Javelin fix not included in hotfix?

• @Im:

I was not part of the beta but should this bug not have been squashed during that period of time? That IS the purpose of a beta is it not? 6 days after release is appalling for this to still be around.

I agree one hundred percent. It’s ridiculous.

• I’m not sure what they are doing with our money. I have a feeling that they simply don’t want to hire/ask for more hands on deck to help, and are just doing this with 3-4 people even though the game obviously has grown larger than their team can handle. I’m no expert on UDK but I can safely tell you these changes are taking wayyyyy too long to roll out. You aren’t recoding anything as much as you are changing lines/editing variables.

It’s simply sad to see the games growth hurt by this.

• @rinaun:

I’m not sure what they are doing with our money. I have a feeling that they simply don’t want to hire/ask for more hands on deck to help, and are just doing this with 3-4 people even though the game obviously has grown larger than their team can handle. I’m no expert on UDK but I can safely tell you these changes are taking wayyyyy too long to roll out. You aren’t recoding anything as much as you are changing lines/editing variables.

I believe its like 15 people. But having said that, I love how long it takes the Javelin to reload. I get much satisfaction from using my shield to block the Javelin, then cutting the helpless thrower down! :x

• I’m sure the javelin isn’t as broken as some other functions. I’m still waiting on a shortbow fix so I can ranged properly :)

• @rinaun:

I’m not sure what they are doing with our money. I have a feeling that they simply don’t want to hire/ask for more hands on deck to help, and are just doing this with 3-4 people even though the game obviously has grown larger than their team can handle. I’m no expert on UDK but I can safely tell you these changes are taking wayyyyy too long to roll out. You aren’t recoding anything as much as you are changing lines/editing variables.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2203

All hands from all departments are currently working on patch 1. It is much more involved than changing lines and editing variables.

• @Chuckdatass:

@rinaun:

I believe its like 15 people. But having said that, I love how long it takes the Javelin to reload. I get much satisfaction from using my shield to block the Javelin, then cutting the helpless thrower down! :x

This thread has nothing to do with the reload time, try reading? It’s bringing up the fact that if you kill someone by throwing a javelin at them, it doesn’t count towards unlocking the next weapon. You have to use the stab move to get it to count.

• @Andrew:

@rinaun:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2203

All hands from all departments are currently working on patch 1. It is much more involved than changing lines and editing variables.

Perhaps we could get an insider’s perspective on why it’s more involved? Please, enlighten us.

• I am not directly involved in any of the development process and cannot speak for the devs, but I can tell you from personal experience that while you certainly can put together a patch every couple days, compile it, get the build ready, and get it on Steam, doing so slows down the process in the long run because of all the extra work it takes to make frequent small patches instead of less frequent ones that address more issues.

Hence why the hotfix only addressed the most serious issues, so that things which are truly gamebreaking and preventing some people from playing would be taken care of, and the team can stay focused on getting the rest of the changes for the next major patch ironed out and - above all - thoroughly tested to make sure they don’t mess anything up, or else they’d have to release yet another patch to fix what broke. And then you face even more community outrage for trying to fix things faster, as we saw the other day when people jumped to the conclusion that the hotfix was the reason the server browser stopped working when it was in fact Steam’s fault.

It pretty much boils down to a question of “Do you want it done quick, or do you want it done right?” - and the answer should be obvious.

• On this topic, there’s another annoying bug with javelins. You can’t use war cries while wielding a javelin (both the stationary and mobile varieties). The only way is to switch to secondary weapon, war cry, then switch back.

• @grimlp:

@Andrew:

@rinaun:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2203

Perhaps we could get an insider’s perspective on why it’s more involved? Please, enlighten us.

I’d love to know myself how it’s more than changing variables. This is the UDK development kit, not some proprietary engine. As I said in the first post, I’m not expert in UDK but I have enough experience in several other SDK kits for engines to know that for a team of 10-15, it shouldn’t take nearly as long to do what you’ve hotfixed. Is it taking too long to gather adequate or correct bug feedback? Maybe a bug tracking software should be used and shared to the public so we can mark bugs, rather than balance issues. I’m just simply lost on why it’s taking so long with the ease of editing you have with the UDK kit.