the beta stage and we won’t be enforcing the NDA anymore but there will be at least one (possible two) rounds of closed alpha first.

Q: Who composed the music for Chivalry 2? The main menu theme and in-game music is pristine as always.

A: JD Spears! https://twitter.com/SpearsSounds

Q: Are there plans for additional maps after release?

A: Yes, we will keep updating the game with new content and that includes maps.

Q: Are there any plans for small team game modes such as 3v3 or 5v5

A: No concrete plans yet but that is something that we would like to explore.

Q: Are there plans for us to be able to pick up the other severed limbs of our enemies?

A: We don’t have any solid plans for this but it would be great to pick up arms and legs, I agree! When it comes to other pickups though we’ve done a lot of work to include a lot of fun assets for players to pick up. Some ones we’ve mentioned are the chicken for example, cooked chicken legs, bread, horns, beer steins, anything you can pick up we want people to be able to use them as weapon!

Q: Hello. Will Shields be nerfed to death just like in mordhau? Shield was wonderfully tactical to play. You had low range, low damage (except warhammer), low vision while blocking etc. But you where feint proof. I think it was a fair trade but mordhau devs listened to the noobs calling shield op.

A: There’s been a lot of discussion on shields recently internally as well as in alpha tests, from durability to damage with certain abilities. We want to find a spot that feels good for them and will continue to explore that.

Q: Will there be an incentive to parry instead of holding block?

A: Simply holding block will only take you so far and will wear you down quick. If you’re not careful your stamina will run out and you may even end up being disarmed. Timing a block with a counter attack will be an important part of your fighting experience to help you gain the upper hand.

Q: Is the combat in Chiv 2 similar to Chivalry (only improved upon)? I love the distinct, fluid, arcadey/fun combat feel that Chiv had - minus the ballerina stuff of course.

A: Our goal has been to take all of the best elements of the first game and make combat even better. That includes getting rid of those ballerina exploits for sure. This is something we have been actively iterating on during the closed alpha for example, it’s helps us a great deal to see what skilled players are capable of and what we need to tighten up to improve the combat. I wouldn’t say it’s a straight upgrade as Chiv 2 combat certainly has it’s own style.

Q: Will we be seeing any concept art in the near future? I’d love to see some behind the scenes work.

A: Great question! This is something we’d like to share in our blogs in the future, without spoiling things like customization too much.

[We still got some concept art though. Moonmoon posted this concept art of a fight between a Mason and Agatha knight. Aurel uploaded this old concept art of an Agatha footman.]

Q: Is AoC canon to Chivalry, or are they separate timelines?

A: Age of Chivalry and even Chivalry itself’s lore are much like an oral history. Passed down by word of mouth from generation to generation, and often embellished over a bit too much mead at the tavern table.

Q: How much research is being done to make animations semi realistic? I’d really recommend Skallagrim if you guys want some in depth explanations and demonstrations

A: Quite a lot! Some of the members of the dev team practice various types of fighting themselves, and before lockdown it wasn’t out of the ordinary to see people with foam swords acting out scenes for animations.

Q: Will there be a focus on on team work and coordination in matches or the collective technical skill of every player?
    A: That depends on the objectives. In Team Objective maps certain objectives require multiple players to be accomplished in time. Other objectives require players to stand as a united front. Others [rely] on the ability of players to kill fast and well. In Team Deathmatch team playing is the best way to ensure victory. Lone wolves can have a huge impact on the final score, of course, but they can’t win the fight alone.

Q: Will chiv2 have desert-themed maps as well? You asked the community about a real-life location they want in-game and the majority seemed to have agreed on Jerusalem.

A: We won’t have a desert map for launch, but something like this is definitely not out of the equation for post launch. We do take the players suggestions for what they’d like to see into consideration. And we would love a desert map as well!

Q: There have been mention of classes, but models in trailers seem to feature a wild assortment of weapons, armors and even abilities. How rigid or fluid will the classes be separated from each other?

