Making my games matter

• Great game! On my PC Gaming blog, I selected CMW as the better of all the first-person slasher games. (URL: http://pcgamingchronicle.wordpress.com/ … t-slasher/)

I do have one problem though (and this extends to each slasher): Win or lose, I do not care.

But, I want to care. I want it so that a victory is more rewarding than writing ‘Agatha is Victorious’ across the screen. At minimum, I want it to go down on a record (that I can access) as a win; but more than that, I’d like to think that playing well has its rewards, even if those rewards do not affect balance.

Suggestions
    -Keep each player’s statistics for each weapon they use, each class, and in general
    -Allow friends to see each other’s stat profiles
    -Start a leader board for stats for each class, each weapon, for each game type, and overall
    -Add fun challenges, like ‘Kill 3 opponents in one life as an archer with a melee weapon’ or ‘Chop off 5 limbs in one life’ or ‘Play 2 hours without team wounding’ or ‘win 5 games of team objective in a row’ or ‘kill 3 knights in one life as a man at arms’ etc…
    then…
    -Have custom looking armor (same stats) unlocks based on kill/death ratio with a specific class
    -Have custom looking weapon (same stats) unlocks based on kill/death ratio with specific weapons
    -Have other custom looking unlocks based on challenges
    -Have other custom looking unlocks based on win/loss ratio for each specific game type

With the addition of stats, profiles, leader boards, challenges, and unlocks, I would care how I played and if I won. I would be proud of improving stats when stat profiles are available. I could show my unique play style and/or my elite skills with the custom unlocks I get. These stats and unlocks would also connect me to the specific game types and success therein.

Finally, adding these types of challenges and unlocks gives the developers yet another means to influence game play beyond the balance/mechanics that are already in place. If developers want to see class abilities like MAA dodge or VG charge attack, they can simply add interesting challenges and unlocks related to them. A good example of this may be adding challenges for number of blocks in one life to encourage more tactical play and less spamming.

• Fun facts after the matches is something I really really want. Here’s some examples;

Most kills: X
    Most damage done: X
    Most assists: X
    Most teamdamage: X
    Most teamkills: X
    Longest arrow/spear/axe kill: X, Y meters
    Most kills as Knight: X, Vanguard: X, Archer: X, Men at Arms: X
    Most decapitations: X
    Most objective points: X

I don’t really like the idea with rewarding kill/death ratio with custom skins. It will make players even more cowardly on objective maps. It will make players try to go for cheap ‘finishing blows’ instead of damaging/assists. It will produce even more archers.

• I hate gamers these days.

• @GamingShyGuy:

Fun facts after the matches is something I really really want. Here’s some examples;

Most kills: X
    Most damage done: X
    Most assists: X
    Most teamdamage: X
    Most teamkills: X
    Longest arrow/spear/axe kill: X, Y meters
    Most kills as Knight: X, Vanguard: X, Archer: X, Men at Arms: X
    Most decapitations: X
    Most objective points: X

I don’t really like the idea with rewarding kill/death ratio with custom skins. It will make players even more cowardly on objective maps. It will make players try to go for cheap ‘finishing blows’ instead of damaging/assists. It will produce even more archers.

i agree about the k:d ratio, making it too important just makes players cowards and encourages the use of exploits

also, similar to your idea, remember how in goldeneye (N64) everyone got awards after the match (i.e. most honorable, most cowardly, longest innings) these were fun. something like that would be great IMO.

• I would love to see rewards at the end of a match, most notably visual unlocks based upon your skill. I dont want any armor of weapon models to make me stronger, just make me look like a badass if in fact I am one. :)

• It’s a video game. You are supposed to be sitting down and playing for a short period of time, for fun. All this sentiment that you have to be “earning” something by playing is an incredibly cancerous notion to game design, and has helped to turn games into intentionally addictive things akin to drugs. People will chase the carrot on the stick infinitely, devs have learned this, and are exploiting it in an ugly and disgusting way.

I was refreshed that when I started up chivalry, I saw that I just had to get a few kills to unlock weapons. I don’t want more. Stat tracking will be good…But the moment it’s in, I’ll start having less fun, and caring more about stats.

Can’t we just play a video game anymore? I have to go to work all day already. I don’t need something else to “work” for.

• @Swayze’s:

It’s a video game. You are supposed to be sitting down and playing for a short period of time, for fun. All this sentiment that you have to be “earning” something by playing is an incredibly cancerous notion to game design, and has helped to turn games into intentionally addictive things akin to drugs. People will chase the carrot on the stick infinitely, devs have learned this, and are exploiting it in an ugly and disgusting way.

I was refreshed that when I started up chivalry, I saw that I just had to get a few kills to unlock weapons. I don’t want more. Stat tracking will be good…But the moment it’s in, I’ll start having less fun, and caring more about stats.

Can’t we just play a video game anymore? I have to go to work all day already. I don’t need something else to “work” for.

Yeah you’re right having rewards would make the game too fun/ addictive. Like in skyrim I hated how I had to play the game for like 100 hours in order to get the best armor/weapons. They should just start you out with all the best stuff so you can just play the game. Ya know, like people used to in the good ol days.

Gotta catch em all? Lame. How about just starting out with all the Pokemon, then we can just play the game. (Disclaimer: I played Pokemon when I was like 10)

• It’s a first person slasher, not an (MMO)RPG.

• Definetly good ideas.

• Most of those stats were available in AOC under player profiles on Steam. There were even some server side admin mods that would do similar things as well. To bad the devs chose more helmets instead of giving us proper admin tools….