Droping weaponds

• What if you tried to block a two handed weapon with a one handed weapon giving a slight chance to drop your weapon or even bend the one handed weapon.

• Lol. That would make parrying completely useless with a one handed weapon versus a two handed. Heavies/crusaders could just run in and go for the attack knowing that if the other guy parries they still have a good chance of winning.

Parry is meant to give you an advantage for succesfully halting an enemy’s attack, not as a way to lose your sword.

• Agreed with dragonfury. Apart from balancing problems, it would also introduce an unnecessary element of luck in the game. And I think that in a skill-based game, that should be avoided.

• No thank you.

• @dragonfury:

Lol. That would make parrying completely useless with a one handed weapon versus a two handed. Heavies/crusaders could just run in and go for the attack knowing that if the other guy parries they still have a good chance of winning.

Parry is meant to give you an advantage for succesfully halting an enemy’s attack, not as a way to lose your sword.

@TheNarrator:

Agreed with dragonfury. Apart from balancing problems, it would also introduce an unnecessary element of luck in the game. And I think that in a skill-based game, that should be avoided.

@-Slash-:

No thank you.

• What’s about the actual option to discard your weapon?

If you have a shield, just drop it and use your sword two-handed. Maybe with the benefit of regaining some or all of your stamina, this would be a quite useful action. This could also be possible for spearmen, just fight on with your secondary sword.

• Regaining stamina for dropping a piece of equipment seems a bit silly to me, but perhaps it would make sense to get a slight movement speed boost if you drop a particularly encumbring piece of equipment, such as a kite shield or long spear. Then again, this functionality wouldn’t really add all that much to gameplay, so I don’t think it’s really worth the trouble, to be honest.

• Borrowing a bit from vox,

THAT GRAMMAR, IT BURNS!!!

• From my experience, thanks to a frustrating bug in the earlier builds, I can honestly say suddenly finding yourself without the ability to attack or block is no fun at all.

• It’s a good point, blocking an overhand blow from a giant war hammer with a one handed sword should be pretty ineffective. Shields should be more effective at blocking bigger weapons because it distributes the force over a greater area.

• @Fragsmore:

It’s a good point, blocking an overhand blow from a giant war hammer with a one handed sword should be pretty ineffective.

Sorry to dip into semantics a bit, but the one handed “block” isn’t a block, it’s a parry. You aren’t stopping the full force of the weapon with your titanium arms, but more like softening the blow. I’m sure parrying with a light weapon against a heavier weapon will have appropriate and scalable consequences.

• Well, against heavy weapons, blocking/parrying is more of throwing the swing away from you, redirecting it in better words, not absorbing it, like it is with a sharp weapon, but ofc you have to take some of the momentum to do that and maybe some pain with it.

• In AoC you took some damage when you parried a larger weapon, so I’m sure Chivalry will have something to give heavy weapons an advantage against smaller ones in a similar fashion.