A: In our first trailer not all of the weapons for the classes were finalized. When it comes to armour we like to maintain a specific silhouette per each class, meaning: knights always have full plate armour, vanguard always have their lovely skirt, etc. This helps players easily determine the class at a distance. Weapons are less rigid. There are weapons bound to each class, but you can also pick up weapons off the battlefield if you can find it! Kill an archer and steal their bow if you want to, and end up as a full armoured crossbowman.

Q:Will fishing be added to Chivalry 2?

A: There isn’t fishing, but there is a fish carryable in game

• June 17th

Q: Will the game be updated on a regular basis?

A: You bet! We already talked about the Epic exclusivity deal solidifying our post-launch position financially, but we think it should be even more clear with the console release that we expect the game to stick around for some time. Post-launch content is a big part of our roadmap, more details to come.

Q: How long do the devs plan on supporting the game post-launch? Do you believe that you will continue to add weapons, or do you intend to include everything in the full release?

A: Yes, additional weapons are on our post-launch roadmap.

Q: What was your thought behind using DX12 over things like Vulcan or staying with DX11?

A: DX12 isn’t particularly well-supported by the version of UE4 we’re using. We do have it as an option, but most users will not see any benefit from it as a result, and may even have problems. We’re mostly giving it as an option because it’s the only way to use Intel’s variable rate shading (VRS) which provides a nice boost for newer Intel GPUs. We are not providing Vulkan as an option.

Q: Tried looking this up, but still wasn’t sure. If I use a PS4 for the first year, would I then be able to move to steam and keep my progress? If not, I’m stuck with PS4, or I start over.

A: Account linking is not planned at launch.

Q: Can you include the significance of ping and packet loss in the official tutorial? I’ve noticed countless newbies getting kicked and banned from chiv servers simply because they don’t know any better about having too high a ping

A: We definitely agree this is something that new and even experienced players need to be made aware of, we’ve been talking about this stuff recently in fact. Not sure if it’ll be a part of the tutorial specifically but we’re definitely looking into ways to improve this communication to the player

Q: I would like to know if there will be ‘events’ of any sort? I know stuff like Halloween and Christmas might be more suited to a game like KF2, but perhaps some sort of map changes / aesthetics or maybe events like the progression of story could perhaps be plausible?

A: We have these kind of ideas all of the time here - we’ll have to share more information after we launch the game, but definitely expect some fun timed things / seasonal stuff post-launch. Post-launch map content will also play into and continue the wider narrative of the Agatha vs Mason conflict

Q: first question: how do i get into the beta? second question: is mason knight voice from first chiv still going to be availiable?

A: You’ll be able to get into the beta in the same way as the alpha. We’ll have a closed beta period where we’ll hand out keys to those who signed up, and then we’ll have an open beta after that. And yes, we do have returning voices from Chivalry: Medieval Warfare!

Q: any chance a 240 system like mordhau will be added to the game?

A: No 240 system

Q: is the crossplay will be directly available directly after the game launch ?

A: all platforms crossplay at launch is planned

Q: Will you be able to use alternates consecutively in a combo? (For example: Alternate overhead, alternate Overhead, stab)

A: You can’t combo into the same attack (e.g. cannot alt overhead combo into alt overhead… you’d need to alt overhead into normal overhead or any other attack type)

Q: Is feinting bannable?

A: No, but to elaborate: Feinting is far less frustrating on the receiving end due to held parry. It is still useful but with Chiv 2’s mechanics there are more options for both attack and defense.

Q: Is a predetermined questionnaire the best way to get chiv2 feedback to improve the game?

A: I write the questionnaires based on information our designers are looking to hear about. On top of this we also read the feedback channels here in Discord and on the forums from the alpha players. We try to create many avenues for people to give us feedback in a way that is both easy for them and useful for us.

