Joke Maps

• Ok, this probably isn’t a genius idea, but I thought I might ask anyways.

I was surprised that there were not joke many maps in AoC, especially given the malleability of the source engine. Although there were a few nonsense maps (Like maps made from strange textures and impossible floating architecture.) there weren’t nearly as many as I thought. I think I can’t even count them on one hand. I personally don’t care either way, but I just found it strange.

Now I know we’re far away from really getting into modding maps, but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for making joke or nonsense maps. I know we all like a serious game, and that new visual assets take time. But still, I think having medieval battles take place in unusual locales (like a space station or an aircraft carrier) would have some lasting novelty for those who are just looking to have fun.

Anyone but me thinking of this? Let me know what you think.

• hmm… i know i woudl probably never play it, not really into that… but im sure there are people who do, so weird that they didn’t make more joke maps in AoC, unless there isn’t that many who likes that kind of maps

• I’m getting into map making…I might make a “Joke map” if I get spare time. I’m already teamed up with someone that has ideas for me for real custom maps for chivalry, not randomness. But If i ever get spare time I could do this for you, I’d like to hear what kind of other ideas you have first. that’s how i can start making a map based on what you’re saying.

in other words, when the kits come out for chivalry for the UDK that will actually give me the means to make a map that at least looks like it’s for the game.

If i have nothing planned, and you share your ideas with me, I will make something based on your idea. Of course, i will get map making credit, and you will get credit as well, just for being the guy the has devised the map in your head. so basically, I’ll get physical credit, you’ll get the mental credit.

• I think everyone who considers making a level thinks about a joke level at some point. I tought it would be funny to have a scifi spacestation level, but actually have a plausible story behind it. The players would spawn in cryochambers and in the level there are many of these chambers filled with people from different timeperiods and exhibits of their posessions. Regardless of waking up in a situation like that Agatha and Mason still only care about killing eachother.

• @MDK:

I think everyone who considers making a level thinks about a joke level at some point. I tought it would be funny to have a scifi spacestation level, but actually have a plausible story behind it. The players would spawn in cryochambers and in the level there are many of these chambers filled with people from different timeperiods and exhibits of their posessions. Regardless of waking up in a situation like that Agatha and Mason still only care about killing eachother.

Ahahah this right here sound awesome! i can imagine all them abducted specimens frozen in time, waking up, not knowing what the hell is going on, and just fighting for pure survival in an abandoned ship, that actually is a wararena, all rooms are set up with cameras broadcasting in to the whole universe. Intercalactic Gladiatorfights, pleassure right there lol.

• @MDK:

I think everyone who considers making a level thinks about a joke level at some point. I tought it would be funny to have a scifi spacestation level, but actually have a plausible story behind it. The players would spawn in cryochambers and in the level there are many of these chambers filled with people from different timeperiods and exhibits of their posessions. Regardless of waking up in a situation like that Agatha and Mason still only care about killing eachother.

This is the kind of imagination you need to have a “joke map” people. Just think of it as some kind of abduction of medieval characters taken on a spaceship they wake up find themselves on a space ship, (they think they are still fighting the enemy) then they start fighting, and that’s where the gameplay comes in.

• There were more in AOC than you you know, I massed quite a few custom maps for AOC and have them on our AOC server, like CS-Office, Death run, a soccer map, and a few others. I need to finish up the 6 maps I was working on and just release them, probably over thanksgiving break.

I would love to see a Monty Python based map using several movies, sound effects and the like, of course the obvious would be Holy Grail but maybe mix in the spaceship from Life of Brian and some of their sketches, because no one expects the Spanish Inquisition.

Or maybe a mario style map….

• @Retsnom:

I would love to see a Monty Python based map using several movies, sound effects and the like, of course the obvious would be Holy Grail but maybe mix in the spaceship from Life of Brian and some of their sketches, because no one expects the Spanish Inquisition.

I had this tought a while back that a catapult would sometimes very rarelty fire a cow instead of a boulder. This woudln’t necessarily require a joke map, but could be an easter egg on a normal one.

• I’ve been giving this some thought, and I think I finally came up with a decent idea.

Have you ever read “The Call of Cthulhu”? If not, SPOILERS.

My idea centers around the end, at R’lyeh. You have one team of cultists assaulting the island, and their goal is to open the door to let Cthulhu out. The other team is defending, trying to stop the cultists. This is obviously a TO map.

The mechanics are this.
    Phase 1 - The cultists must turn 2 wheels located near each other in order to span a chasm which will allow them to progress to phase 2. The wheel do not need to be turned at the same time, and some cover should be provided them from archers. This will open the rest of the map physically, but not objective wise.

Phase 2 - With the map open, the cultists must now push a large, slimy brazier forwards up a slope about the span it takes took push the corpse wagon from beginning to reservoir in Dark Forest. The push culminates at the door from which Cthulhu emerges.

Phase 3 - The brazier alights when it hits it final resting place, and the goal of the cultists is now to make a sacrifice to Cthulhu, obviously by scoring X amount of kills from the defending team.

If the cultists win they’re rewarded with a short animation of the door opening and mist pouring out. Unfortunately I don’t think any of the source material (Chivalry) would work for this, so we’d need all new models for practically everything, but I think the core TO mechanics would work just fine so long as they can be paired with different models. Also, there’s the storm and lightening sky already in existence, as well as an ocean.

As far as look materials go, I was thinking something like these:
    http://mrloach.files.wordpress.com/2009 … inish2.jpg
    http://images.epilogue.net/users/paulcarrick/rlyeh.jpg
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Z9s-Vw2dz20/T … u%2529.jpg

Edit: If anyone wants to talk about doing this map, or others, Sam Colt [1138] is my Steam name. I have 800 hours of Source SDK under my belt. And yes, I’m aware this is UDK.

• @MDK:

That is an awesome idea honestly.