Awful Hit Detection

• Clearly at times your see your sword, axe or what ever disappear through an adversary and it deals no damage to them at all.
    Its really putting me off an otherwise great game.

• @BigPickle:

Clearly at times your see your sword, axe or what ever disappear through an adversary and it deals no damage to them at all.

Probably your connection latency. What ping do you play with?

• Watching videos, I thought this as well.

In the actual game, it’s much better, some of the best I’ve seen.

• Mkilbride do you play MAA a lot? I could swear remember killing you yesterday on Hillside at around 10 pm PST.

• I tend to stick to low pop servers, and I run into this problem at most once every few days.

Perhaps you are playing on those 64 player servers?

• The hit detection system is precise with many tracers, this video shows that: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXnGr-g07pI&feature=plcp

I would also very much agree that it is network related as people have already said, if you try playing on your local machine by creating your own game against bots, is it much more precise?

Low ping, high quality servers should be the resolution to this, presuming your internet connection hits the requirements. :)

• It feels like playing against 100+ pingers is impossible, blocks and hits don’t register more than half the time. I check the scoreboard always just to see who has crazy ping so I can avoid them entirely. IMO Europeans shouldn’t be able to join NA servers, 200 ping with a hammer is just plain bad manners.

• @acrh2:

@BigPickle:

Clearly at times your see your sword, axe or what ever disappear through an adversary and it deals no damage to them at all.

Probably your connection latency. What ping do you play with?

Hi thanks for the responses. I Aim for servers that use below 60 ping, if i can get below that awesome.
    My net runs at about 60Gb (supposedly) and general ping is normally around 6 -10 when running a speed test.

If in game player latency is what you believe to be the deciding factor then there needs to be a ping kick function in the game, like say ping more than 100 it auto kicks these players.

• @Scorp:

The hit detection system is precise with many tracers, this video shows that: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXnGr-g07pI&feature=plcp
    )

The video does display the problem and that is that if your inside the arc rather than in the red zone of the arc the blade does not hit them, this is what i have found in game.

Plus the over head chop animation is bad, if your right handed you would bring the sword/axe up to the left across your body as apposed to directly upward, you would loose half of your power in drawing that way, test it at home and you will see exactly what i mean, tbh its common sense and it just makes that animation look feeble instead of being the most powerful move you can perform.

• The hit detection is alright.

However, it’s far too simple to spam attacks in the game.

You may claim that spammers are easy to beat. And true, most of them are quite noobs and can be shredded if you block their incomming attacks and can put yourself on the offensive.

However, when someone with a 1H is literally in your face and swinging left right, you have to turn yourself, and your view, 90 degrees to the side, sometimes as far as 120 degrees to the side, thus losing the view of your opponent, which we all know is a fast way to get yourself killed.

I do appreciate the fact that you have to aim at the blade and time it to actually perform a block. That makes it twitch based and encourages skillful play.

But I do not appreciate that the combat, especially up close with spammers, forces you to do ballet turns just to ward off an attack. I’ve played melee oriented games for a long time (since early M&B) so I enjoy duels against skilled opponents where it actually feels like real swordplay. However, out of principle I have also swapped to MAA and gone for the spamming approach to try it out. And really… if you have experience with melee games… the spamming is amazingly powerful, largely due to the weapon being outside your opponents screen making them unable to block unless they turn around to lose sight of you.

With the MAA and dodge, as soon as they turn to block, you dodge opposite way and put yourself behind them… whack, whack and they are dead. It’s so incredibly powerful due to the fact that the opponent MUST turn around to have a chance at blocking, an obvious opening you can exploit, especially as MAA.

The block detection against 1h spamming needs to be tweaked so you don’t have to turn yourself around all the way just to block and incoming attack. Optionally, there needs to be better collision detection so they can’t literally be inside your character while they are swinging, which effectively makes their attack directions come from behind you, i.e. you have to turn 120 degrees to block it.

I love the game, and besides three issues,

1. Block detection (as mentioned)
    2. Multiplay servers with fake player counts (I refuse to play Multiplay anymore)
    3. Archer accuracy and damage (2 shotting vanguards regularly)

Then I actually enjoy the game.

It could use some more maps on Team-Objective though. Burning the village and killing the trebuchets is getting a bit old.

• @NeoRussia:

IMO Europeans shouldn’t be able to join NA servers

You just have a lot of hate within you for europeans.

• People need to accept that multiplayer games are occasionally going to have crazy shit happen. At least until we all have south Korean level internet. That said, the hit detection is some of the best I’ve seen, I think many of the issues are people not understanding the block mechanics. I see loads of people complaining that you can’t block overhead Mauls for example, because they don’t look up.

• Also another thing that happens with high ping is the animations are not synced correctly on your side, so what will end up happening is you will see a zweihander or a maul combo so fast that it’s impossible to block or the animation will randomly get played right after, often with ghost reach and it being completely unblockable. Not to mention high ping players don’t get hitstunned so they can just spam you down. Happens on shitty servers with good ping too.

• @NeoRussia:

Also another thing that happens with high ping is the animations are not synced correctly on your side, so what will end up happening is you will see a zweihander or a maul combo so fast that it’s impossible to block or the animation will randomly get played right after, often with ghost reach and it being completely unblockable. Not to mention high ping players don’t get hitstunned so they can just spam you down. Happens on shitty servers with good ping too.

And that makes the game unplayable at times, desync in a game this size shouldnt be an issue.

• Hit detection with longer weapons like Bardice or Halberd is off when enemy is directly in front of you. Hits clip through blocks and shields often.

• @POOP:

Hit detection with longer weapons like Bardice or Halberd is off when enemy is directly in front of you. Hits clip through blocks and shields often.

This isn’t even limited to halberd swings. You can also “spinstab” with the halberd, which makes the game feel a bit too much like Warband. Sometimes you’ll even apparently miss and still kill your target. My connection is far too good to be causing that.