Q: will be there good anti-cheat?

A: We’re planning on using Easy Anti Cheat!

Q: Will be here good optimalization for Low End Computers?

A: Big focus. Mind we have to run at a consistent framerate on consoles that are nearly 7 years old at this point.

Q: Will console hold PC graphics back?

A: No, console ports are handled in a different way that optimizes them for the console they’ll be played on and that will not affect PC graphics.

Q: Will the servers be crap like the ps3 and xbox 360 version?

A: Servers on the console release of Chivalry 1 were listen servers, run by one of the players, with the inconsistent performance and networking issues that come with that. Chivalry 2 servers are dedicated servers, always.

Q: […] will the beta run on console? […]

A: We do plan to do a console beta. Can’t speak to the details yet because we don’t know them

• June 29

Q: will there be capes in chivalry 2?

A: No capes.

[This is just for launch though. More cosmetics may be added later.]

Q: Will Chivalry 2 Beta come to consoles?

A: Yes this is the plan! We don’t know all of the technical limitations or hurdles for this quite yet, but console beta is on our roadmap.

Q: Will it focus on the story more than the last game we really aren’t focusing on the plot than killing players?

A: Yes definitely! There is a lot happening in the world of Chivalry and you will be on the front row to see it happen. Each map also features its own storytelling and environment narrative.

Q: Will the game contain Easter Eggs (weapons, armors, etc…) or secret cosmetics ?

A: There’s some great easter eggs across the departments, be on the lookout for them!

Q: I saw the gif of the fish the other day, what other kinds of “joke weapons” can we expect? In other words can i hit someone with a clothes iron?

A: I won’t spoil all of them but among the most popular internally we have candelabras, ballista bolts and branding irons.

Q: sorry if this has been answered, but how much variety will there be in the classes?

A: The class structure is similar to Chivalry 1 in that there is the four clases: Archer, Vanguard, Footman, and Knight. Each class has specialized weapons, an individual health pool, and we’ve been currently testing different armor values in the alpha. This is something that is subject to change as time goes on.

Q: How do held blocks affect melee play compared to, say, Mordhau?

A: We have talked about this a bit before, but we believe that held block is critical to the scale that we are trying to achieve. It allows players to successfully defend themselves in 1vx situations with a higher success rate. With that said, we’re also looking at other ways to improve 1vx as well. We’ve had great feedback in the alpha so far that’s lead to some interesting discussions and changes.

Q: do the game gonna take more time to develope because of the COVID-19 ?

A: COVID-19 has definitely caused a lot of challenges throughout the gaming industry as a whole. Right now we are focused on doing our absolute best to stay on schedule and stay connected with everyone on the team.

Q: what do you plan to put in place to make it an even playing field in terms of pc players vs console with the crossplay side of things

A: We are still in the middle of lots of console tweaks and testing, but playing Chivalry 2 with a controller feeling surprisingly good! I’ve played it with an Xbox controller. If you’re in the alpha you can already play it with the controller as well on your PC. Definitely send any controllers feedback into the alpha channels if you end up giving it a shot. Like with all things it’ll take balancing, but we plan to provide some aim assist to consoles as well.

Q: Will there be a team hitstop like in Mordhau?

A: Hitting a teammate causes a hitstop

Q: What are the plans for matchmaking/server browser?

A: Right now Chivalry 2 offers a Quick Play option that will automatically fill you into a server that has an open slot for you. We expect that many people will use this option. We also still offer the server browser where you can choose a server from the server list.

Q: Will there be an MAA stick again with a lightning-fast stab?

A:“lightning fast” is something we’re avoiding due to the issues of readability and fairness. We would rather create an experience that is skill based rather than using one move over and over again

Q: Will feints be a large part of a players skill set such as mordhau or will they be a lesser part of combat

A: Feints have their niche in the new system and are definitely still used by experienced players

Q: will there be weapon and armour customizations? Like a vast variety?

A: There will be customization options for both, as for how much you’ll have to wait and see!

Q: How much will game balancing come from the community vs internal decisions?

A: I think that is a conundrum that every game developer faces! The goal is to have a good mix between community opinion and developer intention so that the game feels good and fun to everyone. Ideally good communication between TBS and the community will keep this in a good state. There may be some balance disagreements that come from this, but the overall goal is to keep the game fun and healthy.

Q: How do you plan to teach the mechanics of the game to new players? do they have to learn from playtime or do we get an tutorial?

A: There’s a few ways we’re looking at this. Part of it is through playtime, some through UI indication, as well as through tutorials

Q: Will you be able to break blocks if someone is just holding it? So the game isn’t entirely a stam war

A: Breaking blocks is possible through kicks and a few other techniques currently. You’ll notice that experienced players will find ways around people who simply hold block and attempt to turtle

• July 13th

Q: Will we see a party/squad system? (Being able to quick join games with friends)

A: We do like the idea of parties so we’re investigating the possibilities of a system like that.

Q: Can we expect to see more narrative in the game? Perhaps either as a story, a continuous war similar to Planetside 2, or cutscenes throughout each battle?

A: We are aiming to expand upon the lore present from Chivalry 1 and while we aren’t talking specifically how this is done we have plans to do so :slight_smile: The primary feature will be the narrative tie ins to the maps you play!

Q: would you ever consider to have a mechanic for the archers to have the ability to shoot multiple arrows at once?

A: We’ve half joked/half debated about it, but there are currently no plans

Q: Will you be able to specifically colour parts of your armour? Individual pieces? Like a scarf around the neck or a plume? Perhaps a cape? Would like to see more specified control over what your character looks like, it’s really annoying when there’s an item part of a set that just doesn’t fit what you’re going for.

A: Much of our customization system has not been revealed yet but we keep the idea of sets in mind when creating our armour so that the pieces do have a specific overall set that matches best, but they can be mixed up to create something more original. There are limitations, and we focus on individual heraldry. We keep our colour palette very consistent, so that a Mason always looks like a Mason and an Agathian always look like an Agathian.

Q: When chivalry will be released on consoles will first be an alpha or beta or the complete game?

A: Crossplay testing will take place in combination with our pc beta rather than having it’s own separate beta. When console is released it will release as a full game

Q: How will you manage toxic players and behaviour in this game ?

A: We are investigation a number of solutions to this. We want to foster a community that is welcoming and our goals reflect that. EAC (our anti-cheat) as well as a chat filter also help to manage potential toxicity.

Q: How many devs are needed to create a game of this size? Just the 11 devs on this discord ?

A: We have just over 30 devs working together in office plus some external efforts to bring this game to you :slight_smile: (from home. thanks Covid)

Q: Will there be more gore? for example splitting a man in half

A: There will be plenty of gore… maybe too much. Some examples include being able to continue fighting with severed limbs, and picking up decapitated heads :chivomg: to use them as a weapon.

Q: Hey Jen. Are there any current plans for a coop mode, for example horde mode?

A: Co-op is not something we’re planning on implementing at this time, but we have internally discussed and planned other modes outside of the confirmed TO and TDM.

Q: Are the devs interested in fostering a competitive scene around this game? and how do you plan to make balance changes? Around competitive or casual?

A: Long story short here is that yes we do plan to support a competitive scene with Chivalry 2. I have done a lot of thinking on the best ways to do this and am very open to any suggestions you guys may have as well. In terms of balancing, we will take all players into consideration when it comes to balance changes. This is something we will look for input from both comp and casual players to see what fits best. Balance changes are and will always been an ongoing process with the goal in mind to do what is best for the enjoyment and health of the game.

Q: Will there be a 240 system similar to mordhau?

A: No, Chivalry 2 does not have a 240 system.

Q: Will you guys be releasing any gameplay videos showing off the game prior to launch like you did for Mirage?

A: Absolutely, 100% yes.

Q: Are we ever going to see who is winning the war?

A: Our plan is to have future maps continue the story, so you’ll have to see

Q: How powerful will accels be?

A: Drags and accels will play an important role in the combat, but we want to limit the ridiculousness of extreme drags. We want to keep the combat fun yet readable.

Q: Will Chiv 2 still maintain its loveable goofy sandbox feel? One of my favorite things about Chiv was the freedom and character it had. Was it attempted to preserve this? Or will this be more focused on pure pillaging?

A: I think Chivalry 2 is definitely what you make it. If you want to be a super serious alpha knight who racks up the kill count you can totally do that. If you want to be a silly archer and run around voice lining at people while you pepper them with arrows in the back you can do that too. There is a mix and serious and silly voice lines, and we there has definitely been an attempt to preserve both play styles. I routinely crack up from silly antics while play testing.

• Sept. 14 2020

Q: Will the game be available at launch with multiple editions ? (classic, legendary, collector, etc… )

A: Multiple editions are planned. You’ll have to wait and see for more info on that.

Q: Will there be more “meet the devs” posts akin to the one by Marc?

A: Indeed! We’d like the community to meet more of the team so expect more of these in the future.

Q: Will there be special events or game modes? For example like archers only, infection, ballerina moves enabled, etc.

A: Yes, we are planning on creating cool modes and then rolling them out on a certain basis. The fun will be kept alive!

Q: Will there be themed patches?

A: Chivalry 2 will continue to receive updates after launch, as for what those entail you’ll have to see then

Q: Is the game ever coming to Steam? If so, is there a planned date for it?

A: We do plan to bring Chivalry 2 to Steam, approximately 1 year after the Epic Games Store launch.

Q: Do you have any plans for mods?

A: Post launch, we do want to pursue mod support.

Q: Will you run this game like a live service so we get a ton of updates for years rather than a Chivalry 3?

A: We plan on a long life for Chivalry 2 with a ton of post-launch support and updates. The proof will be in the pudding!

Q: There will be support for the south america servers?

A: our current plans are launch day official server support for SA, NA, AUS, ASIA, NA, EU

Q: Will there be a sickle as a weapon, specifically one you can spawn in as?

A: We have a good number of tools as weapons but you need to find them in the levels to use them.

Q: Are you guys back in the office? Are you guys enjoying development? Is everyone okay?

A: We are still working from home. Everybody is fine and safe, thank you for caring!

Q: I know it super early to ask, but will there be DLC’s when the game is finished? Thanks for your work

A: Yes there will be DLCs of various sizes and content. We intend to keep the game alive as long as possible!

Q: Will chivalry 2 have splitscreen on both console and pc ?

A: No splitscreen planned

Q: will there be a darkforrest remake?

A: Dark Forest will return as a location but not a direct remake

Q: Will there ever be a limit to classes?

A: We’re exploring this as a balancing option

Q: Will there ever be directional weapon swinging/blocking like in the mount and blade games?

A: No, mouse direction will not be used as the input for swing directions or blocks etc. Of course, you can do regular vs. alt direction swings using keyboard or mouse button input like in Chivalry 1.

Q: When we chop of someones head will we be able to pick it up and throw it ? this is a real question

A: Sharpen your swords and get throwing

Q: will there be weapon durability ?

A: That could be an interesting mechanic. But no, handheld weapons cannot be damaged currently. You will drop your weapon if you run out of stamina and are struck, though.

Q: WIll chiv 1’s old maps be in chiv 2??? (E.G Belmez, Kings Garden, etc.)

A: Chivalry 2 will progress the story of the first Chivalry which means that canonically old battles won’t be repeated. However, it’s not impossible that old locations may be relevant in the continuing story

Q: Will you translate Chivalry 2 on Russian?

A: Russian will be an available localized language